Update from Phil.
Discussion started by JDH1 (IP Logged), 22 May, 2020 22:20
JDH1
JDH1
22 May, 2020 22:20

Rawdon ranter
Rawdon ranter
22 May, 2020 22:41
Quite a positive and encouraging message. Letís hope that this is the start of more regular updates for the fans. Perhaps the message and further ones can be released on the website.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
23 May, 2020 08:53
Thanks for posting the link. Some clarity would certainly be welcome, although I am doubtful that the season will start on time and with spectators.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
23 May, 2020 09:17
Just about as positive news that could come out at present. Look forward to updates/developments.

Bobba
Bobba
23 May, 2020 12:32
Yes, encouraging views from PD. I always have felt more optimistic about our future after Phil came back to us. Pleased that the name will revert back to Leeds Something, so long as the something is not Challenger! As for the photo at the head of the article, it's a shame that the horse has been photoshopped out!

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
23 May, 2020 12:33
Agree itís about as positive as it could be for now. Seems a long long time since we watched any rugby......

leeds_shark
WPL
23 May, 2020 19:02
Great read - just makes me look forward to the start of the new season (whenever it maybe) even more!!!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
26 May, 2020 07:51
Quote:
WPL
Great read - just makes me look forward to the start of the new season (whenever it maybe) even more!!!

Unless there is a second wave of the virus the season should start on time.

leeds_shark
WPL
26 May, 2020 11:58
Quote:
Wildwillie
Quote:
WPL

Unless there is a second wave of the virus the season should start on time.

Iíd love this to be true, but I will take any rugby this year as a huge bonus! Both from a watching and coaching mini point of view!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
26 May, 2020 12:38
(Sm134)

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
26 May, 2020 18:25
Owen Slot has written an interesting article in the Times about the choice between adapting rugby or having no Rugby at all next season. He does qualify it by saying heís not talking about the Professional game (but even here the lines are blurred as he quotes an unnamed semi-pro DoR, and as we know at least 3 teams in the Championship next season are semi pro).

Ideas mooted are - banning the maul, reducing the number of players allowed into a ruck, and possibly uncontested scrums. He makes the point that the games administrators already want to reduce the tackling height.

Upshot is he argues- would you rather see an adapted game of rugby or no rugby at all. Iíve already got major withdrawal symptoms so I know what Iíd choose!

Obviously this could all become null and void - if the virus dies out or there is a vaccine. Both of which look long shots at the moment

Tyko
Tyko
26 May, 2020 19:12
Quote:
Carnegiette2
Ideas mooted are - banning the maul, reducing the number of players allowed into a ruck, and possibly uncontested scrums. He makes the point that the games administrators already want to reduce the tackling height.

Sounds like touch and pass (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
26 May, 2020 20:53
I want to see competitive rugby - in fact any sport - back as soon as possible. However I think that in a high-contact perhaps violent sport I do not buy the "rugby light" way forward.
For me, we go for it whole-heartedly or not at all.
How can you have a self-distanced tackle? That is the essence of the game. Once you have a scrum, it's a scrum.
Unfortunately our game is probably less-suited than any other in the current virus-affected times.
Rather than try to go for a touch-rugby approach I personally would rather keep the powder dry for a re-launch when the time is right.

Please shoot me down is I am wrong.

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
27 May, 2020 09:04
Hi Almo, I donít think anyone is right or wrong in this situation- itís unprecedented.

The elephant in the room is of course money- thereís a reason why the Premiership are so desperate for a return, and why at least 2 of the Championship Clubs have crowdfunded to bring in some of next yearís money early to pay off this season........ If we wait too long a number of Clubs may have gone to the wall.

The article did say that the contact time between forwards over an 80 minute game is estimated to be 14 minutes, significantly less for backs...... I also read on the BBC website that the Offside line could be used to socially distance- and Iím still chuckling to myself about that!

Bobba
Bobba
02 June, 2020 20:25
The thing with Rugby Union is that it is a bit like sex. Bodily fluids are exchanged between players whether that be sweat or blood or anything else for that matter. Until such time as the virus has been eradicated, then Rugby should be very, very cautious. I wish the game to re-start, but only if it is completely safe to do so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net