Latest news:

More reasons to be cheerful
Discussion started by TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged), 02 September, 2020 19:17
TykesRugby.co.uk
TykesRugby.co.uk
02 September, 2020 19:17
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
02 September, 2020 19:27
The bit I have never been sure about is what, for this purpose, constitutes professional rugby. Some players might get a few quid even in the lower echelons.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
02 September, 2020 20:35
Cheers WW,

Have to disagree on your final point that a potential January start would be enough time to get a squad together. I don't think it's anything like enough time.

Today's news constitutes a faint pulse when I thought the club was dead so that, in itself, is good news. Unfortunately though, I can only see another relegation season in prospect.

leeds_shark
WPL*
02 September, 2020 20:40
I would suspect leeming and based on several tweets by some of last years squad (Lancaster, brown and metcalf)that players are engaged. One bit of news at a time....hope thatís not wishful thinking!

I canít see the BBC leaking the west park move (it came from them and not the chairman, who did not mention it on the interview) if there was going to be a problem with the professional team (however you define professional) we played there last year for 3 games

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
02 September, 2020 21:08
Yeah I saw the tweets from Dan and Jake and I get that there may be some players already engaged. I just think a rugby union team is a complex beast, lots of separate but interconnected parts which have to fuse together to form a cohesive unit. It takes time to develop that level of understanding.

It depends how many, if any, of last year's team remain. For me, we'd need a full squad training together now to stand any chance of being competitive for January.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
02 September, 2020 21:39
GH gets a bad press in RU circles but let's not forget that the club only exists because of his, albeit controversial, cunning plan for a CVA.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke
03 September, 2020 13:18
You do wonder how we're going to get on admin wise?

How will we do ticket sales?

There'll have to be a new website, new Twitter feed etc.

JDH1
JDH1
03 September, 2020 14:23
Main thing is we need a competitive team.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke
03 September, 2020 18:16
Quote:
leemingtyke

Good point Leeming. If we are going to reflect the level at which we are playing at we will need to run the team with volunteers, selling tickets on matchday, cleaning the ground after the match, manning the bar etc.
Clearly the Rhinos operations, set up on a scale of 15k spectators, is completely irrelevant.

So we need to invite volunteers as well as getting a playing squad together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 18:50 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
04 September, 2020 07:12
Quote:
leemingtyke

If this means the end of Phil Daly doing our media then another reason to be cheerful! (Sm134)

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2
04 September, 2020 10:07
Quote:
Wildwillie
Quote:
leemingtyke

If this means the end of Phil Daly doing our media then another reason to be cheerful! (Sm134)

The #girlsontour did the Twitter feed for the majority of the away games last season......

And there hasnít been an update on Twitter since 2nd April!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
04 September, 2020 10:16
Quote:
Carnegiette2
Quote:
Wildwillie
Quote:
leemingtyke

The #girlsontour did the Twitter feed for the majority of the away games last season......

And there hasnít been an update on Twitter since 2nd April!

An opportunity to continue the good work there then. (Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick
04 September, 2020 12:40
Quote:
almostatyke

Good point Leeming. If we are going to reflect the level at which we are playing at we will need to run the team with volunteers, selling tickets on matchday, cleaning the ground after the match, manning the bar etc.
Clearly the Rhinos operations, set up on a scale of 15k spectators, is completely irrelevant.

So we need to invite volunteers as well as getting a playing squad together.

I'm not sure it will work like that. We certainly won't be manning the bar as there is a steward and paid staff. I expect the agreement will have to be carefully drawn up to meet the CASC requirements and I imagine that we will be tenants. It will also be tricky meshing a further fixture list with what is already a very busy club. Will we revert to Saturdays, which means alternating with WP firsts, or stick with Sundays, when there are all sorts of different activities going on?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

leeds_shark
WPL*
04 September, 2020 15:13
Quote:
almostatyke
So we need to invite volunteers as well as getting a playing squad together.[/quote

Iím sure volunteers will be welcome once more things have been sorted!

I would think food and drink will be covered by west park, but who knows with admissions, stewarding, clearing up etc

All good challenges as at least it means we will be back to love sport!

Bobba
Bobba
08 September, 2020 13:06
When it comes to admission charges, I seem to recall in our days of playing in the Premiership A League up at West Park, it was Mike Bidgood who was positioned on the driveway to the Club House collecting same, and distributing team sheets. And we used to get fairly decent crowds in those days!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie
08 September, 2020 15:16
Quote:
Bobba
When it comes to admission charges, I seem to recall in our days of playing in the Premiership A League up at West Park, it was Mike Bidgood who was positioned on the driveway to the Club House collecting same, and distributing team sheets. And we used to get fairly decent crowds in those days!

thumbs down

Bobba
Bobba
09 September, 2020 18:26
Oh! I forgot to mention, Mike B. also looked after the scoreboard during matches. And anything he did on or with his tractor shall remain between him and the tractor. A man of many talents!

Bobba
Bobba
11 September, 2020 10:12
Even more reasons to be cheerful. A email update from Mike Bidgood concerning the happenings and future of the Club. Great news at last. Check your in-boxes folk!(Sm125)

leeds exile
leeds exile
11 September, 2020 11:37
For those not on any email list could you please list the relevant points of interest?

Bobba
Bobba
12 September, 2020 14:45
Full details on separate thread.

daveyjp
daveyjp
12 September, 2020 19:15
CASC shouldn't be an issue as the agreement appears to be a ground share (not a tenancy) .

CASC only applies to the rugby playing side of WPL, not the operational and commercial side which is where a ground share would fit as an income generator. WPL already have other clubs using the ground such as both Uni American football teams, Beckett rugby etc

WPL has two pitches (and a 3G), so there is no problem having either of the WPL 1st teams and Tykes playing on the same day.

I imagine tickets will be like the good old days. Pay on the gate. Bar and food already covered in the clubhouse.

Rawdon ranter
Rawdon ranter
17 September, 2020 14:28
I see that the Rhinos have signed a 10 year deal with Oxen for their playing kit and leisure clothing range. Good news for the 13 a side Leeds team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net