Latest news:
Saturday 30 November - 14:30, Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish at West Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

Friday night in Richmond
Discussion started by WPL (IP Logged), 31 October, 2019 12:34
leeds_shark
WPL
31 October, 2019 12:34
Teams up...

Offy team sheet

Yorkshire Carnegie have made three changes to their starting line-up for this Friday’s trip to London Scottish in the Greene King IPA Championship, kick off 7.45pm.

Tim Bitirim has been ruled out with a knee injury, so Joe Carlisle moves to full back and Dan Lancaster returns at centre. Andy Lawson, who came on from the bench last week will start on the wing, in place of Joel Matavesi, who came in on loan last week from Newcastle.

Last week’s Man of the Match, Callum Bustin, is also unavailable with a hamstring injury so Trystan Lloyd will make his second start of the season and Thom Smith, who is on loan from Leicester, moves to number 8, in his fourth start of the season.

On the bench, the club have brought in two new loan signings from Worcester. Tighthead prop Joe Morris, who has been part of the Worcester Academy since 2016, has made four appearances for England U20 and made his senior debut in the Premiership Cup this month against Exeter.

Kai Owen, is another player with England U20 experience. The prop returned to Worcester, having started in their Junior Academy and made his debut in the young Warriors side that stunned Stade Francais in the European Challenge Cup.

The squad in full is:

15. Joe Carlise
14. Andy Lawson
13. Ryan Shaw
12. Dan Lancaster
11. Tom Varndell
10. Joe Ford (cc)
9. Jamie Elliot
1. James Flynn
2. Ben Sowrey (cc)
3. Sione Faletau
4. Jake Brady
5. Alex Humfrey
6. Trystan Lloyd
7. James Seabrook
8. Thom Smith

16. Louis Musetti
17. Joe Morris
18. Kai Owen
19. Henri Lavin
20. Taylor Gough
21. Will Findlay
22. Lee Smith
23. Jordan Howden

So it looks as though my article is a jinx with 2 of the players out.

Couple of new loan signings (I suspect loan means short term!) But a bit of consistency I suppose elsewhere in the team. It looks a very mobile back row.

Shaw at center is an interesting one, it's quite a central position for someone learning the game, but it might just work!

Safe trip to any supporter making their way down there!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
31 October, 2019 12:38
I'm concerned at Shaw in the centres and we'll miss Bitirim.

The title is why I can't go.

JDH1
JDH1
31 October, 2019 15:46
Expect another hammering

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
31 October, 2019 19:12
Based on previous experience, not the best of referee appointments this week, its Neil Chivers!

JDH1
JDH1
31 October, 2019 21:36
They need to get some consistency in the team. Find some solid partnerships otherwise we won't get anywhere.
Agree about Shaw at 13. Dropped in the deep end.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
01 November, 2019 18:43
Good luck to the lads tonight, seems they are going to need it. As they are playing at Richmond's home, I expect a few sarcastic comments if we get thrashed.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
01 November, 2019 20:36
Only 3 - 0 down at halftime though Scottish have missed a few kicks. Looks like our defence is starting to come together - great news!

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge
01 November, 2019 20:42
We have a defence! Come on Carnegie

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
01 November, 2019 20:50
I am not a twitterer (and I use the polite term) but even without registering etc you can follow on the club's twitter feed:

[twitter.com]

We are level at 3 - 3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 20:51 by almostatyke.

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge
01 November, 2019 20:58
Penalty try to Scottish and sin bin for us - we need to dig deep now.

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge
01 November, 2019 21:12
Carnegie Try!

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge
01 November, 2019 21:29
Scottish score 10 25 few mins to go

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
01 November, 2019 21:34
30 - 10 at the end. We let in 27 points in the second half.

Bobba
Bobba
01 November, 2019 22:06
We let in 66 points in our previous game. So, a clear improvement, I think!

Hornchurch
Hornchurch
03 November, 2019 19:07
Hello all

Yeldor and I were at the game on Friday and we really held our own through the first half.

The boys have heart and really want to play for each other.

Second half we had a player sent off and tries followed. A very odd thing happened right in front of us which had us and the London Scottish fans baffled about. The ref gave London Scottish a penality which they kicked into touch. They then had a word with the ref and he allowed them to kick for goal which they missed.

Thoughts for what it is worth from us and London Scottish fans as we had spells of pressure on their line and walked away without any points.

At those stages when we were awared penalties they should have taken the points. A Scottish fan said to us you try the fancy stuff when you have points on the board.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 19:15 by Hornchurch.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
03 November, 2019 19:30
Yeah, as anyone who follows me on Twitter will know I'm a big advocate of taking the points and building a score.

Constantly kicking to the corner all the time is so unprofessional, especially in a tight game.

There are exceptions, for example if the opposition have a man in the sin bin and you think you can make your numerical advantage count BUT, 9 times out of 10 in a tight game you build your score. When I look at the scores and see multiples of 5 or 7 (ie no penalties) it just reminds me of grassroots age group games. You don't see it in the Premiership or at international level.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
03 November, 2019 20:17
Surely Joe knows this and, as an expert kicker a well as coach, manae the game? I am with Leeming 100%.

leeds_shark
WPL
03 November, 2019 20:31
I wonder if the decision to go for the corner was based on the fact we don't have the belief we can win and therefore we should aim for 4 tries...I'm not saying this is my opinion but just a thought.

Again promising reviews coming out, when will we get that W in the results column - I do worry about the Hartpury game now, lose that and we will likely be at least 8 points behind the team above us...that feels like a gap starting to form - not unexpected but hopefully we can turn these performances into something soon!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
03 November, 2019 21:13
Quote:
WPL
I wonder if the decision to go for the corner was based on the fact we don't have the belief we can win and therefore we should aim for 4 tries...I'm not saying this is my opinion but just a thought.

Yep, it's a thought but, to my way of thinking that doesn't make logical sense. Hypothetically, if you don't believe you can win, then what's the point of going for tries?

You might as well instill that professional attitude from the start so that when you do get to the point where you can compete for the win, you've already got that mindset.

If you instill poor habits from the start I'd argue that it will take a lot longer to get to the point where we can win games.

leeds exile
leeds exile
04 November, 2019 12:43
It is hard to get too enthusiastic about another defeat to a team who had also not previously won a championship match but I suppose that is the reality of the situation.

Bobba
Bobba
05 November, 2019 09:28
Logic seems to tell me that you build your score and keep it ticking over. Go for the corner by all means if you are confident in your ability to find the try line following the line out. However it seem to me that they are trying to emulate the opposition who seem to be able to score at will against us. It also suggests to me that Joe Ford has lost confidence in his ability to kick the ball between the uprights. I have not watched a match this season, so any view expressed is based on what has been said here and elsewhere.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net