Latest news:

Sweeneys champ ideas...
Discussion started by JDH1 (IP Logged), 28 June, 2020 22:23
JDH1
JDH1
28 June, 2020 22:23
[www.skysports.com]

Not sure where his wage figures come from but I am sure the ave is far more. Whole thing will ad up to a lot of clubs folding as money and hope have gone.

And I thought an elite uni comp existed already?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
29 June, 2020 08:19
Perhaps the Championship will become a competition for teams acting as "buddy clubs" to Premiership teams or they will be closely aligned to one or more Universities. Both of these models already exist amongst certain Championship teams.

Doesn't look like the current (broken) model will continue. IMHO.

Camquin
Camquin
29 June, 2020 08:27
Well Hartpury now operate as a club and do not have many students in the Championship side.
Loughborough's first team play in National 2 and that side features a number of players who come from Tiger's academy

BUCS Super Rugby features their second teams against other universities 1st teams and those two still do rather well.

While the final is held at the Richoh I am not sure how many people watch. But you know better than I the facilities at Leeds.

Of the ten teams three are Welsh.

Cambridge went from be able to play top clubs and touring sides and now struggle to beat the town second team.

Touring sides had moved to playing combined universities by the 1980s.
Not that we get tours any more.

One problem is that boys are being scouted into the academy structure in their early teens and offered paying contracts at 17. So why would you go to university. Most of course are then dropped without every pulling on the shirt in anger. Some then come to lower league clubs, others drop out entirely.

The NFL will not offer anyone a contract until they are 21 - which means the NCAA is the way to progress. With only 32 professional clubs, for large parts of the country the NCAA game is the only option. So they play in stadia as large or larger than the professionals. The Stanford stadium is bigger than Twickenham.

They also strictly split the week, Friday for High School games, Saturday for College and Thursday, Sunday and Monday for professional games.

We are not going to get to that from here.

Rugby whether we like it or not is a minority sport. As such only the top competitions will get attention.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net