Latest news:
Saturday 14 December - 14:00, Yorkshire Carnegie v Nottingham at West Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

The state of the game
Discussion started by TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged), 04 July, 2019 08:23
TykesRugby.co.uk
TykesRugby.co.uk
04 July, 2019 08:23
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/07/2019 14:26 by Wildwillie .

Billy ba
Billy ba
04 July, 2019 08:50
I'm predicting a top 6 finish

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
04 July, 2019 09:09
Yes, but for which team?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Billy ba
Billy ba
04 July, 2019 09:13
I always predict s top 6 finish. Not been wrong yet in 7 yesrs

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
04 July, 2019 11:53
The last paragraph illustrates just what a pickle we are in. If the prem is ring-fenced then we survive. (Sm124)

Tower
Tower
04 July, 2019 12:21
Is anyone in know regarding season tickets?

Or is that just being daft at this stage?

To be honest will we have a starting lineup?

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
04 July, 2019 14:16
Got to have a team to pay to watch Tower.

Carnegiette and I met up last night and chewed the cud over all things YC, tickets being one topic of conversation. Everything came back to how are we going recruit a full-time and part-time coach and squad and get them ready to play matches in just over two months?

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
04 July, 2019 14:54
When you apply for a season ticket you have to prove that you have a pair of boots & are available to play.

(Sm134)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 14:55 by Wildwillie .

leeds_shark
WPL
04 July, 2019 15:27
Quote:
Wildwillie
When you apply for a season ticket you have to prove that you have a pair of boots & are available to play.
(Sm134)

I believe that gets you a 10% discount

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
04 July, 2019 15:48
Oh ye of little faith - I'm sure a Cunning Plan will emerge......but haven't a clue what it might be.

(Sm100)

Billy ba
Billy ba
04 July, 2019 17:26
I think the will be plenty of decent players about who will want to play for us and plenty of coaches who want to prove themselves. There will be supporters who sit and stand in the same place and moan about the same things.Come September things will be pretty much the same just different faces.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
04 July, 2019 19:02
A good peice WDL (Should it be WPL? or is it someone else?)

For me, this whole episode feels like when you've messed up at work and got away with it. You're relieved cos you got away with it but you still feel@#$%&because you know you did it.

Personally, and unfortunately, I don't think we're out of the woods yet and as I haven't really got much positive to say regarding next season, I'm saying nowt.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
04 July, 2019 19:16
Yes a point I forgot to make: excellent article WDL.

leeds_shark
WPL
04 July, 2019 19:40
Quote:
leemingtyke
For me, this whole episode feels like when you've messed up at work and got away with it. You're relieved cos you got away with it but you still feel@#$%&because you know you did it.

Personally, and unfortunately, I don't think we're out of the woods yet and as I haven't really got much positive to say regarding next season, I'm saying nowt.

Yes it was me 👍

I genuinely believe our fate will come down to the relegation / ring fencing decision. That said never say never whilst I wish what has happened to us on no one I would say there are a couple of clubs who rely on fragile sources of income.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
04 July, 2019 19:59
Even better article WPL.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
04 July, 2019 20:20
Yeah I agree. As you said, I think we're nailed on favourites to go down unless they scrap relegation.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
07 July, 2019 11:11
Quote:
leemingtyke
Well spotted Leeming. I am blaming my tools - trying out a new email client and the font is not compatible with the one I like to use. Copy & pasting is pants as you saw.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
13 July, 2019 19:14
My view is that rugby is a minority sport, football captures nearly all the young stars, stadium attendances and TV viewers. We need to accept that.
What is worrying for me is the "fast buck" that up and coming sports are tempted to accept from pay TV. This is a particular danger at present due to the CVC predatorial behaviour (think shark or pike). They are only paying cash into our sport because they believe they can make money by selling Tv rights to the highest bidder.
My worry is that rugby becomes a similar victim to cricket and that youngsters and grass-roots players never get to see high levels of the sport on Tv unless their family already subscribe: a way to make rugby even more exclusive.

Bran
Bran
14 July, 2019 08:54
I came up with this theory last year when all the trouble first started for Carnegie.

About November 2018 we bought a mass of over-seas players and 4 months later the money dried up. I have 2 suggestions.

1. The investors know ring fencing is almost here and there is no point putting money into anything that will not give a return, why invest 2 million into a club that will never be allowed more exposure than the 5-800 people in the crowd and sell 15 tops?

2. Leeds rugby have spent 40 million on a stadium, has 2 teams that are on the brink of relegation and are looking to clear the debt so they can carry on.

Rugby Union is digging itself into a very dark place, the way the elite game is running they will only have a player base from about a third of England as the game will shrink in the North, the England teams and network will slowly dry up and will become like the English football team lucky to make a qtr final at any high standard cup competition. Eddie Jones may have a bit of a resurgence, but I expect it to be short lived, lets face it last 6 nations we started fantastically but the players aren't good enough when the pressure is on.

The RFU is investing millions into women's rugby, very admiral, however it needs to do the same at the lower leagues if the men's game is going to continue at a top level. Twickenham is becoming a stadium frequented by corporate sales only and as Stuart Lancashire said, you have to expand the access to the children and rest of the country if you hope to compete with countries the size of the USA.

Unfortunately Britain is a county of get rich quick off the back of someone else and run a mile.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
14 July, 2019 16:12
Leeds rugby have spent 5 million on the stadium, the rest will be paid in instalments over 25 years. Yorkshire cricket will be paying a fair chunk of the balance too.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/07/2019 04:11 by Albert Fishwick.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
14 July, 2019 19:22
I think that the balanced point of view is that Leeds Rhinos need to escape relegation for the finances to work. The really low (ú2 million) salary cap in RL means that they have to jettison stars in order to get some headroom to recruit others.

Tricky times but I wish them the best in avoiding relegation as they represent Leeds as a (normally) successful affaire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net