Latest news:
Saturday 30 November - 14:30, Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish at West Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

Sunday Team News
Discussion started by WPL (IP Logged), 25 October, 2019 11:11
leeds_shark
WPL
25 October, 2019 11:11
Offy Link

Carnegie make four changes for Coventry game
25/10/2019

Yorkshire Carnegie’s Director of Rugby, Martyn Wood and Head Coach, Joe Ford have made four changes to their side to face Coventry in the Greene King IPA Championship this Sunday 27th October, kick off 3pm.

Joel Matavesi has joined the club on loan from Newcastle Falcons and comes into the starting line up in place of Dan Lancaster who is named on the bench. Sione Faletau comes in for his first appearances of the season. The prop returned to Carnegie this season, having previously played for the club in 2017.

The rest of the changes come in the forwards, with James Seabrook and Callum Bustin coming in for Henri Lavin and Guy Graham.

On the bench Jordan Howden, who is a trialist, could be set for his first appearance for the club and Will Finaly returns for his second appearance.

15. Tim Bitirim
14. Ryan Shaw
13. Joe Carlisle
12. Joel Matavesi
11. Tom Varndell
10. Joe Ford (cc)
9. Jamie Elliott
1. James Flynn
2. Ben Sowrey (cc)
3. Sione Falatau
4. Jake Brady
5. Alex Humfrey
6. Thom Smith
7. James Seabrook
8. Callum Bustin

16. Louis Musseti
17. Alex Reid
18. Connor Davidson
19. Trystan Lloyd
20. Henri Lavin
21. Will Finlay
22. Dan Lancaster
23. Jordan Howden

Experienced front row there and a new loan signing - I do quite like Lancaster so a good player to bring in off the bench. Shame about Graham as he seemed a good player, I wonder if rested or called back to Falcons?

See you all on Sunday

Bobba
Bobba
25 October, 2019 16:40
Joel Matavesi is not a half bad addition to the team. Interesting!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
25 October, 2019 18:13
Agreed Bobba - I saw him play for Wharfedale two years ago and despite his tender age he was head and shoulders above the others on the pitch that day.

Just a minute - have I just agreed with Bobba? Time to retire to a darkened room perhaps?

(Sm100)(Sm100)(Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
OldNick
25 October, 2019 19:13
The Coventry Rugby team has been named for Sunday’s Championship clash against Yorkshire Carnegie at Headingley.

There are just the three changes to the starting line-up from that which ran out for the Round 2 thriller against Bedford, with Scott Tolmie and Senitiki Nayalo coming into the pack.

Out wide there is a first start of the season for David Halaifonua, who returned to Butts Park Arena last week following his Rugby World Cup outings for Tonga in Japan, and Joe Buckle returns to his former club as one of the replacements.

Sunday’s game is being covered live by BBC Coventry and Warwickshire via the BBC Sport website and app.

COVENTRY RUGBY TEAM TO PLAY YORKSHIRE CARNEGIE
Championship Round 3
Headingley
Sunday, October 27th, 2019
Kick off 3:00pm

15 James Stokes;
14 Rob Knox,
13 Heath Stevens,
12 Rory Jennings,
11 David Halaifonua;
10 Will Maisey,
9 Pete White;

1 James Gibbons,
2 Scott Tolmie,
3 Phil Boulton (capt),
4 Nile Dacres,
5 James Voss,
6 Adam Peters,
7 Jack Ram,
8 Senitiki Nayalo

16 Joe Buckle,
17 Toby Trinder,
18 Gareth Denman,
19 Alex Woolford,
20 Ryan Burrows,
21 Tom Kessell,
22 Tony Fenner,
23 Luke Wallace

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
25 October, 2019 19:40
Joe Buckle, along with Buzz and Gareth Denman making a trio of former Headingley personnel on bench!

Farmertyke1
Farmertyke1
27 October, 2019 08:54
Thought Alex Reid played well 2 weeks ago off the bench

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
27 October, 2019 12:56
Won't be there due to a virus which currently has me on my ar£e and is winding me right up!

Hoping the boys can take inspiration from England's outstanding performance yesterday. #ComeOnCarnegie

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
27 October, 2019 15:48
That doesn't seem to be working.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
27 October, 2019 15:53
No,
No it doesn't!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
27 October, 2019 17:02
Final score 26 - 66 and a try bonus point takes us off nul pointsin the table.

JDH1
JDH1
27 October, 2019 18:53
Thought the 8 was good and most tried pretty hard. But some of the decision making and defence was a joke.

Can I watch that every couple of weeks. After 19 years, I don't know.

Farmertyke1
Farmertyke1
27 October, 2019 19:08
Yes I agree Callum had a good game .

JDH1
JDH1
27 October, 2019 20:04
The improvement required is massive. The work required to get there? Martyn and Joe have done job on. Mission impossible?

Lanny having a good chat with Gary at HT.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
27 October, 2019 20:33
Part of problem is no mouth..... Mentioned it during game annoying mouthy 9 needed to gee up forwards and speed ball up, too slow today 9 was caught out plenty........ Not his fault but a gob like JB wouldn't go amiss

Cannot fault effort given just cov got a try bonus point just from our errors, it's a sad by product of only 2 training sessions a week

BP deserved for effort today just think basics first would keep us a little closer

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
27 October, 2019 21:12
Yeah, I think if there's one thing I've learned about this game it's that you have to get the basics right first.

I've never seen a good team with a poor defence.

And you build your score.

When I look at the details from today's game and see that there wasn't a single penalty scored by either team, it has the look of an age grade grassroots game. And I just think wtf are we doing?

It was always gonna be tough, this season, but if we're building something then those good habits need to be instilled from the start.

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge
28 October, 2019 08:39
Despite the loss I took a number of positives. Callum Bustin looked good, hope his injury not bad. Joe Ford played well throughout. Line out much better despite a few awful ones and a steal to boot. At least 4 of their tries gift wrapped by us. Definitely signs of working more as a team. Also quite enjoying the North Stand experience. However it is difficult to see how we are going to get a win.

leeds exile
leeds exile
29 October, 2019 15:28
This was my first match of the season. I used to attend regularly when the club was Leeds Tykes and even went to Twickenham for the Cup win over Bath. I opposed the change to Yorkshire Carnegie and all that it implied. However I continued to watch the team several times a season. I was impressed by the effort and enthusiasm shown against Coventry but tactically they were very naive. George Ford kicking straight to a player for an unopposed walk in try was the worst example. Still I think there was enough on display to suggest that a change of fortunes might not be too far away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net