Latest news:

Franchise versus competitive leagues?
Discussion started by almostatyke (IP Logged), 27 January, 2020 20:54
MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
27 January, 2020 20:54
There has been lots of debate, over the years about the relative merits of a promotion/relegation system or a Franchise or "regional" system. It has caused lots of friction in the European Cup (usually sponsored by Heineken in whatever format), because franchise clubs can rest their best players for important games in the knowledge that they are not going to get relegated/will still qualify for next season, despite playing a second-string side in domestic matches.
It is noted that New Zealand adopt a franchise system, and they do not do too badly on the world stage?
As most of the money in rugby is from the International games, a system that gives the national side the greatest advantage must be best? England and France seem to be the only countries that have the non-franchise system; whereas England are on a high the French national team constantly seem to underperform. Even so, in France they have an excellent set of clubs in the Top 14 and the fully professional second division 16 that perform to a similar level and get big crowds.
So are we in a position, which can be related to the round ball game in England, whereby great week by week club experiences are perhaps valued more than international games?
The reason I post this now is.... in England both the Premiership and Championship have, in effect, the fear of relegation removed. So for the rest of this season both divisions will be acting a bit like franchise/regional teams. What do you expect?

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
27 January, 2020 21:27
The last time this happened in the Premiership was when London Welsh imploded and I recall it resulted in some attractive, attacking rugby from the rest of the Prem - especially Newcastle - who were essentially free from relegation worries for a year.

It's a difficult one because if it went regional, and one of the franchise's was in Yorkshire, it would mean guaranteed top class rugby in Yorkshire for the Yorkshire RU community and I genuinely think the stability that creates would see attendances steadily rise.

But of course that would be to close the door on promotion to the top level and might well be the death knell for many famous old clubs with long and proud histories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2020 21:29 by leemingtyke.

leeds exile
leeds exile
28 January, 2020 09:19
I watched the Premiership highlights on C5 last night. The Worcester v Wasps match was a case in point in that with the fear of relegation removed a free flowing game ensued. However I viewed with disinterest as there was no jeopardy. The rest of the Premiership might contain attractive matches but they do not really matter. It is the fear in sport that creates an edge and makes it relevant. Otherwise you just have a series of exhibition matches that are no preparation for Test rugby.

MESSAGES->author
Loosehead
28 January, 2020 10:06
The NRL is the best Rugby Competition in the world, they seem to manage quite well, in a franchised league set up.

leeds exile
leeds exile
28 January, 2020 11:27
I thought we were talking about Union not league.

MESSAGES->author
Loosehead
28 January, 2020 12:01
Quote:
leeds exile
I thought we were talking about Union not league.

It matter not, its Rugby in a closed franchise set that is the best league in either Rugby code.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net