Latest news:

Kirkstall Road ground
Discussion started by aidantaylor (IP Logged), 05 October, 2020 07:57
aidantaylor
aidantaylor
05 October, 2020 07:57
I am researching the world's oldest grounds and looking at a Top 20 that takes me up to the 1880s. Ì discovered the Rhinos/Carnegie training ground dates back to 1875 when Leeds Clarence CC used it then Kirkstall rugby club from 1875-1902 when they were replaced by Headingley RFC.

Does anyone know about the cricket club? Also after Leeds decamped to Headingley in 1996 did it become the Tykes training ground till recent years?

It must have been a busy place in the mid 90s with Leeds RFC and Bramley RLFC playing there then it all went quiet. Now just Milford Marlins ARLFC. Again does anyone know when they were formed and when they started playing on the Rhinos training pitch?

Rawdon ranter
Rawdon ranter
05 October, 2020 11:01
There’s plenty of research out on t’internet. An initial google search led to Secret Leeds and Leodis. Of course the 1890’s was the era when the Northern Union separated from the Rugby Union, the history of Headingley Football Club is well recorded in their own archive. In the 1880/90 era England played an international in Leeds at Cardigan Field - near the McDonalds on Kirkstall Road .

At the Rhinos training ground the pitch nearest to the bridge is I presume the Milford Marlins home ground. I have no personal recollections but this area was historically used by Kirkstall Educational
Cricket Club who still exist playing in the Airedale & Wharfedale Cricket League. Could there be a connection of Leeds Clarence C.C. and Kirkstall Ed?

Billy ba
Billy ba
05 October, 2020 17:46
Used to be the Archie Gordon ground

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net