Latest news:
Saturday 19 October, KO 15:00, Ampthill v Yorkshire Carnegie at Dillingham Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

The Cunning Plan
Discussion started by TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged), 29 June, 2019 17:40
TykesRugby.co.uk
TykesRugby.co.uk
29 June, 2019 17:40
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2019 07:48 by Wildwillie .

oopnorth
oopnorth
29 June, 2019 18:26
Turnips have to feature somewhere obviously

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2019 18:27 by oopnorth.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
30 June, 2019 19:03
We need a plan so cunning you could nail a tail to it and it would be a fox.

Billy ba
Billy ba
30 June, 2019 20:10
We've already lost one Fox

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
30 June, 2019 21:01
A fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?

leeds_shark
WPL
01 July, 2019 11:28
I've not read it, but according to the Rugby Paper part of the cunning plan is to link up with Sale Sharks - if this is the case and we can get to some arrangement where the players don't get called back at last minute - this may actually work - their academy graduates are fairly impressive.

Tyko
Tyko
01 July, 2019 13:17
A Northern Powerhouse in the making??!!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
01 July, 2019 19:39
Quote:
WPL
I've not read it, but according to the Rugby Paper part of the cunning plan is to link up with Sale Sharks - if this is the case and we can get to some arrangement where the players don't get called back at last minute - this may actually work - their academy graduates are fairly impressive.

Similar to Gloucester/Hartspury arrangement? That seems to work!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
01 July, 2019 21:37
Can't say Im keen on these 'partnerships' with Prem clubs as they seem to me to be totally one sided.

That's the situation we're in though and beggars can't be choosers. Whatever it takes to survive I suppose.

Camquin
Camquin
01 July, 2019 22:50
I feel I should point out you have your own academy that I thought received the same funding as the other 13.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
02 July, 2019 07:41
Quote:
Camquin
I feel I should point out you have your own academy that I thought received the same funding as the other 13.

We know this but thank you for reminding us. (Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
02 July, 2019 08:04
Quote:
Camquin

We cannot afford to run this academy so I believe that the rfu are going to run it directly.

If this works out then we will not get automatic first choice for the talent it produces, although (if we survive) of course we will still be the local club for the starlets.

Tyko
Tyko
02 July, 2019 11:15
Quote:
almostatyke
If this works out then we will not get automatic first choice for the talent it produces, although (if we survive) of course we will still be the local club for the starlets.

Almost all of our "starlets" move on anyway sooner or later. So nothing new there.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
03 July, 2019 19:32
Just to explain a little more on why we cannot afford our academy. True the rfu gives grants for an officially-licensed Academy, but also true is that much of the money comes with strings attached. A lot of the investment has to be matched pound for pound, by the club. Normally this is a small price to pay as the talent produced gives the club guaranteed star players for the future.
We were in the unique position of having a rfu Academy but not able to offer academy stars the chance to play Premiership rugby. We spent much more of our income on our Academy than any of the other 13 clubs and got minimal benefit as the players were poached by Premiership clubs once they had a 10 or so Championship games under their belt.
Even our Academy managers were poached by Bath and Wasps.

I believe that Worcester were in a similar position a decade or so ago. They had to relinquish their rfu-licensed Academy due to financial difficulties.

leeds_shark
WPL
04 July, 2019 09:00
Did I see some pictures on Twitter yesterday about a small group training up at Ilkley?

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
04 July, 2019 10:08
Training in butchery techniques at Lishman's, from what I saw.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Wharfedale1985
Wharfedale1985
04 July, 2019 11:08
Yes at Lishmans, I hear Steve Boden has agreed to coach at Ilkley as well.

Tower
Tower
04 July, 2019 11:50
Quote:
almostatyke
Just to explain a little more on why we cannot afford our academy. True the rfu gives grants for an officially-licensed Academy, but also true is that much of the money comes with strings attached. A lot of the investment has to be matched pound for pound, by the club. Normally this is a small price to pay as the talent produced gives the club guaranteed star players for the future.
We were in the unique position of having a rfu Academy but not able to offer academy stars the chance to play Premiership rugby. We spent much more of our income on our Academy than any of the other 13 clubs and got minimal benefit as the players were poached by Premiership clubs once they had a 10 or so Championship games under their belt.
Even our Academy managers were poached by Bath and Wasps.

I believe that Worcester were in a similar position a decade or so ago. They had to relinquish their rfu-licensed Academy due to financial difficulties.

Good information almostatyke the academy was just a nice to have and another tick for us to get us in the premiership. As you said we paid over and above for it and really did not benefit. Now look where we are? Hindsight is wonderful thing but we should not have paid so much into it and not have the benefit. Including pumping in more and more well over and above any other club.

JDH1
JDH1
05 July, 2019 19:38
I am expecting some coach and player news soon surely...

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke
05 July, 2019 21:52

JDH1
JDH1
05 July, 2019 22:38
Hmmm

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
10 July, 2019 18:55
As there is no evidence that the club has recruited a coach or any players, I think it is fair to assume that the Cunning Plan has heavy Sale involvement. Any alternative, at this late stage, has virtually no chance of flying: to put together a team from scratch that would not be humiliated in the Championship is nigh on impossible.
Let's hope that the rfu are on board with this "buddy club" arrangement.

Unless anyone has heard different?

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
10 July, 2019 22:14
Quote:
almostatyke
As there is no evidence that the club has recruited a coach or any players, I think it is fair to assume that the Cunning Plan has heavy Sale involvement. Any alternative, at this late stage, has virtually no chance of flying: to put together a team from scratch that would not be humiliated in the Championship is nigh on impossible.

So, you will not be watching Leeds, but supporting a team from across the Pennines? Very, very sad for Leeds rugby if that is true.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
10 July, 2019 22:54
Quote:
Haxbytyke
Quote:
almostatyke

So, you will not be watching Leeds, but supporting a team from across the Pennines? Very, very sad for Leeds rugby if that is true.

Yeah, IF that turns out to be the case and we we're essentially Sales (or anyone elses, for that matter) B team/Reserves/Development squad then, whilst I'll totally understand that it's a survival measure, I think that'll be me finished.

Tyko
Tyko
10 July, 2019 23:19
Well the club were trying to spread the word by going on the road. Maybe this is just the logical outcome !!!

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
11 July, 2019 07:13
Well I for one will not be going to see Sale 2nds if it is how we will be going.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
11 July, 2019 07:35
Would this cunning plan involve Sale pocketing our share of the rfu subsidy to Championship clubs? I cannot imagine that even the blazers at HQ would be happy to see that.

Tower
Tower
11 July, 2019 11:37
Come on guys be positive the board are really trying here. They have not pulled the plug.

Whatever team they put out I for one will go along and support my club.

We must try and pull this around and surely that means all of us doing our bit.

Turning our backs on the club now is not right.

MESSAGES->author
SideStep
11 July, 2019 12:25
It's hard to expect fans to be positive at this rate.
Years and years of false Dawns, broken promises and complete mismanagement has led to this one huglesly promising club turning into a joke.
Take me back to 2005!!!

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

Tower
Tower
11 July, 2019 13:16
Quote:
SideStep
It's hard to expect fans to be positive at this rate.
Years and years of false Dawns, broken promises and complete mismanagement has led to this one huglesly promising club turning into a joke.
Take me back to 2005!!!

If only we had a time transporter sidestep but we are where we are.

Who ever is on that pitch at Headingley in our colours surely they deserve our support?

If not the club and us would have to pack up and go home.

That is not what I want for my club.

I want to fight for my club and that means whatever has gone on in the past is in the past.

We need to move forward and show our support we are not fair weather supporters.We are in it through thick and thin surely.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
11 July, 2019 15:24
Quote:
Tower
Who ever is on that pitch at Headingley in our colours surely they deserve our support?
If not the club and us would have to pack up and go home.

That is not what I want for my club.

I want to fight for my club and that means whatever has gone on in the past is in the past.

And therein lies the issue that I think some of us may have.

Because, in all honesty, what would beleft of the club?

Personally, for the last year or so since Stirlo came in, I've been turning up to support him and that group of players. And also because i wanted a Premiership club as a centrepiece for the RU community in Yorkshire, one that all the kids playing at grassroots level throughout the county could be proud of and aspire to play for.

That group of players have gone to (potentially) be replaced by a group who would be here to further their careers elsewhere rather than to represent Yorkshire or to grow the game up north.

I don't know what exactly I'd be supporting, there'd be nowt left as far as I can see.

JDH1
JDH1
11 July, 2019 16:31
Not sure I would turn up to watch a purely sale team full fill our fixtures with zero Carnegie lads on show. I wouldn't pay to watch Sale first team (as they are not my team).

Better being knocked on the head imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 18:04 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
11 July, 2019 18:59
I would like to point out that the Sale stuff is based on rumours and TRP.
Wouldn't it be great if the club could let us know what is really going on?
No updates on the Offie since 28th June - that is nearly two weeks.

In the meantime we fear the worst.....

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
11 July, 2019 19:26
Tick tock.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
11 July, 2019 20:14
Quote:
almostatyke
I would like to point out that the Sale stuff is based on rumours and TRP.

Yep, get that entirely. No choice but to wait and see

Scuffer
Scuffer
11 July, 2019 21:19
Once you support a team you always support them whatever happens through thick and thin. Why does it matter who plays for them or where those players come from? Iím from Liverpool and my footy team is Everton so I have been long suffering with the exception of a few successful years in my lifetime especially with a Dad who is a red. Whatever happens to Everton I will never stop supporting them. Why is it that some of you lot on this message board seem too willing to abandon our club just because of some poor management, or poor results or some entirely predictable comments from those that are supposed to be in charge? Can you all really abandon the club that you have supported for ever and switch to some other club at a lower level just because you feel miffed? Pull yourselves together Yorkshire people and carry on supporting our club!!!

leeds_shark
WPL
11 July, 2019 21:50
Well said Scuffer...

....Iím of the opinion this year just getting a team out in a Yorkshire shirt is something 3 weeks ago I wasnít expecting. Because of that we are late to the party so Iíll take whatever I can get. Subject to being in the championship for 20/21 then letís see when we might have a bit of stability.

I would suspect our only option this year to be competitive would be to form a close relationship with a premiership club or 2 - we are not in a great position as we are so late to the recruitment of coaches and players. By competitive I mean not being on the end of a cricket score week in week out

I will support them, when there was a great unknown if we would have a club or not I did think about where I might watch my rugby and it was tough to think about - there was no championship option - maybe up to Otley or maybe drop down and go and support my local team....ironically enough one thought I had was to go back to my home county and watch Sale - the thought of the M62 was not pleasant though....

MESSAGES->author
SideStep
11 July, 2019 22:26
Appreciate the positive "rah rah" posts but I dont support Yorkshire first of all.
I support Leeds Tykes (Carnegie at a push).
We became Yorkshire (Arrogance).
The club ripped the heart and soul and lost a decent number of fans to this in the first place.
Stirling did a terrific job trying to paper over cracks by doing his absolute best.
It almost worked.
Sadly the management (behind the scenes) as per usual have let down the Rugby Union team who play at Headingley.
If next season we are basically Sales B squad it's going to be hard to stomach.
If we mix it with 7/8 youngsters who have come through this clubs academy maybe that could make the difference.
All in all I'm feeling very disillusioned when it comes to this.
I'm gonna have a glass of Talisker to calm the nerves!!!

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

JDH1
JDH1
11 July, 2019 22:53
It cannot just be a sale made up team with not part time or academy YC player. It makes a nonsense of the club and of the championship.

I cannot believe the people in charge would go for this. If it's a short term stop gap to buy more time who knows

bspa2
bspa2
12 July, 2019 15:27
I am depressed by the tone of many of the postings. I know everyone is entitled to share their views but we are bound to experience ups and downs.

I have had so much enjoyment to go with the frustrations over the last 20 years and we are still at the top end of the rugby pyramid so, whatever the issues, there will be more enjoyment to come. I just hope that those who enjoy their negative thoughts can learn to take the rough with the smooth.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
12 July, 2019 18:22
I can completely understand why people are a bit depressed - you cannot get worse news than your club is on the verge of bankruptcy, especially just after the high hopes our DoR and team had produced in the second half of the season just gone.

The silence on the offie, after two weeks, is deafening.

A possible positive note: the word on the street is that, provided the club can negotiate the shark-infested waters they are in, we could be due a new name. The Yorkshire name just hasn't worked (and as someone who has been at away matches at Castle Park quite a few times I can vouch for that). Now Carnegie do not help us in any way.

Leeds Tykes anyone?

RothwellTyke
RothwellTyke
12 July, 2019 18:28
I am in agreement with WPL, end of day I have watched this club since 2001. Seen the highs and lows (although nothing is as low as the last 12 weeks)

The club is sticking to its historic form of not engaging fans, which is sad in this situation. I will be supporting whatever team we manage to put out. They put on the shirt and they deserve my support.

Letís hope we can get a decent side that can compete to a level. Yes, Newcastle, Cornish and Ealing will probably stuff us but if we can get a few wins then we will survive (hopefully)

Just a plea to the club. For once, talk to us, keep us informed and get us on board as we are all passionate fans

JDH1
JDH1
12 July, 2019 21:01
Negativity born out of frustration for me.

GH said it at the meeting. The club (in its current form) exists to try get prem rugby. It's not a club like donny. So the team and the lads they play for it is all we have.

I too hope we have a team to follow but the match day squad cannot just be bused down the m62 on a Sunday. There needs to be a link, a sign of a Yorkshire squad of players that play for us. Even if it is part time.

Let's what and see.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
12 July, 2019 21:03
Quote:
RothwellTyke

Just a plea to the club. For once, talk to us, keep us informed and get us on board as we are all passionate fans

And some of the seed fell on stoney ground......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 21:04 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
12 July, 2019 21:46
Quote:
bspa2
I am depressed by the tone of many of the postings. I know everyone is entitled to share their views but we are bound to experience ups and downs.
I have had so much enjoyment to go with the frustrations over the last 20 years and we are still at the top end of the rugby pyramid so, whatever the issues, there will be more enjoyment to come..

Wow, can I have a dram of what you've been drinking please? (Sm126)

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
12 July, 2019 22:05
Quote:
Scuffer
Once you support a team you always support them whatever happens through thick and thin. Why does it matter who plays for them or where those players come from? Iím from Liverpool and my footy team is Everton so I have been long suffering with the exception of a few successful years in my lifetime especially with a Dad who is a red. Whatever happens to Everton I will never stop supporting them. Why is it that some of you lot on this message board seem too willing to abandon our club just because of some poor management, or poor results or some entirely predictable comments from those that are supposed to be in charge? Can you all really abandon the club that you have supported for ever and switch to some other club at a lower level just because you feel miffed? Pull yourselves together Yorkshire people and carry on supporting our club!!!

Scuffer, as you know,I have supported this club for years, travelled all over the country, and followed them through many more downs than ups. But the way the club has been run, and the supporters kept in the dark is a complete disgrace. The marketing, PR has been a joke for years. The club do not give a stuff about the supporters, so why should I give my time, and money, to a lost cause?
If anybody wants to see how to run a small club, engage with the community, and the supporters, and be successful, look at what is happening at York City Knights. They make the Carnegie lot look completely amateur, although I realise that is not difficult.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
14 July, 2019 10:49
Rumour from TRP is that rfu have still to approve plan A - possible decision next week - future still in the balance.

(Sm124)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
16 July, 2019 18:59
Has anyone else got the uneasy feeling that The Plan is not cunning enough?

(Sm136)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
16 July, 2019 19:10

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
16 July, 2019 20:39
Nice one Leeming - let's hope we have a better plan than walking towards machine guns!

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke
17 July, 2019 06:42
Quote:
almostatyke
Nice one Leeming - let's hope we have a better plan than walking towards machine guns!

I think you'll find we've already climbed over the trench wall and have been meandering towards the RFU for a couple of months now. Sadly whilst the Generals sit in their Ivory Towers the troops have fallen by the wayside and the Battalion has been decimated. The hope of bringing up reserves from the rear is declining on a daily basis.
I anticipate that the RFU will decline the plan to play Sale A under the pretext of YC and the club/team I have supported throughout it's various guises will walk off into Oblivion, whilst the Generals will continue to pontificate about how unlucky we were and fail to accept their own failings.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2019 06:44 by Madtyke.

Scuffer
Scuffer
23 July, 2019 13:32
Hax, I've missed you and your sense of humour over the past couple of seasons. We've often needed some cheering up especially during the first half of last season! If we survive and manage to get a team together for next season it could be a good time to start coming back - clean slate and all that! Hope to see you. As you can probably tell from my post I'll be there come rain or shine.

Tower
Tower
23 July, 2019 13:54
Quote:
Scuffer
Hax, I've missed you and your sense of humour over the past couple of seasons. We've often needed some cheering up especially during the first half of last season! If we survive and manage to get a team together for next season it could be a good time to start coming back - clean slate and all that! Hope to see you. As you can probably tell from my post I'll be there come rain or shine.

I am with you Scuffer come rain or shine and as usual will be a full paying season ticket holder.

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
23 July, 2019 15:46
Sorry. Not to watch Sale second team

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
23 July, 2019 15:54
Quote:
headingleytyke2

(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

Tower
Tower
24 July, 2019 12:48
Quote:
headingleytyke2

Without support this year Rugby at Headingley could be at serous risk.

The situation is bad at the moment but without support it will get worse.

Come on headingleytyke2 don't be a fair weather supporter. Things can only get better.

I will support anyone this year that steps out in a Yorkshire kit.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
24 July, 2019 18:02
Looks like we have some sort of plan to survive, let's hope it is cunning enough!

Interesting to see the details as they emerge but no mention at present of Sale Sharks - perhaps that element of the plan did not win approval with the rfu?

RothwellTyke
RothwellTyke
24 July, 2019 21:54
Have the first seeds of positivity been sown? Letís hope the DoR appointment delivers the rugby part of the plan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/07/2019 21:56 by RothwellTyke.

MESSAGES->author
Leeds Carnegie Signed Flag
24 July, 2019 22:39
Wonder if the new DoR has been introduced to his new playing squad
Then he turns and says ďwhat squad?Ē To which the reply came
ďThatís completely up to you, go find anyone willing to playĒ

Yeah slightly cynical granted but what else can he do?

Some say he has a Tykes flag with team signatures on.
Others say that he's doing the same to the Carnegie flag,
All we know is that he's called Leeds carnegie signed flag.

JDH1
JDH1
24 July, 2019 22:45
He knows rugby, Yorkshire rugby, part time rugby, has prem links. Plus he's a Yorkshire Man. Looks like a good appointment.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
25 July, 2019 08:38
Good post JDH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net