Latest news:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

'UPGRADE' - Sale Sharks v Doncaster at HR - Fri, 10th August - KO 7:45pm
Discussion started by Basque-ing Shark , 02 August, 2018 12:15
'UPGRADE' - Sale Sharks v Doncaster at HR - Fri, 10th August - KO 7:45pm
Basque-ing Shark 02 August, 2018 12:15
Sale Sharks v DONCASTER
Pre-Season Friendly

FRIDAY 10th Aug 2018 KO 7:45 pm
at
Sale FC, Heywood Road, Sale
Free entry to Season Ticket holders

Sale FC are offering an UPGRADE

Entrance to 'The Suite at Sale'
+
Fish, Chips & Mushy Pea Supper

All for just £15
Pay on the door.

Re: 'UPGRADE' - Sale Sharks v Doncaster at HR - Fri, 10th August - KO 7:45pm
AmericanRugbyFan 05 August, 2018 20:28
Sorry if I asked this already, but is this game televised or available in the states? Thanks.

Irish_Shark 05 August, 2018 21:11
Quote:
AmericanRugbyFan
Sorry if I asked this already, but is this game televised or available in the states? Thanks.
Friendlies aren't televised, however there may be a stream of it.

AmericanRugbyFan 05 August, 2018 23:28
Thank you!

StalyShark 06 August, 2018 21:08
Is this £15 including the £10 ticket price? Also, what time will it be served or is it whenever you want? Thanks in advance.

Basque-ing Shark 07 August, 2018 10:38
Quote:
Is this £15 including the £10 ticket price? Also, what time will it be served or is it whenever you want? Thanks in advance.
If you are a ST holder entrance is free.... Otherwise you pay the entrance fee.
This £15 'Upgrade' is an upgrade, therefore it's an 'Upgrade' (i.e. extra!)
The buffet will be served during the course of the match in 'The Suite at Sale', as stated!

StalyShark 07 August, 2018 10:40
Quote:
Basque-ing Shark
Quote:
If you are a ST holder entrance is free.... Otherwise you pay the entrance fee.
This £15 'Upgrade' is an upgrade, therefore it's an 'Upgrade' (i.e. extra!)
The buffet will be served during the course of the match in 'The Suite at Sale', as stated!

Thank you for the clarification but there's no need for the exclamation marks.

NorthernMaori 07 August, 2018 11:27
Doesn't sound that good a deal then if it's an extra £15 for a buffet!

Plus it's being served during the match which people will have already paid £10 to watch meaning that you would inevitably miss some action.

As much as SS want to maintain the close relationship with Sale FC, which is fully commendable given that without the latter there wouldn't be the former; I feel that if SS really are the team of the NW as they are trying to promote themselves to be then why not host pre-season matches at various local clubs each year. It would provide those that may feel that the AJ Bell is too far away an opportunity to taste top level rugby which could then lead to match day attendance.

Just a thought

emerging shark 07 August, 2018 17:16
Commendable NM but there could be a good crowd for such a match, what other clubs could host large numbers?

Rani of the Road 07 August, 2018 17:17
Not really an upgrade is it? It's paying £15 for fish and chips sat in a room missing the game.

emerging shark 07 August, 2018 17:24
It's £5 for non ST holders to get in not £10. I assume then that for £15 you get in and get the supper?.
All badly worded as is the report on the official site... come back Swanny...

NorthernMaori 07 August, 2018 18:31
I imagine a number of clubs could. Macclesfield, Preston grasshoppers, Waterloo, Manchester to name a few. Realistically itís not going to be a few thousand and all those clubs have the added benefit of significant on site parking (Waterloo the exception of course).

Granted these arenít rugby outposts but moving matches here would improve the Clubs footprint. Add in some community activity and you could make a real splash.

If it is £15 to get in with the upgrade you would still be paying £10 for fish and chips!

Rani of the Road 07 August, 2018 18:47
Quote:
emerging shark
It's £5 for non ST holders to get in not £10. I assume then that for £15 you get in and get the supper?.
All badly worded as is the report on the official site...

I rang to ask how much tickets were and was told it was free for me a season ticket holder and £10 for my friend and a fiver for each of his kids which I think is very good value, and we're really looking forward to seeing Faf and Ashton and the rest of the players.

ale shark 07 August, 2018 18:56
I can offer you all the executive's premium exclusive platinum upgrade package. For the bargain price of £14.95 Iíll get you a portion of fish and chips from the chippy outside the ground before kick-off. You won't miss any of the game.

james46 07 August, 2018 19:34
Isn't there a Jets Vs Sale FC game before?

StalyShark 09 August, 2018 11:01
Team's up:
[www.facebook.com]

Ashton at 15, Tarus at 1 and Ross at 7 are probably the talking points. No Faf.

2007dwain 09 August, 2018 12:58
Tom Brady on the wing for the jets !

StalyShark 09 August, 2018 13:08
Quote:
2007dwain
Tom Brady on the wing for the jets !

I think that's just filling a shirt given how small our squad is. Very, very little chance of him playing for us this year unless he is offered a miniscule contract.

mattw7787 09 August, 2018 13:09
No Currys?

StalyShark 09 August, 2018 13:23
Quote:
mattw7787
No Currys?

Probably played enough for their age recently.

Crutch 09 August, 2018 15:59
Also Neild at 2 and Nott at 6, plus Phillips and Beaumont in 2nd row.

Friendly of course and doesn't necessarily mean anything (like obviously Jono is not going to be playing 7, but could be an indication of where some of these will be playing this season.

If Tarus can do a job at 1 then perhaps we aren't so exposed and the chase for a top international recruit only makes more sense.

Cam and Nott at 2 and 6 is great to see.

StalyShark 09 August, 2018 18:07
Iím assuming Sam Moore is still injured too.

Hopefully Cam and George can deputise for Webber and Ross this year and build on their time in the gym last year.

Phillips will definitely play the big lump, Jonathan Mills role in the second row. Wonít matter that heís not a lineout option as we have loads in the back row. Needs some carries like his bulldozing one on tv last season.

wrinklieshark 09 August, 2018 18:23
From Sam Diamond on Facebook...

Hi Guys,

We will be live streaming both games tomorrow night, It will be a full camera setup as if the game were live on tv with full commentary provided by John Everton & Numerous Sale Sharks guests.

The Media team here at Sale and the University of Salford have gone to a lot of trouble to provide the service for supporters in the hope of bringing you more live coverage throughout the season.

If you could share the clubs post regarding this to raise awareness it would be really appreciated.

All the best

Sam

Olyy 09 August, 2018 18:50
Excellent news!

Seems it'll be on their Youtube and Facebook pages:
[www.youtube.com]

[www.facebook.com]

iBozz 09 August, 2018 22:01
Quote:
james46
Isn't there a Jets Vs Sale FC game before?

Yes ...

1730 Sale FC v Jets

1945 Sale Sharks v Doncaster

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

PoyntonShark 10 August, 2018 01:19
Anyone know the likelihood of the whole game being available on the YouTube channel afterwards? I would normally watch live, but's that's a 2:45am kick off for me and I will be working on Saturday.

Great initiative. We generally get most games live down here on Fox Sports, but there are occasions when we are the game that misses out. I may forego the Fox coverage for the dulcet tones of Mr Everton in any event.

No doubt our new American poster will be interested in this too.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

M5 Shark 10 August, 2018 07:00
Well done to the club showing the matches on social media. As with new ideas, there maybe a few teething issues but i think this is a great idea.

Olyy 10 August, 2018 15:56
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Anyone know the likelihood of the whole game being available on the YouTube channel afterwards? I would normally watch live, but's that's a 2:45am kick off for me and I will be working on Saturday.
Great initiative. We generally get most games live down here on Fox Sports, but there are occasions when we are the game that misses out. I may forego the Fox coverage for the dulcet tones of Mr Everton in any event.

No doubt our new American poster will be interested in this too.

I've not seen it confirmed anywhere but I think they will - previous live streams are still on the YouTube video list, I believe you have to remove live stream videos rather than add them (when the stream ends it turns into a video, so it's no extra effort to the club to have them up)

iBozz 10 August, 2018 18:19
Sale FC 22 - 17 Sale Jets

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

iBozz 10 August, 2018 20:33
Sale 31 - 0 Doncaster

AmericanRugbyFan 11 August, 2018 01:45
Yeah I would love to watch the replay if anyone finds it.

AmericanRugbyFan 11 August, 2018 01:49
never mind I found it on the facebook page

emerging shark 11 August, 2018 09:32
They certainly miscalculated the bar demands last night. Queues were massive, they should have had a cans bar outside somewhere. They missed out on my two or three pints...

PoyntonShark 11 August, 2018 10:48
Thanks Olyy, I'll get to watch it tonight

'Cause we were raised

wrinklieshark 11 August, 2018 22:10
Well it's very quiet considering that was the first match for ages, albeit a friendly.But I bet if we had lost 31-0 there would have been a bit of a fracas on here.
It kind of confirms that a lot of the regular posters aren't very dedicated supporters and are mainly in the business of having a good moan.
Anyway, it was good to see most of the regular players back and the newbies...Chris Ashton must have found a bit strange playing at Heywood Road after Toulon, but he scored what I hope will be the first of many tries for us...no Ash Splash, perhaps he saves those for the big occasions.

thekeg 12 August, 2018 07:39
I couldnít get to the game. Anyone particularly impressive? Any concerns?

Major Bloodnok 12 August, 2018 09:20
One passage of play particularly stuck with me: Ashton chasing down an interception, collaring the guy round about the 22, then getting up and snagging the follow-up player on the 5 to prevent what looked like a nailed-on opportunist try for Doncaster.

Downside: Neild's throwing hasn't improved.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

JohnJ of HM 12 August, 2018 09:38
Quote:
thekeg
I couldnít get to the game. Anyone particularly impressive? Any concerns?
AJ going off injured is a bit of a worry.

JohnJ of HM 12 August, 2018 09:41
Quote:
Cap'n Major Bloodnok
One passage of play particularly stuck with me: Ashton chasing down an interception, collaring the guy round about the 22, then getting up and snagging the follow-up player on the 5 to prevent what looked like a nailed-on opportunist try for Doncaster.
Downside: Neild's throwing hasn't improved.
Also, if it's the track back I'm remembering, we counter attacked and he was up on their line in a matter of seconds.

Particularly impressed by the Luke J break to put Will Cliff in for his try.

wrinklieshark 12 August, 2018 09:52
Videos of both games are here

[www.salesharks.com]

StalyShark 12 August, 2018 10:37
Very scrappy game overall, you could tell that they hadnít played since early May. However, there were some points to take away.

ďWork onsĒ:
Like capín said, Nieldís throwing was poor again as he lost at least two.
Had to go to uncontested scrums as WillGriff pulled out before KO.
AJ went of injured/delayed HIA.
Not much quick ball.
Leota was noticeably hobbling on his knee by the end of th Jets game.
The Jets pack were taught a few lessons by Sale FCís.

Positives:
Tarus didnít get pulverised at loosehead, albeit against championship opponents.
Jones seemed quite mobile despite his size.
I think Phillips will find his niche with us at lock, giving us some much needed grunt.
Ashtonís kicking game went well (much better than this: [youtu.be]) and he seemed busy like others have stated.
Luke James could become a very decent player as could Wilkinson who stepped his way in for a try and kicked well from hand despite his forwards getting pumped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 16:14 by StalyShark.

Rani of the Road 12 August, 2018 10:40
Quote:
emerging shark
They certainly miscalculated the bar demands last night. Queues were massive, they should have had a cans bar outside somewhere. They missed out on my two or three pints...

So poor bar service not unique to the aj bell then? We queued for nearly ten minutes then got to the bar and there was no ale left and that was before the end of the first match. Then the food on the barbecue ran out. Shame as the rest of the evening was brilliant, my friend's kids met some of the players so hopefully they will come to some more games.

MartWhit 12 August, 2018 11:09
I think a 30pt victory is about par for the course vs Championship opposition. Perhaps thats why it hasnt elicited much comment. I thought we were solid without attempting much that was spectacular.
Fitness looked decent for the most part. Contributed to some decent defence.
v disappointing we couldnt field a front row to play competitive scrums. Jones showed well however, and Tarus looked enough sound at loose head
Ashton will be amazing
Curry's might have made a difference had they played.
Agree with others on Luke James & Wilkinson
Jets were really pumped up front. Looked physically way short of the mark for senior rugby.

PoyntonShark 12 August, 2018 11:26
A bit harsh on Neild I think, at least one of the lineout losses, was a perfect throw to the back, but went straight through Ross' (IIRC) hands. We appeared to have more trouble finding the half back after winning the ball at lineout, than Cam did in finding his jumper. Scoreline possibly flattered us a little, Donny unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions, made some very Shark like mistakes with the line at their mercy. As already noted, pretty much what you would expect from first game of pre-season both sides looking like they haven't played for quite a while, but a few moments of real quality. Fitness looks good, conditioning looks good, this was no stroll in the park we were well tested in may areas. Hope AJ removal was precautionary.

'Cause we were raised

Olyy 12 August, 2018 11:40
Quote:
StalyShark
Tarus didnít get pulverised at loosehead, albeit against championship opponents.

Considering our first choice tighthead came to us from the Championship that's not too shabby.

Only dipped in and out of the games but the commentary were singing the praises of Sturgess and Wilkinson.

H's Dad... 12 August, 2018 12:50
I thought Neild had a good game, at least two of the lineout weren't down to him at all. A steal where the opposition got lucky and gambled on a fast flat throw to the front and the aforementioned miss by the catcher. The call was wrong. Cam was a veritable workhorse in open play and stood out in his support running: hence the two tries. Such weas hissw presence that he was employed for much of the second half at openside.

Not sure why Stalyshark deosn't think Luke James a decent player already: he does little wrong in almost all the games he has played for Sharks and made some excellent contributions in this one! I would say he's decent already and may well develope to become a regular starter and potential England material.
Sam James may have his work cut out to be starting ahead of him when RJVR is back.
Sam also had a reasonable game with several telling contributions although he will be kicking himself for his two or three loose passes when moved to 10. Two were intercepted and should have resulted in Donny tries.
If he is going to cover 10, he needs to spend significantly more time becoming more familiar with the requirements of that position. Although one or two of those errors may partially have been because Denny wasn't quite where he should have been whilst playing in the unfamiliar outside centre role.
Also loved the 2 Jo(h)ns commentary to the match when reliving it last night. They should defo be retained for future games!

Not a bad performance all round for Sharks albeit a bit too error-strewn, even for a first game back. Defence was excellent though. Add a couple of Curries, a Griff and a Bok and we should look far stronger.

Had a good chat with Flynny who indicated he is looking at December or so before he can be considered for selection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 12:53 by H's Dad....

clutch 12 August, 2018 13:36
Thought Cliff was poor which was a concern for the start of the season.

Nields darts were all over the place. Maybe one of them wasnít his fault. That steel was down to him being nervy and throwing too early I think.

We looked rusty and the game was pretty dire but the opposition were nilled and our attacking maul worked well. Regardless of the opposition thatís a huge positive and hopefully Phillips will make a difference re the maul.

FarnhamShark 12 August, 2018 14:29
Not really fair to criticise the Jets pack - literally, it was men against boys, with 9 18-year-olds in the starting 15. I liked the look of Gus Warr at 9, and Curtis Langdon at 2. Aaron Reed's pace was spectacular. Tarus did OK, but we certainly need another loose head (but we've been saying that for rather too long now).

MartWhit 12 August, 2018 14:54
you're absolutley correct Farnham, they are young and will improve.

But as it stands several of them are next in line to play senior rugby. After all, our senior team had to go to uncontested scrums and had to play musical chairs in the inside backs.

It is highly likely jake pope will be needed for 1st XV action, Wilkinson too, Sturgess definitely. So in several cases we cant afford to say "oh give them time", because they might need to be ready for 'mens' rugby in the next few weeks. Thats the only criticism. they are doing their level best but in several positions we need more.

Crutch 12 August, 2018 15:15
Massive difference though between one of them coming into the established pack and a whole pack of 18 year olds playing together.

StalyShark 12 August, 2018 16:19
Luke James is a decent player right now. He could well become very much more than decent, especially so once he puts on about 10kg.

Hirdyshark 12 August, 2018 21:08
Bit of a scrappy game but plenty of positives to take from it. Thought Neild looked very good in the loose and like others have said, didn't think his darts were terrible but could do with a bit more work if he's going to be second choice 2. Props were solid, while Strauss had some strong carries from 8. Thought Nott looked well up for it on the flank, bit more room to roam in the wider channels so I was disappointed when he was taken off. Hope AJ's okay and nothing too serious. Luke James very impressive at 12, great break (following the turnover from his brother) to set up Cliff for his try and, to me, should now be second choice 12 behind RJVR. So excited to see what Ashton can do for us this season after a couple of glimpses in this match, including some brilliant defensive work. In the Jets match, Kieran Wilkinson is going to be a star while Dugdale and Reed also appear to have a hell of a lot of potential. Also big congrats to everyone involved in bringing us the online video coverage, this can only be a good thing.

MartWhit 13 August, 2018 08:55
totally agreed on the video coverage. Enjoyed the Johns banter too, Callard is a bit sharper of tongue than he ever was of foot.

I'm curious why we werent wearing our new jerseys though?

H's Dad... 13 August, 2018 21:00
Luke James appears to have fulfilled a lot of potential in just 5 hrs and 22 minutes Staly!
At that rate he will become truly 'world class' come the start of the season!(Sm22)

StalyShark 13 August, 2018 21:16
Quote:
H's Dad...
Luke James appears to have fulfilled a lot of potential in just 5 hrs and 22 minutes Staly!
At that rate he will become truly 'world class' come the start of the season!(Sm22)

The original comment of could become "very decent" was meant as a typically English unhyperbloic (I may have made up that word) compliment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2018 07:08 by StalyShark.

M5 Shark 14 August, 2018 05:59
Likely that the players kit is not available in all sizes yet.
Thought Luke James had a good game.
Marland seemed to be lacking a little pace at times (compared to the Doncaster players chasing back)?
Ashton seemed very energetic, and appeared all over the place.

It was a pleasure to visit Heywood Road. Tram straight from city centre, <5 min walk from station, good fish and chip (pizza's, burgers too) shop outside the ground, several pubs closeby.

H's Dad... 14 August, 2018 09:39
I think the word you are looking for is "understatement" Staly!
A novel approach for many of this site's authors!(Sm85)(Sm6)

For balance don't forget the very long queues for the food offerings outside Heywood road M5 shark!

DaveAitch 14 August, 2018 10:59
Staly, 'litotes' is the word.

clutch 14 August, 2018 11:46
And the hampered view.

Always nice to visit though. May try and watch FC a bit this year.

Irish_Shark 14 August, 2018 20:39
Quote:
M5 Shark
Likely that the players kit is not available in all sizes yet.
Or at least not in the quantity to cloth an entire squad, no harm in them using last years kits for friendlies

MartWhit 15 August, 2018 11:48
I fancy had the Jets run out in the nice new red kit it might have sent a few families scurrying to buy it, unlike the yellow one which isnt even available even if they'd wanted to.

H's Dad... 15 August, 2018 15:47
I thought 'litotes' always included a negative? e.g 'He's not at all bad' meaning 'he's good'!
Staly was more just understating Luke's current status.

DaveAitch 21 August, 2018 07:40
You're correct, H's D. I though the original text did contain the necessary negative but it doesn't.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net