Latest news:

Next Game: To be confirmed....

Tigers stats so far this season.
Discussion started by Yorkie , 25 October, 2017 22:01
Tigers stats so far this season.
Yorkie 25 October, 2017 22:01
From Prem site but you may need to click thru tabs to see player figures

Now, here are two stats that I bet you wouldn't expect!

Turnovers won: Top of the pile with 5 is ......... George Ford!

Most Tackles: Third on the list behind Sione Kalamafoni(82) and Dom Barrow(75) is .....George Ford with 63!

Thought this lad Ford was a little scrawny runt of a flyhalf?!

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Re: Tigers stats so far this season.
Jon T 25 October, 2017 22:07
Definitely not worth his salary, should've kept the 2 players that now earn almost just a bit less than twice his salary.......

Yorkie 25 October, 2017 22:09
Quote:
Jon T
...... 2 players that now earn almost just a bit less than twice his salary.......

Do they?

Jon T 25 October, 2017 22:13
If George is on the 450k reported they do. Owen on 400k and Burns reported as getting a hefty bump and he was on 350k at tigers.

And that was intended as a jokey response. Thanks for the link.

Yorkie 25 October, 2017 22:17
Fair enough.

It was the tackling stat that made my eyebrows rise. Opposition teams targeting his channel? Not gaining much from doing so tbh.

Jon T 25 October, 2017 22:27
There are a number of things with Fords defence. 1, it was never as bad as some people assumed, and I do think this (assumption) was down to his size, he's not a big lad and they assumed he'd be a liability, he never was for Bath. 2, he has a great League background, think what you will about that code, but don't belittle the tackling technique. And 3, he might not make the headline hits, but even if a player isn't knocked back or brought to ground he always impedes their progress .

Yorkie 25 October, 2017 23:07
He's little so folk trip over him on the way through!

More seriously, his size is a problem as that big no. 8 running at full tilt will knock him backwards, even if he tackles/stops him (which he generally does), giving a better target for the support runners. Did happen when he was at Bath and when he's playing for England. But I've not really noticed this happening thus far with Tigers this season. Noticed more him getting stuck in and making tackles for others! YBY seems to miss more tackles than George of late and he's no Ian Humphries!

Still wouldn't expect any team's 10 to be their third highest tackler.

Rich W 26 October, 2017 05:03
What it doesn't tell us is anything qualitative about the tackles. Are they aggressive, passive, effective eet etc?

Personally I've been pleasantly surprised by their efficacy rather than their number.

But the t/o starts make no sense to me at all.

Duncan Keene 26 October, 2017 07:49
He's definitely targeting the ball in the tackle and getting turnovers. He plays pretty much every minute of every game in a central position, so if the stats don't allow for per minute (ideally) or per game (still biased in favour of 80 min players) then he will end up higher than others. How many different back row players have played for us this year?

tigerburnie 26 October, 2017 08:30
George is definitely a better player here than he was in his last year at Barf, I wasn't his biggest fan, but I could be now, the lads doing well.

Yorkie 26 October, 2017 10:24
Rich

Remember these stats just cover Prem games I believe.

And they are statistics!!

IDLETIMES 26 October, 2017 13:40
Well said about George and what about May, you can do the maths on trys scored and tackles made but they don't show how he looks around, reads the game and sees where the gaps are going to be

Stopsy 26 October, 2017 20:01
He definitely targets the ball and has ripped a few in my tv viewing

Rich W 27 October, 2017 01:18
It's a sensible approach - he's never going send the man back but if he latches on the disparity in size ceases to be an issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net