Latest news:

Rugby Journal article
Discussion started by Carnegiette2 (IP Logged), 02 June, 2020 18:02
Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
02 June, 2020 18:02
Not sure if anyone has seen the Rugby Journal article about the rise and fall of Leeds. It’s written by Jon Newcombe, and while there’s not a lot new it’s very balanced and doesn’t just rehash the 18/19 debacle.

Focus is on the fact that even in the Premiership days the funding was unequal and weighted against newcomers. Also makes the very fair point that it’s always been difficult to build a decent fan base.

He also has us playing at Weetwood next year........

Rawdon ranter
Rawdon ranter
02 June, 2020 18:11
We was Yorkshire when we fell.

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
02 June, 2020 18:18
His view on “Yorkshire” was that it was the wrong time. Doesn’t pull any punches on Jon Wright- but does make the point that there wasn’t anyone else queuing up to give us any money at the point.........

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
05 June, 2020 16:15
Quote:
Carnegiette2
His view on “Yorkshire” was that it was the wrong time. Doesn’t pull any punches on Jon Wright- but does make the point that there wasn’t anyone else queuing up to give us any money at the point.........
It was always a mystery to me why no-one (except Caddick) would invest the big bucks in us.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
05 June, 2020 20:21
Quote:
Wildwillie
Quote:
Carnegiette2
It was always a mystery to me why no-one (except Caddick) would invest the big bucks in us.

To me it's just a really big ask.

If you put money into a professional sports team you have to accept that you're not going to see that money back.

You're not so much investing as donating.

Leeds is a city that loves Football, Cricket and Rugby League so keeping us going wouldn't enhance that many people's lives.

So you're looking for someone who loves club and has circa £4 million a year that they won't miss.

And there aren't that many people with pockets that deep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2020 23:19 by leemingtyke.

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
06 June, 2020 10:23
Agree it’s a huge ask.

Caddick is quoted in the article as saying “It is almost impossible for anybody but a multi,multi-miillionaire who is playing with his pocket money to compete with them” (in reference to the Premiership sugar daddies)

If anyone wants to see the article - drop me a DM with your email address

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net