Latest news:
Sunday 1 March, KO 15:00, Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish at Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

Today's game
Discussion started by JDH1 (IP Logged), 19 January, 2020 19:44
JDH1
JDH1
19 January, 2020 19:44
Marked improvement I would say. Gave away far less pens and defended pretty well.

Fitness, bench and quality showed in the end but a great effort.

We just don't and cannot keep the ball for long enough periods. Hopefully we can get a few reinforcements dotted around the team and a bench who can add.

But hey I expected 50 past us today. The lads did well.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
19 January, 2020 19:55
Apologies JDH. We must be been writing at the same time

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
19 January, 2020 20:18
Lots of Falcons errors- dare I say Pirates last week were better? Certainly they were more clinical.

Definite steps forward though and although I expect next weekend to be tough the Nottingham game the week after will be a good test of where we are

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
19 January, 2020 19:53
First game of the season for me and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Carnegie performance.

We were far better than I expected us to be. The lads showed real commitment and with a bit more composure could have conceivably led at the break.

Thought Alex Humfrey played really well and I was massively impressed with the defensive tenacity and tackling ability of some of our young backs. We've had some far more experienced and highly paid backs in our recent history who haven't had anything like the desire or tackling ability that a couple of those lads showed today.

Personally I don't think we can avoid the drop but, with Phil at the helm and funding for next season, there is hope for the future.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
19 January, 2020 20:28
By the magic of being a moderator I have managed to merge two threads for the first time ever.

It was my second game of the season and so difficult to really reconcile where we are as I have missed the cricket score matches, but today I was impressed non-the-less. I have rarely seen a team knock-on as much as Falcons, so think we played them in an uninspired mood, but I was impressed by the organisation and bravery of our young team. I guess that if you weighed the two teams we would have been at least 300 kg lighter? Only when 14 boys were playing 15 heavy men did we buckle.
Good to meet up with the faithful fans who thought I had abandoned them???? Thanks for remembering me. (Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
19 January, 2020 20:40
Can someone just confirm the starting lineup as I thought it was different to the one published on Friday.

I don't know many faces yet but I thought it was Dan Lancaster starting at 10. If so, who was at 12?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
19 January, 2020 20:51
I didn't really recognise many of the team, but when I went to speak to Beeston Lion, he was chatting away to one Stuart Lancaster. Come on, BL, if you want to get some accurate rugby info, I'm your man! LOL

(Sm100)

leeds_shark
WPL
20 January, 2020 08:37
I attended the game yesterday with some friends who have not been this season, their view was that they were surprised we had struggled so much - some said they are contemplating coming for the Nottingham game.

Speaking to some Falcon's fans post match they were surprised by our performance as well, though to a supporter they were quick to point out it was their 2nd team...though I then pointed out, they are still pretty much a premiership squad and therefore their 2nd team would do very well in the championship, it took that bit of wind out of their sales.

From our perspective, a lot of positives, the defence looked good, the lineout performed better - I actually thing we niggled Falcons a bit as they started to swing some arms at some points. There is a team spirit there, to concede before a lot had taken their seats and then to take the lead shows some spirit - just a shame we pretty much gave the lead straight back.

Definite improvements, yes if they had put out their 1st team the score could have been a lot different - mind you I've not see a front row as big as theirs in a long time.

How good was it to see a couple of thousand in headingley as well - a lot of Falcons but as mentioned before, some of my friends are coming back to the Nottingham game.

Finally - huge well done to the Supporters Liaison Committee - to raise over a £1k for Rob Burrow is amazing! By all accounts the Falcon fans were pretty generous as well (to be honest a lot wished us well for the future) I look forward to meeting them in the premiership again...one day!!!

leeds_shark
WPL
20 January, 2020 08:54
A question on the team from Sunday (I've lost my team sheet). Does anyone know how many of the players were contracted to the club and how many were DR/Loans?

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
20 January, 2020 10:36
Unsure how many from LBU but Graham and matevesi have been regulars from falcons so unlikely that they wanted them playing yesterday, pretty much our own after that I think?

Was very impressed with Els when he came on Humfrey was the enforcer we have needed for a long time and Lawson impressed me more every game goes looking for work,
I'm not sold on TV at all I'm afraid more involved as centre but still doesn't offer enough as one of big earners

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
20 January, 2020 11:18
Can anyone confirm our starting backs lineup?

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
20 January, 2020 11:32
15. James Robins
14. Andrew Lawson
13. Tom Varndell
12. Joe Carlisle
11. Ryan Shaw
10. Dan Lancaster
9. James Elliott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 11:33 by Gelbel.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
20 January, 2020 11:53
Thanks Gel, the lineup published on Friday said Dan at 12 and Joe at 10. Watching the game, I thought it was Dan at 10 but, not being familiar with the new players, I didn't know who was at 12.

leeds_shark
WPL
20 January, 2020 12:41
Quote:
opuscoitus
Unsure how many from LBU but Graham and matevesi have been regulars from falcons so unlikely that they wanted them playing yesterday, pretty much our own after that I think?

Thanks Opus - to me this bodes well for next year, realistically in the division below but I think we can have a good squad, providing some aren't signed elsewhere. Dan Lancaster for one!

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
20 January, 2020 12:58
Quote:
WPL
Quote:
opuscoitus

Thanks Opus - to me this bodes well for next year, realistically in the division below but I think we can have a good squad, providing some aren't signed elsewhere. Dan Lancaster for one!

Could be wrong but think everyone signed a 12 month deal due to situation we were in......

Would happily resign all but one going forward to next year, budget permitting

leeds_shark
WPL
20 January, 2020 13:17
Hopefully some of the noises from PD's interviews when he started sounded like there is a sustainable plan in place for next year - whether this allows for all the players to re-sign or not I would hope discussions are underway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 15:19 by WPL.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
20 January, 2020 15:16
Resign or resign?? I'd go for re-sign and resign to try and avoid any confusion!

NB for Almost ....... was talking to Stuart L about his Rugby Weekly interview on BBC!

leeds_shark
WPL
20 January, 2020 15:20
Quote:
Beeston Lion
Resign or resign?? I'd go for re-sign and resign to try and avoid any confusion!

Thanks Teacher - updated now

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
20 January, 2020 17:16
Not teaching material I'm afraid!

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
20 January, 2020 18:04
Well I would still re-sign all but one of the backs

Sorry to the grammar police

But as the wise philosopher once said “education is important.......but rugby is importanter “

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
20 January, 2020 19:22
(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
20 January, 2020 20:26
One comment about game on Falcons board concerns their No 8 who was thought to be seen punching an opponent, and they are now waiting to see if a citing ensues.

leeds_shark
WPL
20 January, 2020 20:32
If it’s the one I think it is - I was amazed the touch judge didn’t see it, he was in line with me and I was in line with it....albeit I was high up in the stand so may have seen it.

Given we only have cameras in the south stand difficult to see how it would be caught on video

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
20 January, 2020 20:57
Probably won't have picked up Tom making a tackle either

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
22 January, 2020 18:42
(Sm161)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net