Latest news:

O/T Tour de France 2020
Discussion started by leemingtyke (IP Logged), 20 August, 2020 23:27
MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
20 August, 2020 23:27
So the pandemic has done it's worst but has only managed to delay this year's TDF rather than cancel it.

Sir Dave has left Chris Froome, who hadn't fully recovered from his horrific crash at last year's Dauphine, and perhaps more surprisingly Geraint Thomas out of his Ineos team.

So who do we reckon will shine in the French sunshine this summer?

Roglic is the bookies favourite for GC but there are plenty of others. Pinot or Alaphillippe could give France its first win since '85. Bernal or Carapaz could continue Sky/Ineos's recent domination. Could this be the year for Mikel Landa to deliver. Could Brit Simon Yates bag his second Grand Tour to add to his 2018 Vuelta win?

Could be the most open tour for a while, anyone else looking forward to it?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
21 August, 2020 09:00
Apparently the route has been designed to favour Alaphillippe and give France its first winner since Bernard Hinault.
Alaphillippe or Bernal for me.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
21 August, 2020 10:07
Definitely won't be Simon Yates. Mitchelton Scott just announced their line up and it contains Adam but not Simon. Stated their intention to go for stage wins rather than GC.

Billy ba
Billy ba
22 August, 2020 17:36
Going to have two each way bets. Enric Mas and Rigaberto Uran

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
23 August, 2020 09:00
Best of luck Billy. Uran has flattered to decieve a bit but could come in under the radar and Mas could be an inspired pick. Movistar are overdue a good showing at the TDF

Billy ba
Billy ba
23 August, 2020 09:13
Would like to see Mikel Landa do well. He's worked hard for other riders over last few tears

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
23 August, 2020 09:42
Yeah he's had to move teams a lot so we'll see if he's found his place at Bahrain McLaren.

I'd like Pinot to do it, desperately unlucky last year when he was looking really strong.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
24 August, 2020 16:41
Yorkshireman Connor Swift will ride in support of Nairo Quintana for Arkea Samsic. Go on Connor!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
26 August, 2020 14:07
Looks like a total of 4 Brits this year.

Luke Rowe (Ineos)
Adam Yates (Mitchelton Scott)
Hugh Carthy (Education First)
Connor Swift (Arkea Samsic)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
26 August, 2020 21:22
The team presentations are tomorrow, although not something that I normally bother about, but maybe a positive sign that sport can move forward after our troubled times?

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
26 August, 2020 21:33
It was always going to be a challenging tour once they announced the route. The carnage wrought on the 2020 schedule has thrown the clunkiest of spanners in the works. It was evident from the few races since the resumption that neither Froome nor Thomas was anywhere near ready. Apart from Sivakov and Castroviejo I'm not sure that the rest of the Ineos selection are likely to do any better but at least the whole team will be at the service of Bernal. Given that he looks to be carrying an injury this may not be enough.

Jumbo Visma have been carrying all before them, notably Roglič. It's a shame that he also took a bad tumble in the Dauphiné and that Kruiswijk will be missing.

It could be one of the most open Tours for years. Mitchelton Scott have made it plain they are going for stage wins rather than GC and most other squads will be in the same boat. I can't see Alaphilippe repeating his heroics of last year though I'm sure he will pop up somewhere. Sagan has been quiet but should be favourite for another green jersey unless Van Aert lasts the distance better than his youth would suggest.

The relatively few sprint finishes should be more interesting with Groenewegen absent. It was no surprise that Cav didn't get a slot and I can't see him adding to his tally of stage wins now. Démare has been on good form lately but isn't going!

Despite the change of timing the usual scuttlebut will be swirling around. CCC won't be around next year and there are still lots of guys looking for a slot. McLaren have announced they are pulling out after one season so Bahrain will be looking for another headline sponsor. And, of course, there will be uncertainty until the last day as to whether the virus will knacker the job before its end.

I am looking forward to it and there should be plenty of surprises. It will be interesting to see how the technology holds up with virtually no presenters or commentators on the ground from UK broadcasters. Like Almo, I have the option of watching the French TV coverage which gives a decent preview and debrief but is unsurprisingly one-eyed when it comes to commentary.

Allez les gars!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
26 August, 2020 21:35
Quote:
almostatyke
The team presentations are tomorrow, although not something that I normally bother about, but maybe a positive sign that sport can move forward after our troubled times?

They could be even more stilted than usual given that everyone will be muffled by a mask!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
27 August, 2020 19:05
Yes Albert it was even more naff than usual.......(Sm120)

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
27 August, 2020 21:20
Thanks, I won't bother watching on catch-up then!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
28 August, 2020 09:48
No I didn't watch the presentations either, I'll get into enough bother for watching the actual racing!

Nice little preview that Albert.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
29 August, 2020 13:17
Lizzie Deignan looks right back to her best. Been a cracking week for her

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
29 August, 2020 15:07
That was a gutsy win two days after a bad crash. Luckily it stayed dry for the women, different tale now for the blokes.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
29 August, 2020 20:59
Well done Lizzie, perfect race tactics resulting in a reversal of the 2012 olympics 1-2.

We are so lucky to have such a world class cycling athlete from our county.

Reminded me of Nicole Cooke winning a sprint against Vos to win the world championship a few years ago.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
29 August, 2020 21:05
The male race was a bit disappointing, I thought. OK there was a bit of rain, but the riders slowed down to let the sprinters in, when a good solo descending attack could have won.

Let's hope the race gets somewhere near to the end before it finishes. I was shocked to see the fans in Nice, which is red in the French Covid traffic lights system, show no regard whatsoever for social distancing.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
30 August, 2020 21:33
The punters on this forum seem to be doing pretty well so far, with Alaphillipe winning today and in yellow and Yates only 4 seconds behind him.

Lets hope the race continues, every day is a bonus.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
31 August, 2020 09:02
Yep, a great win for Alaphillippe yesterday.

Today's stage down as one for the sprinters? With sprint stages in short supply this year it would have to be a heroic breakaway to make it stick.

Van Aert maybe?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
02 September, 2020 21:56
A brit in the yellow jersey would normally be a big celebration, just a shame Adam Yates won it because Alaphillipe and/or his management apparently did not understand the rules of the profession they are in.
Perhaps it's a relief to the Frenchman because he clearly isn't in the form of last year and those expectations from the French public are a great burden to carry.

But congrats to Yates and I think he will go on to justify his jersey. smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
02 September, 2020 22:08
Yep, Mitchelton will be duty bound to defend it tomorrow. Could be interesting with a mountain top finish

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
06 September, 2020 16:52
Cracking couple of days in the Pyrenees. They will certainly be ready for the rest day, though it's a longish transfer tonight.

Predictable outcome for Pinot, though at least he seems more philosophical about it this year. There are others near enough to keep the french fans interested.

Baffling how Aru keeps getting a contract.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
06 September, 2020 18:48
Yeah, two really good stages. Loved Fridays stage as well where Bora executed their plan perfectly only for Van Aert to pinch it when Sagan lost his chain.

I thought Hirschi was superb today. Brilliant attitude after being caught in the final Kms and so nearly pulled it off.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
06 September, 2020 18:58
Forgot to say as well,

Connor Swift riding like a seasoned campaigner in his first tour. Loved this footage of Nairo Quintana showing his appreciation.

[twitter.com]

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
17 September, 2020 19:16
Great rides by Kwiatkowski and Carapaz for Ineos today, who seem to be enjoying themselves now they're free of GC concerns.

Hats off to Richie Porte for a fantastic effort to get back on following a puncture on the gravel. Really hope he can get into that top 3.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net