Latest news:
News 20 March,The 2019/20 Greene King IPA Championship season has been cancelled
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

England Back Row
Discussion started by almostatyke (IP Logged), 20 February, 2020 21:44
MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
20 February, 2020 21:44
There is a lot of anticipation for Eddie's selection for the match against Ireland on Sunday. And also controversy about his policy on the back row of the scrum.
We do not seem to have a true number 8. I think that a big guy adds to the weight and stability of the scrum, can carry over the gainline, leaving the 7 or 6 to do the fancy footwork and heroic tackles in defence.
Also are 6 and 8 interchangeable? I know that at Carnegie we used to swap Burrows and Stedman between the two position (in happier days).
If you can remember Stephan Armitage, he was heralded as the England savior as a foraging number 7, but he went to France. Just seen him play; he plays at 8 at the start of the match, then when there is a defensive scrum he switches to openside.
So is there a trick here? Switch the back row depending on whether it is an offensive or defensive scrum?
Anyone any thoughts on this?

JDH1
JDH1
21 February, 2020 18:46
Battles on against the Irish back row

leeds exile
leeds exile
23 February, 2020 10:37
Dombrandt of Harlequins would seem the obvious selection but Eddie knows differently.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
23 February, 2020 17:47
However bemusing Eddie's selection of players out-of-position was, he certainly got a brilliant performance today from every member of the squad.
I think that starting the 6Nations with two away games was bound to affect our chances, if we had started at Twickers - who knows?

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
23 February, 2020 18:50
It was disappointing that we didn't really kick on after that start. Several tries went begging. Still, a win's a win.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
23 February, 2020 19:01
Its the most open 6Nations for a while - England/Ireland/Wales/France could all beat each other on the day, especially with a couple of kind ref decisions at vital times.
France are seen as favourites and the "surprise package", but they started with two home games and have Shaun Edwards. Another factor, something I have not seen others mention, is that France effectively surrendered the RWC and so have a team without the emotional baggage that the RWC has (unless you win it?) and have continuity of players into the 6Nations. Other nations have the inevitable retirements of senior players after a RWC year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net