Latest news:
Untitled Document

Try bonus points for the losing team
Discussion started by Graham_U , 13 September, 2020 22:28
Try bonus points for the losing team
Graham_U 13 September, 2020 22:28
As pleased as I am to see the team get a point out of today's match I really don't like the concept. I see it as rewarding failure or poor defence. There was a time today when it did us more good to let in a try rather than defending in our own 22, just to get into the wasps half to chase the fourth try without wasting time, and that just can not be right. I remember in the champ we gave someone a 80+ points stuffing but they still got a 4 try bonus point despite being 50+ points behind. That is wrong!
I like the French rules where a try bonus is given for being scoring 3 tries more than the opposition. I'd be tempted to do the same for losing bonus points, IE. Take a point off the winner. That way both sides have a commitment, so if you get a bonus point you've really earnt it.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Re: Try bonus points for the losing team
Rinkadink 14 September, 2020 02:36
I like it, gives matches that could otherwise be pointless some meaning/significance.

It was important for Wasps to stop us securing the TBP.

Gray_Lensman 14 September, 2020 06:12
If it was important to Wasps to stop us getting a TBP then surely it was up to them to stop us getting one? Or at least try to.

foinavon 14 September, 2020 13:10
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
If it was important to Wasps to stop us getting a TBP then surely it was up to them to stop us getting one? Or at least try to.

They did try but we were too good for them! (Sm152)

St00 14 September, 2020 13:35
So as I understand what you're proposing is that a losing side could not earn a TBP and a LBP is subtracted from the winners total?

ie
Team A 21 (3T) - Team B 0 (0T) 5-0
Team A 30 (3T) - Team B 10 (2T) 4-0
Team A 21 (3T) - Team B 18 (0T) 4-1
Team A 21 (3T) - Team B 16 (1T) 3-1

It does seem like a minor improvement to the current system. Albeit it's a very specific set of circumstances that are highlighting the weakness in the current scoring.
I think its unlikely to be taken up due to the sports ambitions to see growth in America. In the early days of professional 'soccer' there was resistance to the idea of matches being drawn.

Graham_U 14 September, 2020 14:09
That's pretty much it St100, although there could be tweaks. I'm not expecting it to be taken up, and I'm sure you are right about the USA. But I think point should have meaning to both teams in the match, and there should never be a case when it's in your advantage to stop defending.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

Rinkadink 14 September, 2020 19:51
You say that but sometimes it's advantageous to stop attacking and just shut up shop, kick territory and defend so it works both ways. This is just the opposite end of the spectrum?

Graham_U 14 September, 2020 21:40
But I don't see anything wrong with that Rinky. We came third under HRH playing that way. Defending your position is very different from giving away tries just to get back up the pitch for a chance to get a try bonus point.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

Rinkadink 14 September, 2020 22:32
Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just as there isn't for wanting to play attacking rugby and score. I'm just not seeing what the difference is?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net