Latest news:
Saturday 30 November - 14:30, Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish at West Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

In Other (Rugby) News....
Discussion started by leemingtyke (IP Logged), 05 November, 2019 21:28
MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
05 November, 2019 21:28
Two massive rugby stories in the news today:

Sarries fined £5million and docked 35 pts (suspended pending an appeal) for breaching the Prem salary cap

Sonny Bill Williams signs for Toronto Wolfpack in Super League.

JDH1
JDH1
05 November, 2019 21:37
Is the sarries penalty that harsh?

Given they won the league and champions cup with the squad they broken the rules paying? When you look at the quality of the squad it's hardly a surprise they had to bend the rules.... Wolf pack lager anyone?

Then again our dealings at the other of the scale haven't been squeaky clean.

Good pr by Toronto. His best playing days are long gone but to up the profile of the team and the super league, nobody better.

JDH1
JDH1
05 November, 2019 21:53
How many years have they been breaking the salary cap for?

leeds_shark
WPL
05 November, 2019 21:55
I think one of the funniest reads on the rolling maul forum was

Quote:
A cynic might say that the Leeds outcome has something to do with the ongoing Sarries investigation then underway.

Grassy Knoll anyone???

I'm sure that people will know doubt say we should have got more, the difference being we acted in the rules, at the moment (I'm sure it will be challenged so it may change) it has been decided Sarries did not!

We have all asked the question, how can they afford that squad? By the looks of it, its the investment in players businesses.

The thing is, take the money out of it (I wish I could sometimes with rugby!) and I have respect for what they have done on the field, yes they have bought the best players, but they have moulded them into a team that fights for each other, never says never and has time for the fans! I feel sorry for a lot of them, they are good honest rugby people and this will hurt them.

I wonder if there are other clubs looking nervously at the judgement wondering if they are next!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
05 November, 2019 22:33
Quote:
WPL
I think one of the funniest reads on the rolling maul forum was
Quote:
A cynic might say that the Leeds outcome has something to do with the ongoing Sarries investigation then underway.

Grassy Knoll anyone???

They should re-name that forum Burger King (home of the Whopper).

JDH1
JDH1
05 November, 2019 22:46
There is some proper $hite written on that maul forum..

JDH1
JDH1
05 November, 2019 22:53

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
06 November, 2019 07:56
Quote:
JDH1
There is some proper $hite written on that maul forum..

(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
06 November, 2019 08:02
So unsurprisingly Sarries have appealed and can use same players that have been used to win all these comps plus Elliot Daly,

wont be heard till early 2020 so will have probably recouped all those lost points by then (Sm22)

leeds exile
leeds exile
06 November, 2019 11:23
Yes. Any points "earned" during the appeal must be removed if they lose it. Otherwise it is a complete joke and means they are condoning cheating to wipe off the points deduction.

Bobba
Bobba
06 November, 2019 12:36
The so called enquiry into the breaches of the salary cap has been on-going for years. Finally a result. What baffles me is how those conducting the enquiry could not see the wood for the trees for soooo long.

Rawdon ranter
Rawdon ranter
06 November, 2019 17:58
sarries will no doubt have been drawn to the attention of HMRC.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
06 November, 2019 21:08
Not a fan of RL but I have to say that their "no_nonsense" approach to their Salary Cap is vastly superior to the "go with the flow...." RU approach.

IMHO the RFU are frightened that Saracens might turn the tap off the flow of their England players.

Bobba
Bobba
07 November, 2019 15:39
The Sarries fine of £5.360.272.31p takes account of the last three years of the Premiership. There are calls for Sarries to be stripped of the last two titles on the basis that they have allegedly cheated. There are also calls for them to be removed from the Premiership and into the Championship for three seasons. Should that happen, I wonder how many of the 26 internationals currently on their books would wish to remain at the Club. Not many I suspect.

There is an interesting podcast on BBC Sounds on the Sarries with one of our own Danny Care expressing his views on the situation.

Breaching the salary cap is not new. It exists in RL also. Our hosts at Headingley were recently fined for their breach, or as GH described it a "administrative error".

Not the first nor is it likely to be the last.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net