Latest news:
Saturday 19 October, KO 15:00, Ampthill v Yorkshire Carnegie at Dillingham Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 August, 2019 19:19
I would like to repeat an earlier post that I made that has never been answered by the miserati: any sporting organisation that has the financial rug, completely unexpectedly, pulled from under it's feet is going to have a massive problem.
A management team of Lord Sugar, Sir David Brailsford and Sir Alex Ferguson would still be helpless in that situation.

IMHO the management team have shown their great competence by the way they have kept the club afloat.

I am disappointed that once anything goes wrong, long-held predjudices are dredged up, and fitted to the circumstances to add to the negativity.

Feel fee to disagree but please make your case clear and without an axe to grind.

Billy ba
Billy ba
08 August, 2019 20:15
Hear hear

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
08 August, 2019 20:43
Almo, as has been said on here, the club spent money it never had did they not? No matter what they believed they were going to get, it never showed in the bank account, so should not have been spent. The management of the club have kept supporters in the dark over every recent issue. If you are happy to accept that, then fine. I certainly am not. That is my opinion, and, as far as I am aware, that is what this forum is for.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 August, 2019 20:57
Great to see your reasoned comments Hax. I fully understand where you are coming from, but I have a different opinion. Which I will explain:

The cornerstone benefactor in Carnegie was Jon Wright, founder of Xercise4less, the gym chain based in Leeds. He re-financed his business at the end of last year, in a move that he thought would release his own personal wealth from the business, some of which was supporting Carnegie. Unfortunately, the Private Equity Company that provided the "re-finance" then stabbed him in the back, without warning, and demanded that his personal guarantee money should not be "lost" in financing Carnegie.
He had no alternative than to advise the shareholders/board of this, which happened about the turn of the year.

it was completely unexpected, so players had been signed on two year contracts in good faith.

You can take whatever view of Jon Wright's naivety or perhaps the Private Equity Firm's aggressiveness, but why of why do people think of this as a management failure?

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
08 August, 2019 21:02
..because they never saw the money. Whoever pulled the plug on who is in my opinion irrelevant, Carnegie never had the money to spend. True, or false.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 August, 2019 21:09
Virtually all rugby clubs have benefactor's loans which have no interest and no repayment date. The auditors have to pass the annual accounts in the belief that the loans will not be called in.

So no different.

Why on Earth would Carnegie have entered into two year contracts if they foresaw this mess?

For me the evidence is that they acted in good faith and that the story I told above rings true.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
08 August, 2019 21:48
We'll agree to disagree. I think the club is a total embarrassment, and should be ashamed of the way they have let this situation develop. I'm looking forward to visiting Headingley in a couple of weeks, but that is for the Ashes, it will be my first look at the stadium since the re-developments. Very unlikely I'll be visiting to watch any rugby, can spend my time, and money, far better elsewhere.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 August, 2019 21:52
Happy to agree to disagree with you Hax, I like that you put forward reasoned comments, as I try to do. Really miss you and your brilliant humour on the away trips.

(Sm128)

Hopefully the Ashes will be a happier tale!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
09 August, 2019 08:26
We have a squad of one player.

Tick tock.

Tower
Tower
09 August, 2019 10:42
Quote:
Haxbytyke
We'll agree to disagree. I think the club is a total embarrassment, and should be ashamed of the way they have let this situation develop. I'm looking forward to visiting Headingley in a couple of weeks, but that is for the Ashes, it will be my first look at the stadium since the re-developments. Very unlikely I'll be visiting to watch any rugby, can spend my time, and money, far better elsewhere.

Very sad to hear the news that you will not return for the Rugby Haxbytyke.
I can understand why you are angry about recent events but could I possibly ask why you did not attend at all last year?

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
09 August, 2019 13:30
Quote:
Tower
Quote:
Haxbytyke

I can understand why you are angry about recent events but could I possibly ask why you did not attend at all last year?

Tower, I haven't been for 2 seasons now. I was ready to get my season ticket for 2017/18 season at the first game, when I was hospitalised for 8 days, and couldn't drive for 8 weeks, so living in York couldn't get to the games. Before that I had seen more games than I had missed, and seen more defeats than victories. I had a lot of time to reflect on the comments the club had made which I believed showed a total lack of ambition in aiming for the Premiership, coupled with the failure of all aspects of the Yorkshire experiment, and the lack of communication the club had with the fans, I decided my Sundays were better spent closer to home. I get my rugby fix now watching York City Knights, a club who have risen from nothing, have a great relationship with the local community, and who value their fans.
I hope Carnegie can get back on an even keel, but I would be very wary of anything, (if anything) the club say in future. I certainly will not be contributing one penny though, it will be wasted.

COME ON LEEDS.

Tower
Tower
09 August, 2019 13:56
Quote:
Haxbytyke
Quote:
Tower
Quote:
Haxbytyke

Tower, I haven't been for 2 seasons now. I was ready to get my season ticket for 2017/18 season at the first game, when I was hospitalised for 8 days, and couldn't drive for 8 weeks, so living in York couldn't get to the games. Before that I had seen more games than I had missed, and seen more defeats than victories. I had a lot of time to reflect on the comments the club had made which I believed showed a total lack of ambition in aiming for the Premiership, coupled with the failure of all aspects of the Yorkshire experiment, and the lack of communication the club had with the fans, I decided my Sundays were better spent closer to home. I get my rugby fix now watching York City Knights, a club who have risen from nothing, have a great relationship with the local community, and who value their fans.
I hope Carnegie can get back on an even keel, but I would be very wary of anything, (if anything) the club say in future. I certainly will not be contributing one penny though, it will be wasted.

This is such a shame as you are sorely missed by all of the supporters.

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
09 August, 2019 14:51
We may have a new coach and director of rugby but the same people behind the scenes. Thereby lies the problem

Tower
Tower
09 August, 2019 15:15
Quote:
headingleytyke2
We may have a new coach and director of rugby but the same people behind the scenes. Thereby lies the problem

But the supporters are not involved nor are the players going to the rugby is a social occasion and I still maintain that we should support our team. What good will you do by staying away?

Bobba
Bobba
09 August, 2019 16:05
I take it Tower that you are one of the privileged that enjoy hospitality at Headingley. We mere mortals have no chance of any meaningful socializing. Headingley is sterile. At one time we had a social club that was knocked down to make way for the South Stand. Now what was it, 4-5 years before the work on the stand was started? GH said the supporters club would be replaced. I still see no supporters club. Supporters now socialize in the pubs, cafes and restaurants in the environs outside the stadium, thus depriving our Club and primarily the Rhinos of valuable income. Good innit!

Dr Zaius
Dr Zaius
10 August, 2019 00:42
Nobody would reasonably expect the club to have all funds in the bank before committing to spend - no business runs in that manner.

The deal the club is getting to use Headingley and, moreover, the back office function, is now amazing value but, even with that de facto financial support from Leeds RL/Caddick and the reduced playing budget, there has to be severe doubt that the business will ever be a viable going concern.

Bobba
Bobba
11 August, 2019 10:40
It is the continued support from LeedsRL/Caddick that concerns me most. It was reported a while back, that Caddick was planning to get together a financial partnership together next season, provided we survive relegation this season with a view of a push on Premiership status. With Caddick's record of playing hokey cokey with his support, I find that worrying!

JDH1
JDH1
11 August, 2019 22:21
Yet he is the only one with the wealth and hopefully interest to do it.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
12 August, 2019 12:01
I have just been on the official website and can confirm that we have an MD, a DoR, a Head Coach and a Kit Manager. That is a relief then. (Sm124)

Tick tock.

Teddy1981
Teddy1981
12 August, 2019 17:25
Richmond

#Jeeersey

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
12 August, 2019 18:06
Good to see that Richmond are moving on, though I smart when I read the complaint that Carnegie players have only been paid 15% of their future contracts by a club that operates pay-per-game.

Tyko
Tyko
12 August, 2019 20:04
Quote:
Teddy1981
Richmond

90 players training during the summer !! I wonder if they can spare a few.

Mind you - not so many top City jobs on offer up here.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
25 August, 2019 15:04
Nine days since we announced the signing of T Varndell. Still only 6 signed players announced.

Tick tock.

(Sm124)

bigfecker
bigfecker
26 August, 2019 10:59
TBH if I was a player and with YC record recently, I would want 25% of my annual fee upfront and then the 75% paid monthly.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
26 August, 2019 16:46
Fair point bigfecker. I imagine that appointments or offers are all very conditional at the moment with some sort of ring-fenced bank account for wages. We already have some appointments, but what if we do not get enough players and are unable to raise a team? I suspect everything is conditional on the team coming together as a whole.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
26 August, 2019 17:49
Quote:
bigfecker
TBH if I was a player and with YC record recently, I would want 25% of my annual fee upfront and then the 75% paid monthly.

I would be happier with payment game by game if I was a player. Then if it all goes pearshaped I could just move on.

Tyko
Tyko
26 August, 2019 18:01
Quote:
Wildwillie
I would be happier with payment game by game if I was a player. Then if it all goes pearshaped I could just move on.

So a zero hours contract then?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
26 August, 2019 19:13
If you are part-time you can live with the pay-per-game regime, especially if you have a 5 figure bonus to look forward to at Christmas from your day job. But it does mean that if you get a bad injury you get nothing for 6 months or a year. OK if playing rugby is a hobby that gets you some pocket money and street cred, but it isn't likely to attract the destructive tackler type that is needed by teams at high level.

Clearly full-time players cannot sign up to this.

Billy ba
Billy ba
26 August, 2019 19:43
But most of our opposition in the Chsmpionship are part time also.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
26 August, 2019 20:12
Fair point Billy (I mean Pete). It must get complicated when a part-time club hosts Premiership dual registration players who are used to a higher standard of, well everything. Plus there must be jealousy between the players?

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
26 August, 2019 21:08
We should be worried. We have heard nothing about players apart fro the 6 , who must be paid on a part time basis because that is what we are. Nothing from the club about extra players, mind you they tell us nothing.
To put a rag tag outfit in the cup games which I believe will have never met each other and will end up with major injuries.
As I said the club have been quiet and I think they cannot get the players as they do not believe the lies peddled by the board

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
27 August, 2019 08:10
There must be some doubt, in the minds of prospective players, as to the club's ability to pay them given what went on last season.

Bobba
Bobba
27 August, 2019 09:08
Is it true that during the recent Headingley Test, G.H. was spotted wearing a sandwich board with "The End Is Nigh" on one side and "We Are Recruiting" on the other?

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
27 August, 2019 12:36
Quote:
Bobba
Is it true that during the recent Headingley Test, G.H. was spotted wearing a sandwich board with "The End Is Nigh" on one side and "We Are Recruiting" on the other?

Yes

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
28 August, 2019 07:33
DoR has now been in place over a month. 6 players!

Tick tock.

Feeding
Feeding
28 August, 2019 08:57
First game,fri 20 Sept v Nottingham,three weeks ?!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
28 August, 2019 08:58
As I have said before, no news is usually interpreted as an expectation that things are going wrong. Why can't the club put something out, say, at least once a week? Just an update to demonstrate that something is going on would help.
I the meantime I am sure many former fans are losing patience and moving away.

RedcarTyke
RedcarTyke
30 August, 2019 19:56
2 weeks now since last proclamation Tick Tock

Bobba
Bobba
31 August, 2019 22:21
Almost. Perhaps a fishing trip down to the River Aire at Kirkstall is called for? Either that or tomorrows Rugby Paper!(Sm100)

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
01 September, 2019 10:56
Interesting article in TRP today. It says the RFU only supported us because of the name Yorkshire as they want to promote rugby in this area. If we had been called Leeds that support would not have been there.

Bobba
Bobba
01 September, 2019 11:15
It also stated that the changing of the name to Yorkshire was akin to putting lipstick on a pig!

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
01 September, 2019 19:49
But to be fair the article was directed at the RFU and their absence of common sense/fairness in dealing with wider issues in the game.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
06 September, 2019 08:26
Three weeks since Varndell signing announced. Since then nothing.

Tick tock.

Billy ba
Billy ba
06 September, 2019 13:24
Keep it to themselves must be a Tack Tick

MESSAGES->author
SideStep
07 September, 2019 14:46
Still nothing?
Newcome posted a cryptic message on twitter but wouldnt confirm any specific details.

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
07 September, 2019 15:45
Sidestep,

No announcement yet but there is some kind of squad and they are training

Feeding
Feeding
08 September, 2019 07:39
Some apparently good news for you. Mike Myerscough brought his Bridlington team to Leos yesterday.Dont know the chap but he was very approachable ,polite,pleasant and friendly.A very brief chat indicated that there appears to be a squad of around 20+ training,a mixture of premiership,championship and div 1players.He seemed to think things would be o.k.

More importantly,Leos playing our first ever game at Yorks 1 level won 27 - 22.Jim Collard,David Caplan and Jon Eagle would be chuffed.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
08 September, 2019 07:45
Quote:
Feeding
.........More importantly,Leos playing our first ever game at Yorks 1 level won 27 - 22.Jim Collard,David Caplan and Jon Eagle would be chuffed.

(Sm152)

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
09 September, 2019 11:29
First game next Friday.

(Sm159)

MESSAGES->author
SideStep
09 September, 2019 13:25
Rugby paper has us linked with Bath players. Including Mike William's.

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

JDH1
JDH1
09 September, 2019 14:38
Team sheet might like a barbarians select!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
09 September, 2019 16:50
The team sheet might be the first chance we get to see who will be playing for us this season (unless of course PD has a sudden rush of blood to the head and announces who the "25+" players who are training are.)

(Sm124)

JDH1
JDH1
09 September, 2019 17:30
I suspect we will find out soon.

captainscarlet
bigm/ mark harrison.
09 September, 2019 18:24
Tom varndels Twitter page has him in Hong Kong.

JDH1
JDH1
09 September, 2019 21:27
He might just rock up on Friday morning...

Billy ba
Billy ba
09 September, 2019 21:36
He is only part time

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
11 September, 2019 18:36
Fair comment Bba. He has to supplement his income as we won't be paying him much, for sure.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net