Latest news:
Saturday 30 November - 14:30, Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish at West Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

Carnegie name team for Ealing clash
Discussion started by almostatyke (IP Logged), 08 November, 2019 13:22
MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 November, 2019 13:22
Yorkshire Carnegie’s Director of Rugby, Martyn Wood and Head Coach, Joe Ford have made eight changes for their team’s home game against Ealing Trailfinders this Sunday 10th November, kick off 3pm.
In the backs there has been a reshuffle with Joe Carlise moving to fly-half and Jordan Howden coming in for his first start at full back. Joel Matavesi returns on loan from Newcastle Falcons for Tom Varndell and Elliot Turner will also make his first start at scrum half.
The rest of the changes come in the forwards. Trystan Lloyd will captain the team for the first time and Conor Davidson, Louis Musetti, Ed Bloodworth and Taylor Gough all return to the starting line-up for the first time since the RFU Championship Cup.
George Hammond is also named in the starting team after joining the club on loan from Harlequins. The second rower has played for England U18s and joined the Quins Academy in 2018 after being part of their Elite Player Development Group.

15. Jordan Howden
14. Ryan Shaw
13. Joel Matavesi
12. Dan Lancaster
11. Andrew Lawson
10. Joe Carlisle
9. Elliot Turner
1. Conor Davidson
2. Louis Musetti
3. Sione Faletau
4. George Hammond
5. Ed Bloodworth
6. Trystan Lloyd (c)
7. Taylor Gough
8. Thom Smith

16. Ben Sowrey
17. Alex Reid
18. Gareth Smith
19. Alex Humfrey
20. Henri Lavin
21. Jake Brady
22. Joe Green
23. James Robins

leeds_shark
WPL
08 November, 2019 13:56
Without knowing injury circumstances, does this suggest a match to rest a few players as we were (more) unlikely to win?

JDH1
JDH1
08 November, 2019 16:58
The Ealing teams looks good. Joseph and niko the best pair or wingers barring the falcons in the league?

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge
08 November, 2019 20:18
Slightly worried about Sunday, no Joe Ford or Varndell and Bitrim and Bustin must still be injured and some new names to get to know but trying to be positive.

JDH1
JDH1
08 November, 2019 22:18
I hope we play well but I can see 50+ conceded

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
09 November, 2019 13:42
Can't helping thinking we're going to get hammered.

Are players being saved for next week? Though Hartpury walloped Scottish last night.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
09 November, 2019 20:09
According to Twitter Tom Varndell is on a tour round grounds for Elite Player Management looking at player welfare. I guess that's his proper job which allows him to play part-time.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
09 November, 2019 20:10
Cannot see how this team is worth £15 to watch. Sorry.

JDH1
JDH1
09 November, 2019 21:26
For those in the know, is there a fans meeting planned at all anytime soon?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
10 November, 2019 16:59
Final score 13 - 66 according to the club twitter feed.

Did anyone listen to commentary on Live Sports FM?

I wasn't brave enough.

JDH1
JDH1
10 November, 2019 17:45
The starting pack did very well for a time. Lloyd was outstanding. The 9 and Lancaster too. But Ealings power told and they could score at will if they didn't make a mistake second half.

The effort is there but we are so far off the pace especially in the last 20 when you need more off the bench.

We won't win a game this year if they don't get more quality in.

Will be interested to hear what the coaching team say.

leeds exile
leeds exile
10 November, 2019 17:52
I have just returned from the game and frankly I can see no positives from today. I saw the Coventry match and thought that there were encouraging signs. They often looked dangerous and earned the four tries but today the only try was a gift interception by Shaw and they never seriously threatened the Ealing line. I thought Ealing were quite ordinary and made an astonishing number of unforced errors in the first half which made the score quite close at that point. In the second half they seemed to sort that out and scored at will. YC became more disorganised as the game went on. It is getting colder on and off the field. By the way I would estimate the crowd around 450. A few Ealing fans made their presence known.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
10 November, 2019 18:37
In a "Reasons to be cheerful, Part 2" mode I hope we were keeping some powder dry for next week, as this was never a winnable fixture.

Yorki
Yorki
10 November, 2019 19:05
Men against boys today.

I would not be surprised if one of the younger players gets hospitalised this season.

The club needs to find some money quickly and buy some senior players.

I saw one of the clubs benefactors leaving the stand shacking his head.

On a positive note the North Stand is a great facility.

Farmertyke1
Farmertyke1
10 November, 2019 19:06
A very fair assessment sadly from both JDH and Exile.
A win looks a long way away. Spirit and intent are there for all to see but the part time aspect of the team is the problem. The line out continues to be a problem and we leak too many tries.

JDH1
JDH1
10 November, 2019 20:00
Some of these young guys would be even better with some quality senior guys around them.

Something needs to change and fast. We cannot keep getting 50-60 plus past us every week. Can we get more loans when rwc guys are back at there clubs?

MESSAGES->author
SideStep
10 November, 2019 20:52
Well the relegation tour rolls on!
Years of mismanagement taking its toll.

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

JDH1
JDH1
10 November, 2019 21:25
Just listened the woods post match and I hope he doesn't believe what he is saying. Yes the lads are putting it in and the effort is immense but that group without another 6+ senior proper championship players that play every week ain't gonna stay up.

Not taking away from the lads putting the Jersey on but as a long standing fan I find current watching pretty painful tbh.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
10 November, 2019 21:40
Is the coaching up to scratch?

Or is training two nights insufficient for any coach to get results?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2019 21:45 by almostatyke.

JDH1
JDH1
10 November, 2019 22:07
Imo it's not just one thing. The whole things a mess. Putting a whole squad together part time just ain't going get going quick enough, especially when there's a big mix of experience in there.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
10 November, 2019 23:07
I think that the results were seeing can't be a surprise to anyone.

This time last season we had a full-time squad of Championship experienced players and a very experienced Head Coach and a full pre-season behind them ........ and we were still adrift at the bottom of the league.

So we were never going to be competitive with a part time team of inexperienced players, no pre-season and an inexperienced head coach.

Even if money is found and experienced players are brought in, I don't think we can turn it around with Joe still learning his trade and training only 2 nights a week.

As I said in a previous post, the Championship has improved in the last year and a half. Teams like Pirates, Coventry, and Jersey have kicked on whilst we have gone backwards.

Realistically, imho I really think we're as good as relegated and that was always going to be the case this season.

Sorry.

leeds_shark
WPL
11 November, 2019 07:56
I'm going to try and strike a fine balance here between being optimistic/realistic and not part of the miserarti..

I think realistically we were always going to be massive odds on favorites for relegation this season, I said on on article the only way I could see us staying up was if the premiership happened to be ring fenced with 13 clubs in it - as they can't change the regulation midseason (though if Leicester stay down there whether that still holds true or not time will tell) it's not going to happen.

I said what would I be happy with is a team putting in a shift each week, have I got that yes. I'm frustrated at some of the big scores that are coming in, but look at yesterday (I couldn't make it unfortunately). Up until 70 mins we had a respectable score against on paper one of the best teams in the division - whilst a game is played over 80 minutes and the final score is the final score then if that sort of points distribution doesn't highlight the fully professional vs Part time then I'm not sure anything can.

Are we going to go down? As it stands at the moment you would have to say most likely, yes we were in this position last year, however (and I hesitate to say this) found money (at least for the end of last season) and were able to invest in players who dug us out of it. Is that going to happen this year...probably not and even if it did we train 2 nights a week.

I think Leeming is right the championship has improved this year, Ampthill have come up and are strong, look at the 2 teams directly above us in the table, who would have thought that...Newcastle whilst winning all 5 games only have 2BP again that highlights how close it is.

JDH - to your point about getting loan players in, I hate to say it, but would you send your players to us at the moment? I would probably be reluctant? Shame we can't get someone with money in, there might be a few sarries players suddenly becoming available soon (Sm100)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net