Wildwillie
30 January, 2020 13:02
Four changes from last week:

Offy

(Sm138)

JDH1
JDH1
30 January, 2020 21:18
Big game. Gutted I cannot make it. I love Friday nights games. Especially when we were in the prem.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
31 January, 2020 19:41
Quote:
JDH1
Big game. Gutted I cannot make it. I love Friday nights games. Especially when we were in the prem.

I cannot remember that far back. (Sm24)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
31 January, 2020 21:46
Final score 10 - 62

Look forward to Phil's talk on how we can rebuild from Nat 1, hopefully some cash available.

JDH1
JDH1
31 January, 2020 21:50
Obviously a massive defeat. Any positives?

Billy ba
Billy ba
31 January, 2020 21:53
Worst I've seen this season

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
31 January, 2020 23:02
For the first 20 mins, with ball in hand, I thought we looked the better team.

Unfortunately though some errors in the basics along with some strange decision making took the game away from us, or rather, we took the game away from ourselves.

I didn't think we would win, but I did think it would be closer than that.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
31 January, 2020 23:08
Quote:
leemingtyke
For the first 20 mins, with ball in hand, I thought we looked the better team.
Unfortunately though some errors in the basics along with some strange decision making took the game away from us, or rather, we took the game away from ourselves.

I didn't think we would win, but I did think it would be closer than that.

Sums it up well really

JDH1
JDH1
01 February, 2020 00:30
Oh well. I look forward to hearing the plan for national 1 and the way forward and hopefully up.

Hopefully we can can get a team together to compete next year. My feeling is it needs to be better than this one in most departments.

Feeding
Feeding
01 February, 2020 08:41
League 1 involves 16 clubs,with a very heavy weighting to Clubs south of Birmingham. So lots of travelling,even smaller crowds,require a bigger squad and ofcourse,the loss of funding. We would do well to finish in the top 6 - Rotherham could well be relegated - and cant see games being playedat Headingley.

Time for some honesty I think.

JDH1
JDH1
01 February, 2020 09:01
I hope the money is there to have a crack properly. We need at squad capable of completing in the championship in nat 1 then there isn't a massive overall.

Farmertyke1
Farmertyke1
01 February, 2020 09:25
Yes , the worst performance this season that I have witnessed. The bench was only used at the bitter end because by and large they were vastly inferior to the players already playing.
Very depressing and you rather thought the players thought so too by the final whistle. Our Captain continues to impress but he is a lone figure sadly.

daveyjp
daveyjp
01 February, 2020 09:36
It is difficult to expect much else when you have a team of very young lads training a couple of times a week against a full time squad.

15-20 phases and going nowhere. No options in the backs who were all playing too flat to get any pace to break the line. Defending it was so easy at time Notts were playing with four full backs, so kicking over the top wasn't even an option.

Notts just played rugby. Quick ball from ruck, down the backs who stood deep and took at pace and gave options with dummy runners.

It was summed up by the kick for a lineout which didn't go out, ended up in the Notts dead ball area, one pass and a full length sprint for a try.

Also disappointed YP report says we scored due to a penalty try. The try scorer was announced and the conversion was kicked are two reasons why this wasn't the case.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 13:43 by daveyjp.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
01 February, 2020 12:32
Well that was poor. Seemed to give up after 20 minutes. We've no speedsters and, dare I say, we missed Varndell. Given Nottingham were so called fellow strugglers, it shows how poor we are.

We were planning our ND1 away trips for next season during the last quarter...

leeds_shark
WPL*
01 February, 2020 14:21
Iím normally of the optimistic side of things, but the performance last night was bad.

We didnít look creative and there was some big holes in the defence. It really did look like men against boys.

Iím hoping with a full pre-season to gather a squad and train then we might be competitive for next season, but you have to look at Rotherham and realise itís tough league.

It will be interesting to hear the thoughts of PD on Sunday.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
01 February, 2020 17:06
A very honest interview from Phil on the offy

[youtu.be]

Scuffer
Scuffer
01 February, 2020 17:47
So does anyone know who are the players he speaks about bringing in? Someone said to me last night that there are a few Namibians on the way. Anyone heard anything else?

JDH1
JDH1
01 February, 2020 17:57
We we can afford to bring in now for next year it needs doing. Hit the ground running at least!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
01 February, 2020 19:39
Quote:
leemingtyke
[youtu.be]

Forget the first 95% of the interview - that is Phil supporting his players. The final sentence is "we are just not good enough at the moment".
I am not trying to be negative - quite the reverse. Phil can see the mountain to be climbed (as do our supporters) and is not making unrealistic promises.
I look forward to his meeting before our next home game.

My question to Phil would be: should we just write-off this season - no point in bringing in new players when we have no chance of avoiding relegation, a waste of scarce money. Better to plan for next year in Nat 1?

And to finish on a note of optimism. Surely Phil has only come back here because he knows some sort of cash is going to be available at some point? Otherwise why would he go through the $hit he is having to endure now? It is a long way from the RWC to Nat 1.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
01 February, 2020 23:19
Quote:
almostatyke
Quote:
leemingtyke
[youtu.be]

Forget the first 95% of the interview - that is Phil supporting his players. The final sentence is "we are just not good enough at the moment".
I am not trying to be negative - quite the reverse. Phil can see the mountain to be climbed (as do our supporters) and is not making unrealistic promises.
I look forward to his meeting before our next home game.

My question to Phil would be: should we just write-off this season - no point in bringing in new players when we have no chance of avoiding relegation, a waste of scarce money. Better to plan for next year in Nat 1?

And to finish on a note of optimism. Surely Phil has only come back here because he knows some sort of cash is going to be available at some point? Otherwise why would he go through the $hit he is having to endure now? It is a long way from the RWC to Nat 1.

Regarding writing off the season Almo, I think the key part of what Phil says is that new players will bring experience. There are some very promising young players in our team who would benefit from having one or two experienced heads around them in the second half of the season.

I think Phil will know which players he can take forward and which he can't. He'll be looking at improving the environment for those he can.

Financially what you're suggesting makes total sense but from a rugby perspective, I wonder if Phil will take the view that if the guys who'll be with us in Nat1 next season can start competing in the Champ in the second half of this season, it will build momentum and confidence going into a tough league next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 09:32 by leemingtyke.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
02 February, 2020 18:36
Hi Leeming, no problem with that answer - if that is what Phil will actually say?

Are we sure that the young players we are nurturing will be playing for us next season? (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
02 February, 2020 18:37
In a word mate, no!

bigfecker
bigfecker
03 February, 2020 13:02
Sad to see a club on the slide, based on Friday's performance this side will struggle in Nat 1 next season, they simply can't defend well enough and the set piece is nowhere near good enough. You have half a season and the summer to get a lot better, but all these drubbings will tell mentally with the players.

If you look at Coventry and Ampthill who have come up recently, there is the standard you need to get to. Both have wealthy benefactors, something Leeds don't have. To be honest, I don't think you have got better since the Bedford match (the last one I saw before Friday).

JDH1
JDH1
03 February, 2020 15:40
The highlights are pretty bad watching. Done by the same inside ball off the line out twice and some defending was really poor.

I hope we have a plan cos unfortunately this team will struggle badly in nat 1.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
03 February, 2020 18:58
Quote:
bigfecker
To be honest, I don't think you have got better since the Bedford match (the last one I saw before Friday).

Not really that surprising as we had our only two senior players Messr Ford and Varndell in the first game. Also training a couple of evenings a weeks means that any improvements we do make are overtaken by the teams who train full time.

bigfecker
bigfecker
04 February, 2020 00:01
Quote:
almostatyke
Quote:
bigfecker
To be honest, I don't think you have got better since the Bedford match (the last one I saw before Friday).

Not really that surprising as we had our only two senior players Messr Ford and Varndell in the first game. Also training a couple of evenings a weeks means that any improvements we do make are overtaken by the teams who train full time.

I don't buy that only train a couple times a week stuff, other Championship clubs are in the same boat, not all are full time.

Anyway, Ford didn't play against Bedford and Varndell was on the wing. My point was that the coaching isn't working.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel
04 February, 2020 07:49
Now training 3 x a week plus whatever else they can get in. Some of the guys live 2+ hrs away - so to fit around work is awkward. Remember this squad was only cobbled t together at the end of August

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
04 February, 2020 14:07
I agree with Gel, a bit unkind to suggest that the coaching is inadequate, especially as we had no continuity from last season and negligible pre-season training.
The new Phil Davies regime has only had a short time with this squad, but IMHO the evidence points to the squad lacking experience, confidence, strength and perhaps the personal skills required at Championship level. Plus the mental fatigue caused by being hammered every game.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net