Latest news:

Next Game: Premiership Cup Sat 21st Sep Away v Worcester Warriors ko 3:00pm
Game After: Premiership Cup Fri 27th Sep Home v Exeter Chiefs ko 7:45pm

Maximising attendances
Discussion started by Stopsy , 08 June, 2019 14:49
Maximising attendances
Stopsy 08 June, 2019 14:49
Why don’t they announce the fixture list for the coming season ASAP? Even if it is weekend Friday to Sunday, it would allow people to plan holiday, family visits, work trips. As it is the list is published and usually a number of games I would have prioritised and could have gone to have become impossible.

Re: Maximising attendances
arh53 08 June, 2019 15:13
Hear, hear. Been saying this for years. I always want to book a holiday for October. To get the best air fares it is usually best to book early - but by the time the fixtures come out it is too late and I often miss a match or two as a result.

Yorkie 08 June, 2019 16:13
They have to (or do) wait for the football fixtures to be announced.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

PrestonTiger 08 June, 2019 20:43
With you on this - get on with it early.
And waiting for the wendyballers? Of FFS do it BEFORE them and let them sort their shiiite out themselves.

Stopsy 09 June, 2019 01:11
Út surely they can indicate the weekend and then fit around the football or is it TV clashes with football?

Duckonstilts 10 June, 2019 17:00
Its amazing that Rugby ever gets anything done TBH. If its this complicated to arrange 22 games of rugby.

Any chance we can have Saints/Tigers at christmas? :-)

melton tiger 10 June, 2019 23:00
Quote:
Duckonstilts
Its amazing that Rugby ever gets anything done TBH. If its this complicated to arrange 22 games of rugby.
Any chance we can have Saints/Tigers at christmas? :-)
Yes please, with the reverse game at Easter.
Will never happen though. BT Sport won't want to "waste" such a grand spectacle now they've taken it to Friday night along with the other proper derbies Bath v Bristol, Bristol V Glaws, Glaws v Bath etc.

tjs10 11 June, 2019 03:36
I think the reason they have previously had to wait for the football fixtures was due to primacy of tenure for any rugby clubs who ground-share as tenants of a football club, to avoid both sides having home fixtures on the same weekend.

While broadcast schedules can have an influence on the day of the fixture, they don't dictate the weekend that is chosen.

Stopsy 11 June, 2019 04:38
Thanks Tim, I'd forgotten that little gem. Only applies to LI then, if them?

tjs10 11 June, 2019 04:57
While Cov Wasps have primacy over Cov City now, I'm not sure if Bristol Bears have the same priority over Bristol City FC at Ashton Gate?

Stopsy 11 June, 2019 06:22
Cov City now play at St Andrews! Surprised that wasn't banner headlines in the Perth Tribune...

JK 11 June, 2019 10:55
We also have the problem, don't we, of Tigers and LCFC not being able to play at home on the same day at the stipulation of the city authorities/emergency services?

Stopsy 11 June, 2019 10:59
But again, that doesn't stop the weekend being named

SK 88 11 June, 2019 11:23
Fixtures being released on 10th July. Euro rounds should be known by then as well but we'll see.

Prem fixtures to begin 20th October, Euro fixtures in Nov, Dec and Jan. Approximately 11 Prem games are AFTER next year's 6 nations so building momentum during the season will be vitally important, especially to us where Europe is effectively a sideshow.

Personally I wouldn't want Saints at X mas, with some good form (i.e. any good form at all) I think we can sell both those fixtures out. Some one like Sale or Worcester over X mas, big games these days but not a massive draw on their own, either Saints early doors or after 6N to kick start the run in for me.

tjs10 12 June, 2019 07:53
Fair point Mr Stops.

The only football in the Weekend West is either Perth Glory (topped the table but lost the Grand Final this year) or the silly kind of "football" that nobody else in the world other than Melburnians seem to play.

As for maximising attendances, just be grateful that you are getting your fixtures 3 months before the first game.

This season, the Western Force fixtures were released a massive 3 WEEKS before the first fixture, and this is for a competition that the owner of the Force is bankrolling himself! Incidentally, Force have 2 games left this season, and one of those is still officially against "TBC" (Not because it relies on playoffs etc, but rather because the opposition doesn't actually EXIST yet!)

So it could be worse!!!

Stopsy 12 June, 2019 12:33
I hope the rest of your life is better than that Tim. Saints season seems to be going apace

tjs10 13 June, 2019 04:01
Yes, generally all good here down in the Swan River Colony.

Top flight rugby is a bit thin on the ground since the Super Rugby culling but the innovations from the new "Global Rapid Rugby" tournament are growing on me as the ball is in play for longer than in normal matches.

Perth has a few big games coming up soon across the rugby codes with State of Origin game 2 next weekend and then a Bledisloe Cup match in August.

I still miss the atmosphere of the Crumbie Terrace during a successful league or cup run...but then again I assume most current season ticket holders do too! ;-)

SK 88 13 June, 2019 09:39
City fixtures out, home on boxing day, away on the 29th, which opens up the whole 28/29/30 weekend for a Tigers home game.

Fingers crossed for a 27th 3pm kick off!!!

Johns 17 June, 2019 07:59
Quote:
tjs10
I think the reason they have previously had to wait for the football fixtures was due to primacy of tenure for any rugby clubs who ground-share as tenants of a football club, to avoid both sides having home fixtures on the same weekend.
While broadcast schedules can have an influence on the day of the fixture, they don't dictate the weekend that is chosen.

How strange Tim there was me thinking PRLs rules require clubs to have primacy of tenure.

If a club does not have primacy of tenure they should waite for the fixtures of other clubs to be fixed.

tjs10 17 June, 2019 09:27
I think that is the case John, but clubs with existing groundshare agreements were "grandfathered" and didn't need to have primacy unless they moved to a new ground.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net