Latest news:

3 debutants for Saturday
Discussion started by Wildwillie (IP Logged), 29 November, 2019 13:07
MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
29 November, 2019 13:07
The team to play the Exiles at Bramhope includes 3 debutants, 2 of whom came from our not-academy, the third being a NEW signing!

(Sm60)

JDH1
JDH1
29 November, 2019 19:40
Exiles putting out a strong team.

A few changes for us. Wonder if we are in a position to name a settled team?

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge
29 November, 2019 20:23
Not looking like it - feels a bit underwhelming

JDH1
JDH1
29 November, 2019 22:21
Agreed. I cannot see us putting anything together unless the same match day 23 get a prolonged run.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
30 November, 2019 07:50
Players seem to come & go. Injuries take their toll when you only have a small squad. I wonder if we are resting some of our key players (ie treating the cup as a break from the main event)

(Sm163)

leeds exile
leeds exile
30 November, 2019 08:01
It was suggested that some "key" players were rested for the Ealing game in order to concentrate on Hartbury. Well if so that plan did not work. I do not actually think there are any "key" players. They are all much alike and well out of their depth at this level. I am coming to the impression that it would have been better had YC been relegated two divisions at the start of the season. Then they might have been able to rebuild quietly. I think the Saracens case complicated that decision so there was a reprieve of sorts but the end result is looking the same.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
30 November, 2019 09:39
It's to be hoped they have had the pitch covered or we might be on the plastic one.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
30 November, 2019 15:27
Half time score at Bramhope is 0-29

(Sm124)

JDH1
JDH1
30 November, 2019 16:39
No doubt the boys are trying but we just couldnt keep the ball. Line out didn't function except near the end of the game and the scrum was mainly on the back foot.

Some good showings. The replacement 9 looked sharp.

Lee Smith looks 1 1/2 stone overweight! He must get in shape if he is to play championship rugby. Really Poor imo.

Wood looked a frustrated man.

Average age of that team?

No sure what to say really....

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
30 November, 2019 19:43
I suppose the final score is irrelevant. Just like this season.

JDH1
JDH1
30 November, 2019 20:16
We are nowhere near.

JDH1
JDH1
30 November, 2019 20:46
Just looking through twitter. 6 to 7 lads under 20 on today. You cannot fault the commitment and effort.

Difficult situation for all really, players coaches fans. If this is our squad then I would rather watch them down a couple of leagues at West Park than getting 50+ past them each week.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
01 December, 2019 13:09
Could be wrong (usually am), but I thiink the problem is that we're pretty much entirely dependent on the money we get from the RFU for being in the Championship. So when we get relegated we're done.

Don't think we can play a couple of leagues down.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
01 December, 2019 13:34
Quote:
leemingtyke
Could be wrong (usually am), but I thiink the problem is that we're pretty much entirely dependent on the money we get from the RFU for being in the Championship. So when we get relegated we're done.
Don't think we can play a couple of leagues down.

(Sm18)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
01 December, 2019 15:24
At the end of this season the only asset that we will have is a place in Nat 1. This might be of use to a team in, say, Nat 2 North who miss out on promotion. Looking at Yorkshire Nat 2 N teams, we could possibly "merge" with Sheff Tigers, Otley, Wharfedale Huddersfield or Hull?

(Sm100)

JDH1
JDH1
01 December, 2019 19:49
Not sure what we bring to a merger...

It's was always a tough ask but we just haven't been able to bring in enough quality or have enough time or consistency to gel.

I wouldn't mind an open meeting Christmas/ Jan to see what the club think. Those in the forum - could this happen?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
01 December, 2019 20:00
Quote:
JDH1
It's was always a tough ask but we just haven't been able to bring in enough quality or have enough time or consistency to gel.

I wouldn't mind an open meeting Christmas/ Jan to see what the club think. Those in the forum - could this happen?

It would be great if it did happen, but, let's face it, it would be against the run of play.

Backs to the wall is one thing, backs to the wall but not admitting it or not communicating is inexcusable IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
01 December, 2019 20:19
Quote:
JDH1
Not sure what we bring to a merger..

And there it is - the root of our current predicament imho

We have nothing to bring to the table as far as I can see. That's why no-one will put any serious money into us, there's no assets, nothing to invest in.

They'd essentially be just giving us money.

And looking at our record over the last 10 or so years, who in their right mind would entrust their hard-earned to us!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
01 December, 2019 20:40
I repeat "our only asset will be a place in Nat1"

To a team aspiring but unable this season to achieve promotion to Nat 1, and with ongoing resources, a "merger", if approved by the rfu, would be a short-cut to promotion.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
01 December, 2019 20:49
Yeah I heard you Almo but if another club did fancy fast-tracking to Nat 1 they'd have to already have a squad capable of sustaining that level, because otherwise it would be straight back down.

We couldn't contribute anything towards the effort to maintain that position.

JDH1
JDH1
01 December, 2019 23:11
We wouldnt survive in nat 1 at the moment!

I think an open honest meeting with all is the only way forward imo. Let's hope it happens.

Wensleydale Falcon
Wensleydale Falcon
02 December, 2019 17:05
It is an absolute shame and disgrace the predicament that you folks find your club in at present.
I attended the lunch with Wayne Barnes at Headingley a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by the facilities there now. The quality of the pitch, ground and all the hospitality is fitting of a Premiership club.
Those responsible for the demise should hang their heads in shame!!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
02 December, 2019 18:16
It seems that our major problem, on the pitch, is defence. However two of our players (Lancaster and Ford, who is player/coach) have Dads who are amongst the best defensive coaches in European rugby. Wonder what they say when they have the father-son after game chat?

Or are our general standards simply not up to scratch? I know that when training defence you need high quality players to practice against: it just does not work when the players you are trying to tackle on match day are much better than those you have trained against during the week.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
02 December, 2019 20:17
Quote:
JDH1

See message on Supporters Board thread which confirms that Forum no longer exists!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
02 December, 2019 21:42
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
It is an absolute shame and disgrace the predicament that you folks find your club in at present.
I attended the lunch with Wayne Barnes at Headingley a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by the facilities there now. The quality of the pitch, ground and all the hospitality is fitting of a Premiership club.
Those responsible for the demise should hang their heads in shame!!

I was convinced we wouldn't be here this season mate, think I might have said as much to you back in the summer.

Completely agree though.

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge
03 December, 2019 07:48
We have made The Times today -“The Worse Rugby Club in England “ oh dear.

Basshunter
Basshunter
03 December, 2019 08:30
Have you seen Leicester defending this season! I haven’t, 😳

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
03 December, 2019 08:50
Quote:
TykeGeorge
We have made The Times today -“The Worse Rugby Club in England “ oh dear.

(Sm61)(Sm60)

oopnorth
oopnorth
03 December, 2019 08:54
Looked at Times Online. Not paying a subscription to read it, first paragraph suggests it is not about our poor results but wider issues. Presume no one can post a link, so what is the jist of this unhelpful piece about a championship club.

leeds_shark
WPL
03 December, 2019 09:45
Having been sent a copy of the article I can summarise it as...

- Rehasing of some of the players tweets
- telling the story we all know about and have heard several times
- it does mention the players only got paid 11p in the £ but no substantiation on that

The last paragraph is quite telling the twitter researcher journalist was written by a Richmond fan... I suspect it has been written for a while and sat there until needed

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
03 December, 2019 13:06
I thought that the bayoneting of the wounded had finished, but clearly not.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
03 December, 2019 15:55
There's nowt in that article that hasn't been common knowledge for weeks to anyone with a passing interest.

There's no doubt in my mind that the club has been shockingly badly managed over the last few years and that that is why we find ourselves where we currently are, but I will say this:

The article suggests that last year's players were misled by the club with regard to the CVA.

I feel really sorry for last year's players for how they were treated by Yorkshire Carnegie, it was disgraceful BUT if the players didn't get independent legal advice on the CVA that really is down to them, not the club.

JDH1
JDH1
03 December, 2019 15:55
Boring old news by the look of it.

JDH1
JDH1
04 December, 2019 22:45
Nice little clip of the Lee Smith intercept on twitter.

I think he could be a real asset but imo he isn't anywhere near in shape to play this level of rugby.

What did others think who went to the game?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net