Latest news:
Sunday 19 January - 15:00, Yorkshire Carnegie v Newcastle Falcons at Emerald Carnegie
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

Elsewhere.
Discussion started by Feeding (IP Logged), 08 December, 2019 09:03
Feeding
Feeding
08 December, 2019 09:03
Clearly we have major problems but looking at the various senior leagues,Yorkshires other teams also have their difficulties.

Inthe Championship,Doncasterare only just above us,whilst surprisingly in Nat 1 Rotherham and Hull Ionians are both in the bottom 3.

In Nat 2 North,Otley,Hull,Wharefedale and Huddersfield are all in the bottom half,whilst even in Northern Premiership,Ilkley are tailed off,albeit that Harrogate currently lie third.

Lower down the leagues(levels 6/8) Yorks rugby appearsquite strong at first team level,but even there,many well known clubs who used to regularly field four sides now struggle to put out a second team on many weekends - usually when they have to travel.

Is it all down to money?

leeds exile
leeds exile
08 December, 2019 11:27
I am staggered that Otley are investing in a new stadium and leaving Cross Green at the end of the season. They have enjoyed a great advantage playing at such an antiquated venue which must have earned them many points over the years. They do very well to survive as a National level team but it seems unrealistic ambition is driving this move. A brand shiny ground in the Yorkshire leagues seems pointless to me.

JDH1
JDH1
08 December, 2019 14:10
Are the they moving behind the garden centre near Otlensians?

Rawdon ranter
Rawdon ranter
08 December, 2019 17:19
Yes they’re moving, but when. My understanding was that they would be moving for the 2021/22 season. I presume McCarthy and Stone’s plans for redeveloping Cross Green will have commencement dates (Jan2021?) and demolition and groundworks contracts could leave Otley without a home.
I hope Otley have been working hard since their membership gave such enthusiastic backing in July 2018.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 December, 2019 18:43
Surprised Donny are not a bit higher. Surely they are at least mid-table quality with players formerly of this parish, such as:
Marc Thomas, Steve McColl, Curtis Wilson, Olly Stedman, Matt Smith, Pistol Pete Lucock and Andrew Foster?

Billy ba
Billy ba
08 December, 2019 19:15
Aren't they mostly the same players who got us to the bottom of the table this time last year.

MESSAGES->author
Geoff DC
08 December, 2019 19:39
Quote:
Rawdon ranter
I presume McCarthy and Stone’s plans for redeveloping Cross Green will have commencement dates.

So Otley is earmarked for Retirement homes - if it was a bit warmer wouldn't mind it myself (Sm156)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
08 December, 2019 20:30
It is a bit of a rugby cliché - sell the family silver (i.e. the ground) for what you think is a fortune, normally to a housing developer, then go to a new out-of-town ground with great facilities but no local connection. And probably limited or non-existence public transport.
Can anyone tell me where this move has been successful in the long term?
Hopefully Otley will fully realise the value of their ground at Cross Green. I remember Harrogate sold their ground and, just after the ink was dry on the contract, the "developer" sold it on for a massive profit.

MESSAGES->author
Geoff DC
08 December, 2019 21:47
Quote:
almostatyke
It is a bit of a rugby cliché - sell the family silver (i.e. the ground) for what you think is a fortune, normally to a housing developer, then go to a new out-of-town ground with great facilities but no local connection. And probably limited or non-existence public transport.
Can anyone tell me where this move has been successful in the long term?[i][/i]
Hopefully Otley will fully realise the value of their ground at Cross Green. I remember Harrogate sold their ground and, just after the ink was dry on the contract, the "developer" sold it on for a massive profit.

Exter Chiefs ??

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
09 December, 2019 06:42
Good answer Geoff!

(Sm134)

leeds exile
leeds exile
09 December, 2019 07:53
I think the Harrogate model is more likely to be replicated by Otley than Exeter's. Build the ground, take your eye of the playing staff and relegation ensues. It is then a long way back to where you were in the first place. What exactly do Otley think they can achieve?

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
09 December, 2019 08:41
A profit?

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
09 December, 2019 10:36
I don't think Otley's plans are comparable to Harrogate's. They are planning to move a bit further down the road towards Pool, still walkable from the town centre but there are buses too. Their current ground has certainly seen some historic moments (I wasn't hanging from the trees in 79 but did see the North beat Australia there in 1988) but is cramped with little parking and antiquated stands. I don't know their financial situation but if they make a tidy amount from the land sale, assuming it goes ahead, they have a decent chance of making a go of it with the right management.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

leeds exile
leeds exile
09 December, 2019 11:51
I enjoy my visits to Cross Green but apart from when Leeds Carnegie or whatever the name was at the time visited, I have never seen a crowd bigger than 350 there. It seems a mighty big gamble for so few followers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net