Latest news:
Saturday 14 December - 14:00, Yorkshire Carnegie v Nottingham at West Park
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

This weekend....
Discussion started by Wildwillie (IP Logged), 16 November, 2019 09:01
MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
16 November, 2019 09:01
Our nearest rivals at the foot of the table both have tough fixtures this weekend. Donny are at home to Ealing. Bedford visit Nottingham. Here is an opportunity to close the 7 point gap. All we have to do is win at Hartpury!

(Sm134)

Feeding
Feeding
16 November, 2019 09:06
Scottish 25 v 24 Pirates ,doesn't help.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
16 November, 2019 16:29
Ha ha. We're doooomed!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Scuffer
Scuffer
16 November, 2019 16:32
Stuffed again. We’re not getting any better. A bit like pre-Christmas last season except we’re worse. We need a miracle or a money man sharpish.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
16 November, 2019 16:34
45-12 does not help our cause. Scottish at home coming up next.

(Sm112)

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
16 November, 2019 16:35
Quote:
Scuffer
Stuffed again. We’re not getting any better. A bit like pre-Christmas last season except we’re worse. We need a miracle or a money man sharpish.

Well it is coming to the time of year when miracles do happen. (Sm134)

JDH1
JDH1
16 November, 2019 18:43
Time for the club to make a decision. Either carry on getting stuffed every week or get some championship players in.
If they thought this squad was going to survive they were very wrong. Its a mile from being competitive and that's not going to change with the calibre of the squad no matter how much effort is put in.
What's happening doesn't surprise me with what's gone on by its tough to take.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
16 November, 2019 20:15
JDH nail hit on head.
Last season our "cavalry" was being recruited right from the start of the season - they mostly had to finish the Curry Cup NZ competition so their arrival was delayed.
Even with a megabucks input at this stage it is difficult to see where reinforcements of sufficient calibre would be sourced.
I hope I am wrong.

JDH1
JDH1
16 November, 2019 20:58
My guess would be loans from prem clubs but that's not a team I would be proud to support.

The whole club, if it hadn't already, has turned into a joke.

I wore my tykes shirt with pride once upon a time. I am glad I saw some of the good times.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
16 November, 2019 23:10
It's the death of the club in 22 installments and it's bloody excruciating.

Nosnibor
Nosnibor
16 November, 2019 23:27
Thanks for all the match reports and first hand comments on the games.

I'm normally champing at the bit to go to the rugby again as summer draws to a close, but this year I haven't been motivated to go even once. I don't really feel that this is my team. Tristan LLoyd is the only remnant from last year's squad and he wasn't close to first choice then.

I have no connection with this group of players. (I know you can say I might if I'd been to any games! It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation). I'm more inclined to go to Donny where they have five or so players that I've watched over the years for YC and feel invested in. Not only that. I'm more likely to see a competitive game for my £15.

I've followed every game on twitter and watched the 'highlights' and I can't see how things will improve significantly. The other teams are simply a class above. Effort alone won't keep us in the Championship. No blame on the players. They're just not of Championship standard.

The shenanigans over the last year have left a bit of a sour taste. It saddens me to think that, after nearly 20 years following the club in good times and bad, that I might just be done with it. Judging by the sparse nature of the crowd I may not be alone.

leeds exile
leeds exile
17 November, 2019 11:14
There are now three low key cup matches coming up leading to the crunch match v Doncaster just before Christmas. Lose that and it really will look grim.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
17 November, 2019 19:30
In the circumstances which Carnegie have found themselves these are not low key cup matches. If this were a normal season it would be a chance for us to see the kids/fringe players in action but, this is all we have got, therefore its further opportunity, potentially against weaker teams, to find some kind of performance which can be built upon when league fixtures recommence.

JDH1
JDH1
17 November, 2019 20:41
We need extra quality who can play every week. -197 points difference after 6 games.

RedcarTyke
RedcarTyke
18 November, 2019 13:41
Quote:
Nosnibor
I'm normally champing at the bit to go to the rugby again as summer draws to a close, but this year I haven't been motivated to go even once. I don't really feel that this is my team. Tristan LLoyd is the only remnant from last year's squad and he wasn't close to first choice then.

I have no connection with this group of players. (I know you can say I might if I'd been to any games! It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation). I'm more inclined to go to Donny where they have five or so players that I've watched over the years for YC and feel invested in. Not only that. I'm more likely to see a competitive game for my £15.

I've followed every game on twitter and watched the 'highlights' and I can't see how things will improve significantly. The other teams are simply a class above. Effort alone won't keep us in the Championship. No blame on the players. They're just not of Championship standard.

The shenanigans over the last year have left a bit of a sour taste. It saddens me to think that, after nearly 20 years following the club in good times and bad, that I might just be done with it. Judging by the sparse nature of the crowd I may not be alone.

I can only fully agree with this post, I was a season ticket holder up until and including last season, been a fan since 2003 saw the good times - powergen cup win Heinken cup matches and the premiership years. The club used to sell a club handbook each season (although not for a while now) I have several of these handbooks and when you look through them and see the players we have had it make you realise how far we fallen. The complete clear out of team , coaching staff & directors ( although the directors going was good thing) from last season means the only connection is Headingley. As Nosnibor says we may not be alone in feeling like this.

JDH1
JDH1
18 November, 2019 13:44
Yes its a very good point. I am shading towards this too.

MESSAGES->author
SideStep
19 November, 2019 11:42
Quote:
RedcarTyke
Quote:
Nosnibor

I can only fully agree with this post, I was a season ticket holder up until and including last season, been a fan since 2003 saw the good times - powergen cup win Heinken cup matches and the premiership years. The club used to sell a club handbook each season (although not for a while now) I have several of these handbooks and when you look through them and see the players we have had it make you realise how far we fallen. The complete clear out of team , coaching staff & directors ( although the directors going was good thing) from last season means the only connection is Headingley. As Nosnibor says we may not be alone in feeling like this.

Both terrific points made well.

I made it clear earlier this year this was my stand.

I wont go waste my money on a heartless club that has sold its fans and former players down the river.

Some people seem to have their heads in the sand.

It would be lovely if Carnegie could sort it out but I personally will wait until the club drops a couple divisions moves to a smaller stadium and starts again from the grass roots. It's the only way forward.

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
19 November, 2019 12:41
It will never happen, I fear. if we're down, we're out.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
19 November, 2019 19:24
Quote:
Albert Fishwick

Our "rescue" has at least maintained the fixture lists for this season, and we have a bank guarantee in place so no doubt we will see the season out. But I agree with Albert, relegation and the loss of the £600k rfu money means we will probably fold.

Does Yorkshire need another Nat 1 side? Probably time for the other teams to step up?

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
19 November, 2019 19:52
Quote:
almostatyke
Quote:
Albert Fishwick

Our "rescue" has at least maintained the fixture lists for this season, and we have a bank guarantee in place so no doubt we will see the season out. But I agree with Albert, relegation and the loss of the £600k rfu money means we will probably fold.

Does Yorkshire need another Nat 1 side? Probably time for the other teams to step up?

I agree,

when we go down i think that's us done due the lack of money, hence my previous post on this thread.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
19 November, 2019 19:58
I made a comment on Twitter recently in response to a Tigers supporter who was stating that 'when she bought her season ticket in 1991, no one told her that wins were guaranteed. ' This was in response to the doom-mongers who were berating Tigers efforts so far this season. She went on to say that she invested in a club she loved knowing that sometimes they'll win and others they won't and that it was this simple for her.

Although the exact circumstances do not match, there is an element of relevance in this for me as a Carnegie supporter and I for one am disheartened at posts on this message board from "deserting" supporters. Perhaps my feelings stem from supporting a team in rugby league, as I grew up, who rarely scaled the heights of regular success and were always considered an unfashionable team.

You choose a team to support for a variety of reasons but not to guarantee automatic success! I say this even though I was mightily unhappy at last seasons shenanigans.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
20 November, 2019 20:51
Hi BL great to see your loyalty showing through. But...…… for me the lack of communication has been a big factor. As a Fans' Forum member you have probably been told more than us mere paying punters have been told, but we know you have a confidentiality agreement muting you.
We understand that we have a very difficult task and would like to support the club in its uphill struggle but when there is a "radio silence" IMHO it alienates supporters, ex-supporters and potential supporters.
It is backs to the wall, let's get everyone on board and have a last go at survival, for me. Can the leopard change its spots and communicate in an open and honest way - that is our only chance.

A few quality players and a defence coach would also help...…

[EDIT] Hi Ian, did not know the circumstances of the former Fans' Forum/Supporters' Board when I posted this.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/11/2019 21:27 by almostatyke.

leeds exile
leeds exile
28 November, 2019 15:24
I know the club website shows that attendance at matches is zero but they seem to be going out of their way to make that actually happen. The first team are playing London Scottish at West Park on Saturday in the cup but there is absolutely nothing on the official site so far only two days out. Pravda in their heyday would have been proud of this lack of information.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
28 November, 2019 18:35
Quote:
leeds exile
I know the club website shows that attendance at matches is zero but they seem to be going out of their way to make that actually happen. The first team are playing London Scottish at West Park on Saturday in the cup but there is absolutely nothing on the official site so far only two days out. Pravda in their heyday would have been proud of this lack of information.

Yep. (Sm124)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net