Latest news:

River v Deep Blue Sea!!
Discussion started by Beeston Lion (IP Logged), 14 March, 2020 20:58
MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
14 March, 2020 20:58
As we enter this uncertain time regarding the scaling of large events etc and the wondering if different sports come into the equation, there comes the additional question what happens if a full seasons programme cannot be completed?

In Leeds we have the situation where two different outcomes are required to suit local teams. Fortunately the Rhinos are out of this at the moment as their season has only just started and is scheduled to run through till October (dependent on play-off involvement) although how long this continues we don't know.
Leeds United are sat at the top of the Championship at the moment and they and their supporters would welcome the decision from the authorities to be "call the current positions the final league placings for the season" in which case United would be elevated to the Premier League as Champions! But ÖÖ.. over at Emerald Headingley we have a very different situation which means
the faithful few (Ultra's and Others) would like the rugby powers that be to declare that the season is void and status quo applies next season, whenever that may be.

Thoughts of the rugby cognoscenti !!!

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
14 March, 2020 21:19
I'm on the side of we should go down, albiet mathematically possible we could stay up we are currently using funding to survive, funding which will half so will only make us worse in championship,

If PD has a plan it probably didn't involve staying up huge rebuilding job needed and staying in champ probably not part of that realistically

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
14 March, 2020 21:23
Uncharted waters BL, heaven knows what will happen.

But perhaps sport is just a sideshow that has to be jettisoned at the moment.

Sadly I can take self-isolation (if it comes to that) - but with no live sports to watch? sad smiley

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
14 March, 2020 21:29
The #girlsontour discussed this at length today. Morally I agree we should go down - although technically not relegated yet it is the most likely outcome.

BUT whatever strategy is deployed has to be consistent across the leagues. Other leagues are not as clear cut as the Championship.

How would you decide who came up from Nat 2 North and South for example - when it is 3 teams from 2 leagues?

Glad Iím not tasked with sorting it out. Thatís a job for the RFU.......

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
14 March, 2020 21:33
I think there are more important issues to sort at present, these will be "good problems to have" in due course IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
14 March, 2020 22:20
For the record, if the season did end prematurely, I think we should go down; but I don't think it will come to that. I think the season will get finished.

If it did come to it, I completely agree with Carnegiette that whatever decision is taken has to be consistent.

All I'd add is that you do just wonder if it could be seen as an ideal opportunity to ring-fence a 13 team premiership?

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
15 March, 2020 08:22
Quote:
almostatyke
Uncharted waters BL, heaven knows what will happen.
But perhaps sport is just a sideshow that has to be jettisoned at the moment.

Sadly I can take self-isolation (if it comes to that) - but with no live sports to watch? sad smiley

There is a lot of truth in sport just being a sideshow. In the context of a global pandemic with (potentially) thousands of people dying does it really matter?

But completely agree with the no live sports to watch - I mean the BBC replaced Match of the Day with Mrs Browns Boys........

One of the reasons the #girlsontour rerouted to Ampthill was we both think that might be the last rugby we see this season ........

leeds_shark
WPL
15 March, 2020 14:05
Quote:
leemingtyke
For the record, if the season did end prematurely, I think we should go down; but I don't think it will come to that. I think the season will get finished.
If it did come to it, I completely agree with Carnegiette that whatever decision is taken has to be consistent.

All I'd add is that you do just wonder if it could be seen as an ideal opportunity to ring-fence a 13 team premiership?

I donít think they can with all what they have said about sarries

leeds_shark
WPL
16 March, 2020 08:09
I was thinking about this a bit more, it's a tricky dilemma, in all possible solutions I have come up with their is going to be winners and losers.

Firstly I think we should be relegated, both from a we are so far adrift but also from a whilst it's not going to be easy, a year or two of rebuilding in National 1 may be beneficial for us (subject to us actually being able to afford it). But...who do you promote? Richmond as they are top? Blackheath won't be happy (arguably neither will Chinnor). And that's only Championship to National 1. It gets far more complicated the further down the divisions you go as per C2's point.

Saracens already relegated, Newcastle to replace them, again you won't find many strong arguments for it not to be the case.

Suspend the season and call it null and void...what do you do with the promotions/relegations described above - see you in court?

The trouble is, whilst I am not going to get into the science / political argument about locking down / not locking down when could the season end if it's not null and voided/stopped as is? Let's say mass gatherings are banned until we have this peak in the summer (that's what I think we are aiming for). We could literally be going from one season to the next - I suspect any summer tours for the internationals are probably close to being pulled already.

The premiership final is another case as well, it will hit the cash-strapped RFU, I'm sure a lot of ticket sales go to PRL, but stadium hire and also bar takings will not help the RFU.

It's a mess, no two ways about it, we trained with our kids yesterday to give them a bit of normality amidst a time of great uncertainty. We are meant to be away at another team next week...who knows.

Billy ba
Billy ba
16 March, 2020 08:55
Never seen a club where supporters are so keen to see their team relegated before

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
16 March, 2020 11:06
Don't think anyone's keen to see club relegated just think we are being realistic

A. We haven't been good enough
B. With funding cuts we would be half as bad next year as we are currently only running on Funding,
C. More of a chance being competitive and opportunity to rebuild in a lower league,

Certainly don't deserve to stay up on a technicality as Richmond etc have done enough to come and we don't deserve to stay there,

Bigger problems world wide to deal with and pails into insignificance with the scale of whats going on, but would have no complaints from me if the season finished as is and we were down, not keen just realsitic

leeds_shark
WPL
16 March, 2020 12:06
Couldn't agree more Opus - if we had a chance of staying up then it would be a completely different message from me. As it is we have been shown (not through lack of effort by the players) that we can't compete this year. I personally would much rather go and see us play a game where the result is in question not by how many points.

Your right though, there is a much bigger issue here with so much unknown!

leeds exile
leeds exile
16 March, 2020 16:22
Weird that the official site has put up details of the Hartbury game this Sunday as if they expect it to go ahead. Surely after having a person "infected" last Saturday they have to wait and see what transpires?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
16 March, 2020 17:18
The Rhinos suspect has come back negative, so possibly the same result.

Rhinos reported the infection Friday, us the day after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2020 17:22 by almostatyke.

leeds_shark
WPL
16 March, 2020 17:37
Rugby league is suspended until 3rd April - I canít see how the RFU canít follow suit.

Whatever plans may have been written for this situation are going to have to be dug out...

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
16 March, 2020 18:17
RL in a worse state than RU in that their season is just about to get going.

But for sure in both codes, which have similar precarious finances, there will be many casualties.

IMHO there will be an opportunity for the RFU to re-launch professional rugby - the current model doesn't work - with new clubs , possibly a franchise or regional system. I foresee far-reaching changes. I just wish I had more faith in the RFU to get it right this time.

leeds_shark
WPL
16 March, 2020 18:48
All rugby suspended...

[www.yorkshirecarnegie.com]

I was tempted to give it another thread but felt it follows on from here.

Going to take some sorting out this mess...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2020 18:49 by WPL.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
16 March, 2020 19:58
Hardly a surprise though disappointing to actually see it in writing. Batten down the hatches, don't panic buy, hopefully we can resume in 3,4 or 5 months?
Will the players still get paid?
Will Sky/BT still pay for the matches?
What about transfers? Players may already be committed to new clubs before the season can finish.
Finances will be strained all round.

Next season = new beginning IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
16 March, 2020 22:19
I think a lot depends on whether rugby can resume on 14th Apr

In the Championship most teams have 8 games remaining. If rugby resumes on the weekend of the 18th Apr then, with a game every weekend, the season would finish on the weekend of the 6th June.

That's the same weekend that the 2nd leg of the play-off final used to be played on so there would still be time for an off-season before starting preparations for 20/21.

If the situation isn't any better by the 14th, then they'll have to look at the other options.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
16 March, 2020 23:05
Just an add-on to my post above,

The RFU have shown time and again that their only concern is for England and the Premiership. Anything below that they couldn't give a toss, despite what their mission statement might say.

So any decision they do take will be taken without a thought for the Championship or lower leagues.

Whatever is best for England and the Premiership is what will happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net