Latest news:

Interesting Article about the salary cap
Discussion started by WPL (IP Logged), 24 April, 2020 13:11
leeds_shark
WPL
24 April, 2020 13:11
Link

£250k or £150k - massive difference there...

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
24 April, 2020 16:47
Interesting.... if the £150k figure comes about, it means with a minimal squad of say 30 players, average remuneration is £5000 p.a.

leeds_shark
WPL
24 April, 2020 16:53
I would say a squad of 30 is very small unless you have a relationship where you can loan them for no fee.

To me it suggests a model more amateur than semi pro. If it wasn’t for Blackheath protesting you would think it would be giving London clubs a huge advantage. Be interesting to see the outcome and if discussions are ongoing what level we would be hoping to fund to next year...

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
24 April, 2020 18:35
I think we will have to accept that professional rugby below the Premiership is now in decline. The "Richmond model", which was the norm for Nat 1 will become the norm for the Championship.

I accept we have to cut our cloth according to our finances, but there is one thing bugging me.....the amateur/semi-pro scene is going to get more middle-class and more London/Home Counties based. After all if you have a sedentary job paying 100k+ in the City, you have too much to lose to become a full-time rugby player, but a nice hobby with good mates and peer prestige is welcome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net