Latest news:
Saturday 14 December - 14:00, Yorkshire Carnegie v Nottingham at West Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

What would make you proud to say you support YC?
Discussion started by Carnegiette2 (IP Logged), 10 August, 2019 11:14
Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
10 August, 2019 11:14
The last few months have been tough to be a YC supporter - uncertainty, near extinction, players and coaches leaving, the CVA, the medical bills (for me a very low point). There's nothing positive or any pride about a situation where players and coaches have lost their livelihoods, we have had to resort to legal means to survive and avoid a points deduction, and 6 weeks before the season we don't have a team.

But we do still have a club. Geech and his Yorkshire vision have gone, and we don't know who else is left of the Board - we know we have very little money. We do have a new DOR (a Yorkshireman), and a new Head Coach who have got a huge and difficult task ahead of them.

There's people who post on this message board who say they won't go to a game or support again - yet still debate on here over what 's gone wrong. There's other die-hards who will be there come September to support whatever team we put out, and there's others who may go along out of curiosity if they're not doing anything else on a Sunday afternoon.

What now would make you feel proud again to say you supported YC?? What would you want to see the Club do to re-engage with fans?? What would make you want to go to a game again??

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
10 August, 2019 11:44
I would like some fan engagement and honest communication. Chris Stirling showed how it can be done. OK there are confidential matters that have to be guarded but the club needs to be much more open.

And we do not just want good news. If there is a problem - let us know how it is being sorted or mitigated.

We are usually clever enough to sniff things out on this board and no news is usually taken as worst case scenario bad news.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
10 August, 2019 11:53
I could guess that most replies will be impossible wishes coming from people who have already said they will not return to Headingley.
As a supporter who will take the rough (and not necessarily like it) with the smooth to support my team, I would like to see more communication with supporters, within constraints of running a business. From supporters it would be good to avoid uniformed speculation going forward in whatever format.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
10 August, 2019 12:31
Change the name back to Leeds Tykes.

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
10 August, 2019 13:07
Quote:
almostatyke
I would like some fan engagement and honest communication. Chris Stirling showed how it can be done. OK there are confidential matters that have to be guarded but the club needs to be much more open.

Hi Almo
This is something I've stressed and stressed and stressed since it all started to unravel, more so from when it was obvious we were going to lose Chris and his squad.

I will continue to bleat this mantra so that Martyn and Joe have us as advocates.

It's a little bit like having more information than we've seen in the press, I've been able to put a few people right some of the bouleship that's been banded about. While not making stuff right it's help people who don't have the full details (or who can't be bothered to unearth more) to understand. Medical bills being one - not the best example but pointing out it was those medical companies TS&C's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 13:56 by Gelbel.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
10 August, 2019 13:14
Quote:
Wildwillie
(Sm134)

Serious Q WW - why would that make you proud?

Billy ba
Billy ba
10 August, 2019 13:20
One thing that annoyed me was supporters jumping to conclusions before knowing all the facts

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
10 August, 2019 13:25
Quote:
Billy ba
One thing that annoyed me was supporters jumping to conclusions before knowing all the facts

Which comes back to comms again- in the absence of facts people use their best guess.......

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
10 August, 2019 14:01
A lot of clubs I played for had a hardy band of followers happy to travel to most games to watch us even when we were shite....a bit like your girls on tour, they stand in same spot week in week out meet before game in same pub for a pre match pint, only rule of that band of brothers/sisters was win lose or draw they backed us players out on the field and had a drink with us afterwards, I can't travel to every away game but happy to meet up before and after for an hour build up a small band and see if it grow, the group that followed us started as 5 is still going and 50strong club even give them a discount on the coach to away games, proud to be part of a new hardcore set of Carnegie Ultras!!!!!

Club need to do their bit too but getting players to be as approachable as last season would be a great start

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
10 August, 2019 14:34
Quote:
Gelbel
Quote:
Wildwillie
(Sm134)

As a Burmantofts lad and ex-Roundhay player I was always proud of the Leeds Tykes (and United & Rhinos). My city, my teams. I never bought in to the "Yorkshire" thing and have never been comfortable shouting C'mon Yorkshire. Playing in the city colours (blue and old gold) would make me even prouder.

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
10 August, 2019 15:43
Quote:
Wildwillie
Quote:
Gelbel
Quote:
Wildwillie
(Sm134)

As a Burmantofts lad and ex-Roundhay player I was always proud of the Leeds Tykes (and United & Rhinos). My city, my teams. I never bought in to the "Yorkshire" thing and have never been comfortable shouting C'mon Yorkshire. Playing in the city colours (blue and old gold) would make me even prouder.

(Sm134)

Cheers for that. That would make me very happy, rather than proud - perhaps as I am not born and bred but then, I am mighty proud to live here.

Watching Leeds Utd for the second time in seven days, I so miss belting out Marching On Together.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
10 August, 2019 16:07
We do not represent Yorkshire: that unilateral attempt to become the county team has been tried and ultimately failed. Therefore it is no longer relevant as our name.
Obviously there are greater priorities at the moment (players?) but I would like to move away from this disliked name as soon as practical.
Leeds Tykes fine by me, and would help restore pride.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
10 August, 2019 19:16
Mindful that the question is 'what would make you proud'

1. I can't be proud of a club when I genuinely don't believe anything they say. The club simply HAS to communicate regularly and, most importantly, honestly with its supporters. And I mean honestly, good or bad. We're grown ups, we can handle it and we can see straight through Gary Hetheringtons airbrush.

2. I'd like to see us have a genuine presence at Schools and Rugby Clubs, initially around Leeds but spreading further afield once we are able. I was gutted to receive an email from one of my boys old clubs (Ripon) advertising their Newcastle Falcons summer training camp. And I'd like us to be the first club to make a serious and concerted effort to target state schools rather than just fee paying schools.

And lastly, 3. I'm in agreement with Wild Willie, we need to be Leeds Tykes again. I supported the Yorkshire concept but it has proved unpopular, overly ambitious for a club with our limited means, and its given us a serious credibility issue. You might say 'what's in a name' but your name is everything, it's how you identify yourself and how other people identify you. Kids in particular can identify with it which is important. Tykes is a brand, its memorable and its a source of pride to many. It might, just might bring some old supporters back and create some new ones.

Bobba
Bobba
10 August, 2019 19:51
We were a club born out of two proud Leeds Clubs. Returning to Leeds Tykes would be good but not all that important. What would be important for me is to simply bring back "Leeds" into our name, A simple Leeds Rugby Union would be fine. Also playing in the colours of this great City, white, blue and gold. That would be a start for me.

Bobba
Bobba
10 August, 2019 20:27
Quote:
almostatyke
We do not represent Yorkshire: that unilateral attempt to become the county team has been tried and ultimately failed. Therefore it is no longer relevant as our name.
Obviously there are greater priorities at the moment (players?) but I would like to move away from this disliked name as soon as practical.

Oh, how the wind blows!

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
10 August, 2019 20:32
Absolutely nothing this club does could make me proud to support them. The way they have treated their players, and their supporters is a disgrace.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

Tower
Tower
10 August, 2019 21:41
Quote:
Wildwillie
(Sm134)

No we cannot just go back to 'Leeds' in the name we have moved on. Going back is never a good thing IMHO. We need fresh and new.

Tower
Tower
10 August, 2019 21:54
Quote:
almostatyke

Could not disagree more. We are all Yorkshire this is so boring going on about the old name. The Leeds name has been and gone. You must remember that Leeds did not always have a good connotation. I remember being at Leicester and the suppporters were moaning about our performance and then stated well what can you expect from Leeds just like their old football teams !!!!!!! Additionally, we will/could get sponsership from outside Leeds which would be very welcome.

Tower
Tower
10 August, 2019 22:01
Quote:
opuscoitus
A lot of clubs I played for had a hardy band of followers happy to travel to most games to watch us even when we were shite....a bit like your girls on tour, they stand in same spot week in week out meet before game in same pub for a pre match pint, only rule of that band of brothers/sisters was win lose or draw they backed us players out on the field and had a drink with us afterwards, I can't travel to every away game but happy to meet up before and after for an hour build up a small band and see if it grow, the group that followed us started as 5 is still going and 50strong club even give them a discount on the coach to away games, proud to be part of a new hardcore set of Carnegie Ultras!!!!!
Club need to do their bit too but getting players to be as approachable as last season would be a great start

Good posting some positive suggestions that we could all buy into.

RothwellTyke
RothwellTyke
10 August, 2019 22:10
A lot of great posts to a great question

For me, its a club that goes back to the amateur ethos of talking to its supporters. Players and coaches who thank fans for going to watch them away. A bar where all can mix safely and with honest, friendly chat. And a club board that talks to the fans regularly (although it would have to change a long established habit)

I am saddened to see so many saying they wont go watch now. I dont know any of the names here, probably seen many faces at the games but whenever I have gone to away games there has always been a friendly welcome from any fan supporting Leeds or Yorkshire. And I am sure that many who say they wont go again are part of that group. I am saddened they wont be there as standing at away games in a small bunch of fans who make my mate and I feel welcome makes me proud to be a fan of this club and I hope it will in the future, sadly without a few of the faces home and away that I used to enjoy seeing and listening too

To those who are not going again, I say thank you for bringing fun at the home n away games with your banter. You will be missed. To those continuing the ups and downs of supporting this club, whatever its name and whoever is playing for us, I look forward to chats, pints and the rugby in the coming season

JDH1
JDH1
10 August, 2019 23:16
Go back to Leeds tykes for me too. As already said we don't represent Yorkshire. It didn't work and caused more harm than good. Instantly I would feel prouder and have a greater connection to a Leeds club as I did when I first started supporting in 01. It would bring a better club feel too.
Better communication which is a culture change. This was summed up for me in a fans meeting when someone asked why don't they post an injury list on the offie so we know where and how players are. Which most other clubs do. To which bentos said "well we are not any club we are YC". I just thought what a load of bollox and get over yourself.

MESSAGES->author
corporalcarrot
11 August, 2019 07:06
It would be easy to post - beat Falcons & Trailfinders - but supporters getting behind their team would be enough for me even if they lose more than they win. I hope Leeds make a go of it but if they do go down they don't throw the towel in. I hope you pack out the South Stand and bang the drum and I hope to join in the banter as an away supporter when Jersey visit. The financial mess had nothing to do with genuine supporters and I consider myself lucky to still count some as friends who are always welcome in St Ouen. Keep the faith lads. cc

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
11 August, 2019 10:22
So after today's rumoured signing, what would make me proud is a squad who will do anything for the club so that all the rubbish is put behind us and we're known for our style of play and team spirit not 'money shenanigans'.

The 'band of brothers' we saw in the later part of last season was borne out of adversity - this season I want to see it borne out of onwards and upwards and a closed door on the past. I worry about this happening as I've never seen such a non-team player as Varndell as down at Nottingham last season. I've not seen anything on other occasions to give me a glimmer of hope.

If he signs, I hope he gives himself/gets a kick up the backside and uses his experience to help youngsters/less experienced develop.

Name is not a deal breaker for me, however, I refer to being able to belt out Marching On Together - one hell of a way to get behind the boys in unison.

Corporal Carrot - see you in January, two here booked already.

Tower
Tower
11 August, 2019 11:08
Quote:
JDH1
Go back to Leeds tykes for me too. As already said we don't represent Yorkshire. It didn't work and caused more harm than good. Instantly I would feel prouder and have a greater connection to a Leeds club as I did when I first started supporting in 01. It would bring a better club feel too.
Better communication which is a culture change. This was summed up for me in a fans meeting when someone asked why don't they post an injury list on the offie so we know where and how players are. Which most other clubs do. To which bentos said "well we are not any club we are YC". I just thought what a load of bollox and get over yourself.

I would not be proud but very embarrassed to return to the name of Leeds, Can you imagine what the away fans would say !!!!! I dread to think. I want us to build a great team and good support again and going backwards is not going to start that journey. Come on guys stop going on about going backwards if you want a new name be positive and inventive.

MESSAGES->author
Competitive Dad
11 August, 2019 11:22
The club to gracefully announce that it has decided to cease to be.
This last minute raiding of other clubs is quite disgraceful. They hace set budgets, recruited and formed plans only for YC to go against every value in the book.
End it now

Bobba
Bobba
11 August, 2019 12:22
Tower I seem to recall that in a past, a while ago you, stated that you started supporting when our name changed to Yorkshire, a mere handful of years ago. You appear to be denying the past. A mere 5 years!

There are those of us that have supported for decades, some going back to last century. We remember the happy days of going up through the leagues to finish up in the Premiership. That was a Club that bore the name Leeds! It was a Club formed out of two proud Leeds Clubs. The Tykes came about in the professional era. It was a great brand, appreciated throughout the country. They were happy days, so please, stop slagging off those of us who would like the Leeds name to return.

You would be "very embarrassed to return to the name of Leeds". If you hate Leeds that much, what are you doing here?

Like Gelbel, WW and others I would love to hear "Marching on together, we're gonna see you win, we are so proud, we shout it out loud, we love you Leeds, Leeds, Leeds! being belted out at H or any other ground we may be playing at!

Billy ba
Billy ba
11 August, 2019 12:36
If everyone stopped whinging and moaning it would be a start

Tower
Tower
11 August, 2019 12:39
Quote:
Bobba
Tower I seem to recall that in a past, a while ago you, stated that you started supporting when our name changed to Yorkshire, a mere handful of years ago. You appear to be denying the past. A mere 5 years!
There are those of us that have supported for decades, some going back to last century. We remember the happy days of going up through the leagues to finish up in the Premiership. That was a Club that bore the name Leeds! It was a Club formed out of two proud Leeds Clubs. The Tykes came about in the professional era. It was a great brand, appreciated throughout the country. They were happy days, so please, stop slagging off those of us who would like the Leeds name to return.

You would be "very embarrassed to return to the name of Leeds". If you hate Leeds that much, what are you doing here?

Like Gelbel, WW and others I would love to hear "Marching on together, we're gonna see you win, we are so proud, we shout it out loud, we love you Leeds, Leeds, Leeds! being belted out at H or any other ground we may be playing at!

Bobba

I do not take kindly to a personal attack I am here because I am a season ticket holder and just because you are in your little echo chamber does not mean that you are right.

I thought this forum was for supporters that could have a different point of view. If you cannot debate without being personal I will not attend this forum. I hope that makes your day.

I wonder how many season ticket holders want to reverse the name? True supporters would be season ticket holders.

Bobba
Bobba
11 August, 2019 12:51
When it comes to personal, I suggest you look at your own posts!. You have had a go at me on several occasions. I hear no echoes. And no, I'm nor always right, I do get things wrong. But you will never hear me being disrespectful to the City of my birth. Leeds.

oopnorth
oopnorth
11 August, 2019 14:59
On the subject of naming I would be happy with a return to Tykes. Leeds Tykes if you like as it does reflect on the period when the club achieved the most. As a Headingley supporter, member and briefly a junior player since 1968 I was surprised by the merger with achrivals Roundhay to form Leeds, but given the was rugby was going it made sense. The move to Headingley stadium as the Leeds Tykes and ground sharing with Leeds RL was even more astonishing, but the team moved up through the divisions to the Premiership. I have never taken to Leeds Carnegie as a name replacement but again thought well if the students turn out the crowds would be great. Didn t happen though did it and as crowds declined and playing form dropped action was needed and Yorkshire Carnegie arose on the basis there were people who watched the team from out with Leeds so why not try to appeal to the wider county even more, and possibly sponsors, and maybe the RFU, who do want a successful top club in the county, whatever it may be called and located.

Pride does not come into it. Simply I have always followed rugby teams near my old home in Headingley, Kirkstall and Bramley, and no doubt always will. As for the name YC, it would be no loss and as someone has said is not easy to chant. My other alternative if Yorkshire Tykes is a non-starter, is Headingley Tykes. It is famous worldwide for cricket and rugby league, and where the RU team plays so why not ?

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
11 August, 2019 18:43
Quote:
Tower
Quote:
Wildwillie
(Sm134)

No we cannot just go back to 'Leeds' in the name we have moved on. Going back is never a good thing IMHO. We need fresh and new.

Tower - the thing we lack is tradition. We seem to rebrand at a whim - change name, change colours. Tradition is important in the long run. The club was founded as "Leeds". To rename as Leeds is not going back but merely reverting to the traditional name (albeit a short tradition.) We clearly have not moved on . We are haemorraghing support every season. "Fresh and new" has not worked.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
11 August, 2019 18:56
I think that the name of our club is secondary. If we survive, and have the luxury of making that decision, then that is a nice problem to have. We are only just in existence as YC.
I know we all have different perspectives on this - where you live for example, or how long you have been supporting the club.
I just hope that the club name, whatever it will be, does not put people off.

PS we are looking to recruit new supporters as well as keeping as many of the old brigade as we can.

Old brigade comments such as Johnny Come Lately etc are not helpful IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
11 August, 2019 20:44
Sorry to be pedantic but Carnegiette2's question was "What would make you proud to say you support YC?" All responses suggesting name change are therefore irrelevant!

MESSAGES->author
Leeds Carnegie Signed Flag
11 August, 2019 20:53
The Carnegie Challenger (pre facelift model)

Some say he has a Tykes flag with team signatures on.
Others say that he's doing the same to the Carnegie flag,
All we know is that he's called Leeds carnegie signed flag.

JDH1
JDH1
11 August, 2019 21:30
Leeds tykes all the way. Embarrassing to go back? More so than calling yourself Yorkshire in our current state and with what's happened? Do me a favour Tower.

Completely agree with the comments on lack to tradition. That's exactly what's wrong.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
12 August, 2019 06:10
Quote:
Beeston Lion
Sorry to be pedantic but Carnegiette2's question was "What would make you proud to say you support YC?" All responses suggesting name change are therefore irrelevant!

Quite right BL. I should have just answered "Nowt" and left you all guessing as to why . (Sm134)

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
12 August, 2019 08:22
I did expect the name change to come up to be fair- its been good to understand why people are so passionate about it

leeds_shark
WPL
12 August, 2019 19:13
What would make me proud.....a hard working team that is over achieving hat they should.

Off the pitch I would love to see the club become more of a community, people seeing it as an opportunity to meet friends, a central space for people to meet for a pre match drink, maybe more traditional rugby club food...somewhere not like a full meal in a cafe or a burger vans.

Good communication between the club and fans where possible, appreciating recent things have been very confidential for legal reasons.

Opus I like the idea of a travelling group as well...I couldnt say I could do everyone due to small children but would like to be part of it!

Does the name matter...to me personally not, however I can see why it does to others and to be honest being able to leave as much behind as we can with Yorkshire Carnegie might not be a bad thing....fresh start / return to better times.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
12 August, 2019 19:19
Nice post and some good points WPL.

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
12 August, 2019 19:39
WPL what you would like at the club is admirable but whilst the current regime is here it will never be a club

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
12 August, 2019 22:03
Interesting comments - I started the thread as I was trying to explain to a work colleague what the club means to me given the events of the last few months, and my feelings were very conflicted.

The name has never been that important to me, but I understand for some of you why it is, and I am in agreement with WPL that a fresh start might be a good thing. "Yorkshire" has failed and its main cheerleader has stepped down. Communication (or lack of) another good point.

I think the thing I'd like most is if we could return to being known for the rugby - good or bad - and not the endless off the field debacles of the last few months....

JDH1
JDH1
13 August, 2019 10:27
For me everything starts from binning the name and that which has gone with it.
Keep it and forever be associated with the debacle.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
13 August, 2019 14:51
With start of season imminent I do not know what would be allowed if a name change were planned!

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
13 August, 2019 15:16
Thinking about above and took a look at relevant rules.

The content below is set out fully within RFU Rule 3.1 Membership.

Sub section 3.7.6 States RFU have right to determine the date when name change becomes effective.
Sub section 3.7.8 States clubs must apply by 31st May for the following season so as to ensure that application can be considered and new name , if approved, included in following seasons published fixture list and other documentation.
But Sub section 3.7.14 Says that Clubs are not allowed to change their name between 1st September and 31st May except in exceptional circumstances.

Given above, apart from full content of Rule 3.1, where would that leave any potentially planned change for Carnegie?

leeds_shark
WPL
13 August, 2019 15:30
I would think the bigger challenge to a name change is the fact all the kit will be branded as Yorkshire - we won't have the money to change that at all.

JDH1
JDH1
13 August, 2019 16:19
Maybe next year then.....

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
13 August, 2019 16:28
The Team Formerly Known As... (Sm100)

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
13 August, 2019 18:38
This is of course all just wishful thinking........

JDH1
JDH1
13 August, 2019 18:50
The board need to seriously consider it. All the reasons we changed to Yorkshire have either not worked out or not happened. Why keep it imo

MESSAGES->author
Geoff DC
13 August, 2019 22:05
Just sticking my nose in - but most of the rest of us in the other clubs still call you Leeds
So stay YC for the rules but be who you really are in spirit (Sm60)

Bobba
Bobba
14 August, 2019 12:09
Quote:
Geoff DC
Just sticking my nose in - but most of the rest of us in the other clubs still call you Leeds
So stay YC for the rules but be who you really are in spirit (Sm60)

Your nose is appreciated! Good post!(Sm152)

oopnorth
oopnorth
14 August, 2019 16:23
I must admit I have used come on Leeds, and Yorkshire, and often Tykes.

Leeds Carnegie existed long before the Tykes as a good quality higher education rugby union team akin to Loughborough College.

Never took to being the second Leeds Carnegie.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
15 August, 2019 06:50
As I sometimes feel I was the only person to buy into the rebranding and bought a ST on the back of it every year since I personally can't see what changing name back will achieve?

I'm uncomfortable with what's gone on and my view since it happened was and still is we should be in N1 or below and rebuilding, but I or we don't make those decisions so it is what it is

From my view on here and in stand people will still find something else to moan about or will say "good about time it went back to Leeds.......but I'm still not coming"

It will make no difference, call it what you like it won't put bums on seats the Fairweather supporters will not turn up this season suspect we would be very lucky to break 1k for any game this year, other forums already want to boycott our games this season (however most hardly swelled the gates last year did they?)

The club have been through the brown sticky stuff plenty in the past few months and suspect a couple more trips through it still to come, we moaned as a collective when it looked like we had no club we are now moaning over the name or the lack of news on website about coming players, we will be moaning come season start as Terry isn't the dog he once was,

Look on other forums and as a club/name/board whatever we are as popular as fart in a wetsuit, no one likes us no-one wants us in championship and instead of circling our wagons and "marching on together" we are as fragmented now as we ever have been in my time on here,

genuinely it's like herding cats on here trying to make sense of some of the posts and instead of me wondering why do posters bother coming on here spouting off when no intention of going to games etc I've taking to wondering why I bother reading it,

Call yourselves Leeds and "march on together"?

Get behind the club in whatever guise it is would be a start

Bobba
Bobba
15 August, 2019 07:04
Terry a dog? I always thought she was a hamster!(Sm105)

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
15 August, 2019 08:03
Quote:
opuscoitus
From my view on here and in stand people will still find something else to moan about or will say "good about time it went back to Leeds.......but I'm still not coming"...........genuinely it's like herding cats on here trying to make sense of some of the posts and instead of me wondering why do posters bother coming on here spouting off when no intention of going to games etc I've taking to wondering why I bother reading it......

We tolerate former fans who now moan a lot and do not attend matches because we value all opinions even if they are not in line with our own.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
15 August, 2019 08:57
I think the fact that someone who won't go to games and moan about everything about the club but will waste their clearly valuable time posting on here about the club they have grown to dislike enough not to watch through whatever reason speaks volumes, tolerating opinions or not

Personally the situation about the club is what it is wether we like it or not wether we post on here or not, personally I'm going to stand in my usual spot in South stand, I have met and enjoyed the company of many posters on here over the seasons during a game where admittedley through tough times we have "stood cheered supported on together"

I shall leave this MB pretty much the same as I found it mostly good banter but a pretty miserable bunch as well at times and hope you all get your name change or your prem rugby or a pretty shirt with old Leeds colours and you join me on the South stand actually supporting the club we supposedly care about enough to post on here,

As a leaving shot suggest everyone looks at various MB and how we are perceived by others and everyone at least attempts to get behind whatever the club is trying to do and at least attempt whatever this "marching on together" is

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
15 August, 2019 12:54
I'll be sorry to see you go Opus.

Im enjoying Rolling Maul immensely at the moment, massively entertaining as long as you're not too worried about accuracy of content.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
15 August, 2019 19:25
I have been finding it increasingly difficult to refrain from commenting on "Big Eddie"'s crusade against Yorkshire Carnegie, the RFU, life, the universe and everything, but will hold out a bit longer.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
15 August, 2019 20:34
Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines Albert, just can't be bothered to create an account on there

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
16 August, 2019 06:25
Quote:
leemingtyke
Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines Albert, just can't be bothered to create an account on there

The denizens of Rolling Maul keep wondering why YC supporters do not defend the club on their mb . They also read this mb and quote from some of more eloquent posters. One of our most rabid critics on Rolling Maul is the guy who started the yellow hat trend at Headingley! (Sm124)

Bobba
Bobba
16 August, 2019 18:31
Would it not be good if our so called management stood up and said "Sorry, but we got it wrong!" Clearly it is too much to ask for.(Sm117)

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
16 August, 2019 18:53
If I was management and someone addressed me as "so called" I would suggest that they foxtrotted right Oscar! (Sm134)

Billy ba
Billy ba
16 August, 2019 19:10
Give it a rest Bobba

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
16 August, 2019 19:26
I a with you Bobba. Too many people defending poor management

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
16 August, 2019 20:10
Little we say or do will have any effect on the club management. If it is badly managed then it is down to the owner(s) to do something about it.

If you do not like the way the club is managed it will suffice to just say so once and then, as Billy Ba so eloquently puts it ,"give it a rest"

MESSAGES->author
Knavesmire
17 August, 2019 04:12
Definitely return the club name to Leeds. The Yorkshire thing has been humiliating - trying to look a Doncaster or Rotherham fan in the eye has been difficult.

I can't fathom the notion of boycotting Leeds matches. Whilst the events have been shameful, and I have felt ashamed, irrespective of whoever is to blame, there are a bunch of people doing their best trying to create a competitive rugby club in my home city - they have my support.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
17 August, 2019 08:04
Twitter heading back into full on anti-Carnegie mode this morning, mainly in response to a tweet from Danny Care who was himself responding to news of the Tom Varndell signing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/08/2019 08:41 by leemingtyke.

Bobba
Bobba
17 August, 2019 10:59
Quote:
Wildwillie
If I was management and someone addressed me as "so called" I would suggest that they foxtrotted right Oscar! (Sm134)

You're probably quite right there WW. However, let me assure you that the feeling would be quite mutual.

Bobba
Bobba
17 August, 2019 11:07
Quote:
Billy ba
Give it a rest Bobba

OK. I concede defeat. Clearly I have missed something in that Martyn will get a team together, and we will compete this season in the Championship to finish just above the bottom. That will be sufficient for the RFU to promote us to the ring fenced 14 team Premiership, where we will be playing in front of capacity crowds at Headingley, and Leeds Rugby will be dancing away to the bank singing, money, money, money! Great! Innit! So. No more negativity from me! Till the next coc up at least!

headingleytyke2
headingleytyke2
17 August, 2019 15:13
I agree Bobba. I have seen the pigs flying over headingley

Dr Zaius
Dr Zaius
17 August, 2019 19:11
Quote:
Bobba
Quote:
Billy ba
Give it a rest Bobba

OK. I concede defeat. Clearly I have missed something in that Martyn will get a team together, and we will compete this season in the Championship to finish just above the bottom. That will be sufficient for the RFU to promote us to the ring fenced 14 team Premiership, where we will be playing in front of capacity crowds at Headingley, and Leeds Rugby will be dancing away to the bank singing, money, money, money! Great! Innit! So. No more negativity from me! Till the next coc up at least!
The only thing this has to do with Leeds Rugby anymore is that they are giving us a stadium and resources for almost nothing.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
17 August, 2019 19:36
Thanks for your post, Dr Z, but:

(Sm164)

Sadly facts get in the way of prejudice.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
17 August, 2019 20:45
Quote:
almostatyke
Thanks for your post, Dr Z, but:
(Sm164)

Sadly facts get in the way of prejudice.

Almo, please quote the FACTS of why Carnegie are in the sh*t, and have no respect anywhere within the rugby community.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
17 August, 2019 20:51
Hax did you not realise that our cornerstone investor had a massive and unexpected business hiccup and had to withdraw his finances mid-season without warning?
Everything else is secondary.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke
17 August, 2019 20:59
Quote:
almostatyke
Hax did you not realise that our cornerstone investor had a massive and unexpected business hiccup and had to withdraw his finances mid-season without warning?

That is the story that has been told, and I do not believe for one moment that is the entire story. There were no deposits, or anything and Carnegie foolishly went ahead and spent, (a lot), of money they never had, or even seen. No doubt they still believed 'Yorkshire' would attract investment from somewhere. Have the club issued any statements about the unpaid medical bills, other than they were bailed out? In fact, have the club issued any statements of truth over the last few seasons? I have no doubt that this season, Carnegie will be doing a Hartpury and bringing ringers in, will everybody have a different opinion then if it means they avoid relegation? This will be my last post on this forum, I think every supporter has been well and truly misled, and let down.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
17 August, 2019 21:47
Hi Hax, sorry if my response was a bit rude. You are welcome to question the truth of what has been said, after all the club have been less than open for many years.
All I will say is that I spoke to Chris Stirling at the Darlington pre-season match (with WildWillie present) and he explained how the season's finances we going to work and that we would be signing players through the season. This happened.
Chris Stirling is the most solid character you could ever meet IMHO. I do not believe that he signed fellow NZ compaitriots on false pretences, in fact most are with him now at pirates.
I understand that others may take a different view, and people think I am defending the club too rigorously, but I went to every fans' meeting, went to one of the open training sessions and spoke to Chris on several occasions (including dinner time at Morrisons, Kirkstall).

I have formed my own opinion but respect others may have theirs. I just want them to justify with some facts or evidence.

Sorry it has reached this position but I do not like some of the stuff unfairly thrown at us. Wish you could feel able to come back and support us in the future (if there is a future) Hax.

You have my greatest respect.

JDH1
JDH1
17 August, 2019 22:32
I will be glad when the season starts......

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
18 August, 2019 07:12
Quote:
Haxbytyke
This will be my last post on this forum.......

Nooooo!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
20 August, 2019 09:27
Quote:
Haxbytyke
Quote:
almostatyke

That is the story that has been told, and I do not believe for one moment that is the entire story.

Oh for a crystal ball. Perhaps they'll dish them out with this year's season tickets.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
21 August, 2019 13:23
thumbs down

Bobba
Bobba
23 August, 2019 17:49
Ouija boards, palmistry and tarot cards could also help. Does anyone know a dance that could somehow magically conjure up a team? Not enough players at the moment to fill a substitute bench, let alone a starting 15!

Bobba
Bobba
31 August, 2019 21:37
Going back to the original question. I think the answer has got to be, knowing that there is still a club to support!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net