Latest news:
Untitled Document

Team for Dragons
Discussion started by JMills , 15 September, 2020 09:41
Team for Dragons
JMills 15 September, 2020 09:41
Based on who was rested on Sunday it looks pretty likely that we will be going with our strongest possible side against Dragons on Friday. It will be good to see our best 15 on the pitch, probably with the exception of a proper 12. Pat did say that Bedlow may be fit but would be a big call to throw him straight back in for this game.

I am going for:
1. Woolmore
2. Thacker
3. Sinckler
4. Attwood
5. Vui
6. Luatua
7. Earl
8. Hughes
9. Uren
10. Sheedy
11. Purdy
12. O'Conor
13. Radradra
14. Morahan
15. C. Piutau

16. Byrne
17. Lahiff
18. Afoa
19. Joyce
20. D. Thomas
21. Cook
22. Malins
23. Leuia

Re: Team for Dragons
Stevie_Wonder 15 September, 2020 09:54
Assuming everybody is fit I think you're almost spot on JMills.

Only change I think could be Lloyd instead of Leuia on the bench. I know he covers similar positions to Malins, but Pat loves him (fully understandable)

Interesting that Purdy seems to have leapfrogged Leiua and was deemed surplus to requirements at Glos. I think he's really stepped up since signing for us, great to have that competition, especially with the new RL convert en route as well.

Dieselpup 15 September, 2020 11:05
I know i'm going to get a kicking but ...

Malins to start at 10 ????

I dont know why there is just something niggling at me saying "start Malins" .....

BS7 15 September, 2020 12:21
Quote:
Dieselpup
I know i'm going to get a kicking but ...
Malins to start at 10 ????

I dont know why there is just something niggling at me saying "start Malins" .....

+1. Presume the minutes played counts towards the restrictions so perhaps share with CS? I would still prefer a top 4 than a cup run but that's personal choice but also aware of history when we 'burnt ourselves out' in the Euro Cup & struggled thereafter.

Charlie1 15 September, 2020 12:26
Dieselpup. Spot on. We play best when we have a real tempo to our game and Max Malins will inject more of that especially from attacking quick ruck ball which is what defences fear. Good footballing brain. Good kicker. Even if he doesn’t start it would be great to see him come on after 55/60 minutes when, hopefully, the gaps begin to open. A tremendous player.

Furriner 15 September, 2020 13:34
Quote:
Charlie1
Dieselpup. Spot on. We play best when we have a real tempo to our game and Max Malins will inject more of that especially from attacking quick ruck ball which is what defences fear. Good footballing brain. Good kicker. Even if he doesn’t start it would be great to see him come on after 55/60 minutes when, hopefully, the gaps begin to open. A tremendous player.

+1

NickBeard 15 September, 2020 13:36
Could Sheedy play 12?

Keep Malins at 10

Rich. 15 September, 2020 13:46
Well we all see things differently (& new players tend to be viewed over generously or over harshly) but Sheeds is our number 1 stand-off/outside-half/fly-half/10 IMHO. Though I appreciate some may be suggesting playing Malins for reasons other than they think he is better than Sheeds.
Malins is of course a very good player and did some great stuff against Wasps but:
(a) he did it against a team who (by that time) already had a 4 try bonus point and who may have switched off a bit defence-wise (much as we'd like to hope that wasn't the case);
(b) he'd done little before that game to suggest he'd play that well (though appreciate he's been at 15);
(C) teams will be alert to him more next time he plays 10; and
(d) most importantly it ignores what I see to be the fact that Sheeds is one hell of classy operator who is improving further all the time - and is our best 10 as things stand

But great that Malins has shown we have him as a very good option to play 10

Dieselpup 15 September, 2020 22:18
Good points all.

Just very excited to have 2 genuine class players as options for the 10 shirt!

The future is bright!

TimothyQ 16 September, 2020 08:34
I think the battle for 10 will be quite interesting for the next year, especially is Lloyd stakes a claim as well.

What we do know about Pat is that he doesn’t give anything away to his favourites. If Sheedy is 9/10 and Malins is a 9.1/10, then Malin will play and vice versa.

One big positive for Sheedy is that he is a proven performer under pressure (think about the way he came into the team during an injury crisis in 2016) and an accomplished goal kicker. Both of those things are big assets in knockout rugby.

Gray_Lensman 16 September, 2020 08:48
Malins looked shaky as a fullback. My suspicion is that he wasn't entirely fit but he still didn't look comfortable. On the other hand he looked both fit and more than comfortable as a fly-half and on the evidence of one game for us in that position (!) I'd say that's where we should be playing.

The problem is that I think Lloyd is also really an outside-half and should we be playing a loan signing ahead of someone we ought to be developing in that position. It's tricky because Malins looks good and has a different style from Sheedy.

Who'd be a head coach?

John Denver 16 September, 2020 08:50
There is an interesting article in Bristol Live, where PL explains why Challenge Cup rugby is important. His stated aim was top six in the league, thereby qualifying for Champions Cup rugby in 2020/21. That has been accomplished so PL continues to use the competition this year as training for knock-out rugby in these latter stages - no second chances.

Stevie_Wonder 16 September, 2020 10:10
Quote:
John Denver
There is an interesting article in Bristol Live, where PL explains why Challenge Cup rugby is important. His stated aim was top six in the league, thereby qualifying for Champions Cup rugby in 2020/21. That has been accomplished so PL continues to use the competition this year as training for knock-out rugby in these latter stages - no second chances.

Makes total sense to me. This season's league will always be remembered for Saracens and Covid. Not saying a title wouldn't be nice but it will always have an asterisk.

"If" things go our way we could now have the following... Two "must win" league games. We then have quarter final, semi final, final in Europe plus potentially playoff semis and final domestically. That is 7 very high intensity "cup final" games. Pat will learn a lot about the players, who is a test match animal, who is standing up to the pressure, which of the young lads can hack it, etc.

If we had targeted top 4 and forgotten Europe we could well be qualified for top 4 by now (or as good as) rendering the last two league games less important and then lost the playoff semi. All of a sudden we've only had one "must win" game and the squad haven't learned anywhere near as much.

I know those are two opposite ends of the spectrum and the reality for us this year will likely be somewhere in the middle with 5 or so "cup finals" but knockout rugby is a different mindset. Exeter and Saracens have won so much because they have learned to win those "must win" games under pressure by any means necessary. We simply haven't had any of those games. This next month could be pivotal in the development of this squad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2020 10:11 by Stevie_Wonder.

Rich. 16 September, 2020 10:18
Very good points my Cherie amour.

Rinkadink 16 September, 2020 10:58
Quote:
Stevie_Wonder
Quote:
John Denver

Makes total sense to me. This season's league will always be remembered for Saracens and Covid. Not saying a title wouldn't be nice but it will always have an asterisk.

"If" things go our way we could now have the following... Two "must win" league games. We then have quarter final, semi final, final in Europe plus potentially playoff semis and final domestically. That is 7 very high intensity "cup final" games. Pat will learn a lot about the players, who is a test match animal, who is standing up to the pressure, which of the young lads can hack it, etc.

If we had targeted top 4 and forgotten Europe we could well be qualified for top 4 by now (or as good as) rendering the last two league games less important and then lost the playoff semi. All of a sudden we've only had one "must win" game and the squad haven't learned anywhere near as much.

I know those are two opposite ends of the spectrum and the reality for us this year will likely be somewhere in the middle with 5 or so "cup finals" but knockout rugby is a different mindset. Exeter and Saracens have won so much because they have learned to win those "must win" games under pressure by any means necessary. We simply haven't had any of those games. This next month could be pivotal in the development of this squad.

Nicely put.

I'd also like to point out our history as a club, specifically with knock-out/play-off rugby. It's important to do all we can to overcome our past, I think playing more games of it's type with a new mindset and systems is a good way to go about that.

As a fan, I am still traumatised!

Rich. 16 September, 2020 11:12
On BBC rugby podcast last week they were lamenting (if that the right word) Edinburgh's loss to Ulster in the Pro 14 semi and talking about the lessons they will need to learn from it and how play-off/knock-out rugby makes different demands on players and how very useful experience of such games is. So if we reach the Prem play-offs next year having so many (essentially) knock-out matches this season should be of great help.

Singapore Sam 16 September, 2020 13:25
Quote:
Rich.
On BBC rugby podcast last week they were lamenting (if that the right word) Edinburgh's loss to Ulster in the Pro 14 semi and talking about the lessons they will need to learn from it and how play-off/knock-out rugby makes different demands on players and how very useful experience of such games is. So if we reach the Prem play-offs next year having so many (essentially) knock-out matches this season should be of great help.

Yes, when you need a cool head like Ian Madigan - just saying like :-)

Graham_U 16 September, 2020 22:27
I don't like the idea of moving Sherry to 12 as suggested above, I see him as an out and 10. But why not use Mallin's versitility and give him ago there while we have the crisis.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

James_P 17 September, 2020 11:32
Woolmore
Thacker
Sinckler
Attwood
Vui
Luatua
Thomas
Hughes
Uren
Sheedy
Purdy
Bedlow
Radrada
Morahan
Piutau

Byrne
Thomas
Afoa
Holmes
Earl
Cook
Malins
O'Connor

JMills 18 September, 2020 09:24
First time I have managed to get the starting 15 correct. A few errors on the bench but positive as didn't expect Randall back

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net