Latest news:

So that's it, then.
Discussion started by Albert Fishwick (IP Logged), 20 March, 2020 10:28
MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
20 March, 2020 10:28
RFU announces that the season is over for all english levels except the Premiership. Decisions on what this means for promotion and relegation to be communicated by mid-April.

I won't be holding my breath.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

leeds exile
leeds exile
20 March, 2020 10:46
Sensible decision. Perhaps other sports will follow. Cricket has not made any announcements of any kind yet and the season is due to start in less than two weeks. As it stands both Rotherham and Otley will be relegated which is tough as both have realistic chances of survival.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2020 11:07 by leeds exile.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
20 March, 2020 11:13
It's a sort of mercy for Carnegie fans, I suppose, not having to watch cricket scores.

As far as promotion/relegation is concerned, sadly I cannot see all the current clubs surviving the unanticipated drop in income due to cancelled matches and closed bars. Carnegie's future was uncertain, anyway, so perhaps less of a worry for us.

The financial worries include the Premiership:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Wonder if CVC regret their investment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2020 11:21 by almostatyke.

Rawdon ranter
Rawdon ranter
20 March, 2020 12:57
Not unexpected. We knew we faced relegation, butnow its reality.

My first thought is that after the Premiership (and Saracens) we are going to see an amateur league system. Back to Boot Money. Some will be found in Stylish Italian shoes. Carnegie’s will not be enough to purchase a pair of Boot Laces.

leeds_shark
WPL
20 March, 2020 13:17
I feel sorry for all players at all pro/semi-pro levels. There will be a lot of clubs that cannot afford to pay them as they are missing out on 4-6 games worth of income. Lets not forget there was a baron spell due to Storm Dennis this year. Even at a top level there will be squad players that don't earn a lot.

I do wonder if this is a significant turning point in rugby.

For once I feel sorry for the RFU - how on earth do you sort this mess out. Freeze final positions (I bumped in to Gelbel earlier today and from a 2m distance, we didn't think that we had played enough games to get to 75% a reasonable cut off) people will be unhappy, scrap promotion/relegation people will be unhappy, use some crazy computer algorithm, people will be unhappy. As mentioned before the top 2 divisions are reasonably sorted, albeit for the playoffs in the prem, but move below that level and it's all up for grabs.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
20 March, 2020 14:41
Just received this:

Hi Alan,

I hope you and your family are keeping well during this difficult time.

We have today received confirmation from the RFU that the 2019-2020 Championship Season has now ended.

We will be in contact with you over the next week to discuss the pro-rata refund of your season membership for the 3 remaining Yorkshire Carnegie home games that will no longer be taking place.

The full statement from the RFU can be found at www.yorkshirecarnegie.com.

Thank you for your support during the 2019 – 2020 Yorkshire Carnegie Season and we hope to see you again soon.

Many thanks

Customer Experience Team

Our much-maligned CST are certainly on-the-ball with this welcome news.

leeds exile
leeds exile
20 March, 2020 17:25
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Interesting decision from the Welsh RFU to have neither promotion or relegation this season.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
20 March, 2020 17:31
I suppose that, with the Welsh elite clubs playing in the franchise/regional Pro 14 competition, this makes a difference to the English situation.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
20 March, 2020 19:04
On the upside,

If the RFU call every remaining game a draw then our results are about to improve considerably!

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion
20 March, 2020 19:45
Interesting to note one key point in Welsh RFU decision taken with "no positions mathematically finalised" irrespective of the comparison of the different league structures. (Even Carnegie escape if that criteria applied!!!!)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
20 March, 2020 21:17
Of course there is the question of whether we would want to repeat this season: if we still have no cash then better to go down than repeat the cricket scores IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
20 March, 2020 22:01
As I said on the other thread, I just have a feeling this might end with ring-fencing.

The Sarries thing could be overcome by carrying the points deduction over to next season to ensure they don't qualify for Europe.

Just a feeling.

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
21 March, 2020 10:15
Quote:
almostatyke
Of course there is the question of whether we would want to repeat this season: if we still have no cash then better to go down than repeat the cricket scores IMHO.

Exactly....... we might be a bit more on a level playing field next season but not much.

In the scheme of things though........

Billy ba
Billy ba
21 March, 2020 11:51
Just when I was making a comeback in prediction league

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net