Latest news:

Rugby in the past - a personal view
Discussion started by TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged), 09 August, 2020 22:11
TykesRugby.co.uk
TykesRugby.co.uk
09 August, 2020 22:11
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2020 08:24 by Wildwillie .

Bobba
Bobba
10 August, 2020 12:46
I know there are those that feel that rugby union at Headingley did not exist before 2014. But in the early 2000's we were quite good. A good watch would be our success in the Powergen Cup down at HQ on the 16th April 2005. Have you watched it yet?

leeds_shark
WPL*
10 August, 2020 16:08
Really interesting post...In my hazy memory, I think we actually peaked as a team in 2002 and we were just about good enough to win the world cup - whether the expectation was too much and pressure told who knows. Were we well coached??? Arguably we had a Head Coach ahead of his time and that brought us the advantage.

There is a world of difference between now and then, look at player shapes...it was coming to end of shall we say stereotypical player positions - who else played a position because when they turned up they looked like a prop or was quick and therefore you went on the wing, quick and catch full back. Now it's 6ft+ throughout the field.

One thing that stood out was the tackling, I'm sure based on the laws now those games would have ended 12 aside - yes I know the players would have adapted but still. Other than that we've had 17 years of professionalism and that's made the world of difference, back then the coaches were ex-amateur players now we are getting coaches who played as professionals. And dare I say Money has a big part to play

Its more interesting to go back further still, when the scrums used to form by the 2 front rows coming together and then everyone else joining in, no kicking tees just a well placed heel in the 6 inches of mud.

Was it better then - that's one for the clubhouse when we are back!

Grybz
Grybz
10 August, 2020 21:22
A couple of years back the BBC showed classic five/six nations matches on the morning of the main event. The scrum was just a way of restarting the match instead of an exercise in attempting to win a penalty. Much quicker without multiple resets. What really struck me was that the players all looked, for want of a better word, “normal”!
My theory is that Woodward’s introduction of the “spray on shirt” is to blame. I think he decided to introduce them after Jason Robinson got past someone but was caught by his shirt so he twanged to change them. I reckon that forced the players out of the pubs and into the gyms!
I rewatched the 2003 final a couple of years back when some of the players were rewatching it and adding comments. It wasn’t as I remembered it at the time either. I had seen the final drop kick stacks of times but had completely forgotten how many he had missed in normal time. I guess that is similar to Euro96 and Italia 90 in the football, everyone remembers the good bits and forgets the dross! I’m sure there’s a name for it, but let’s just call it selective memory! I guess when you are so wrapped up in watching a match you aren’t really bothering to watch it with a critical eye, and hindsight seems to come with The rose tinted glasses of nostalgia!
I need to watch some live matches soon! Apparently BT have agreed that channel 5 can show some of the matches until people can go and watch....

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
11 August, 2020 21:02
On the brilliant players versus excellent coach 10 years ahead of his time argument: how many of the 2003 team would be on your list of top world-class players?

(Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus
11 August, 2020 23:15
One who always flies under the radar and probably because his career ended at 29 I think it was through injury was Trevor Woodman.......have no doubt he would have been regarded as an all time great if injury hadn’t done for him.

Remember working in prison service at the time and working at Armley most were league fans and were happy to swap my shift from Sat Am to PM so I could watch it..............it got to extra time and they weren’t happy they had to stay back To cover for longer (Sm22)

Our back 3 in pack were immense at times and worsley coming on he would have started in most sides,

Think we have had stronger teams entering world cups but that team had a knack of turning games round,

The biggest thing for me not including commentary As Lol and Kay etc are quite good on BT but how many of our World Cup winners have just got on with their life moved on and which ones have stolen a living on QOS master chef celebrity come dancing? As those were nowhere near team of tournament and I stand by stealing a living.........Dawson, Vickery, Cohen, Bracken don’t think healey was there but he’s another,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2020 07:33 by opuscoitus.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
12 August, 2020 09:12
Quote:
almostatyke
On the brilliant players versus excellent coach 10 years ahead of his time argument: how many of the 2003 team would be on your list of top world-class players?
(Sm100)

For me, I think Jonny was world-class and, as a leader, Martin Johnson was too.

The stand out player for me, who would walk into any team in the world is/was......... Jason Robinson.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
15 August, 2020 16:08
Quote:
leemingtyke
The stand out player for me, who would walk into any team in the world is/was......... Jason Robinson.

A Hunslet lad iirc. (Sm134)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net