Latest news:

Next Game: Premiership Cup Sat 21st Sep Away v Worcester Warriors ko 3:00pm
Game After: Premiership Cup Fri 27th Sep Home v Exeter Chiefs ko 7:45pm

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reverse the penalty for unsportsman like conduct.
Discussion started by Yorkie , 09 June, 2019 08:29
Reverse the penalty for unsportsman like conduct.
Yorkie 09 June, 2019 08:29
Done to Australia in the U20's game v Ireland when they celebrated winning a turnover/hanging on penalty and tried to wind up Ireland in the opinion of the ref.

Can we PLEASE introduce this into the Prem. Stop all the back slapping of the pack when they win a penalty. (Just doing their job ffs!) Stop all the head patting of your team mates or opposition when you get a decision from the ref. It really does spoil the game and is getting worse.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Re: Reverse the penalty for unsportsman like conduct.
Mrs H 09 June, 2019 08:49
Agreed and can we also have refs using the 10 yard rule for dissent too. Seems to have gone off the radar lately and is an effective tool for.......tools??!!

Yorkie 09 June, 2019 11:13
Agreed Mrs H.

You often hear a ref say to a captain "If he talks to me again ...." or "I only want to hear you speaking to me" early in a game and then be saying the same over and over again from there on in without taking any action to stop it.

SK 88 09 June, 2019 11:26
Let the players celebrate. A pat on the head never hurt anyone.

What would you say if we lost a game on a decision like that?

Tom Paine 09 June, 2019 11:39
Pat your own bloke's head (or anywhere else!) by all means, but not your opponent's. A good ref will stop the Marler-style wind ups before they get out of hand. Why is it nearly always props who can't resist a taunt? I'd also reverse a penalty for the card sign or shouts of yellow/red.

Stopsy 09 June, 2019 13:10
In general agreement. Also the blatant “holding “ shout at every ruck regardless of the ball being held or not. Holding on is a penalty so any player appealing for it wrongly should get the sanction reversed

SK 88 09 June, 2019 13:57
Why don't we penalise the players for breathing too?

These are all natural human reactions, just let them play the game not force our behaviour norms onto them.

Stopsy 09 June, 2019 15:13
I think there is a degree of them being trained in this behaviour, like footballers training how to dive. I’m not against normal behaviours but the professional getting at the ref is now being over done in my mind

Elder 09 June, 2019 15:35
Presumably those in favour of such a law change would have been happy for Tigers to have been penalised at the end of the Newcastle game for congratulating Guy Thompson on winning the turnover then ?
Shall we ban celebrating a try too, maybe allow a firm handshake and nothing more.

S4llyC 09 June, 2019 19:41
I think there a distinct difference between celebrating a try or turnover for your own side (good, and perfectly acceptable) and taunting the opposition (unnecessary, unsporting and worthy of ref sanction).

If refs were to more regularly use the 10 metre sanction, or reverse a pen, the message would soon get through.

Yorkie 09 June, 2019 20:30
Quote:
Elder

....... such a law change ....

Not a "law change".

Elder 09 June, 2019 22:22
Quote:
Yorkie
Quote:
Elder

....... such a law change ....

Not a "law change".

Whatever - the point stands.

Stopsy 09 June, 2019 23:18
I think enforcing the laws on the scrum re throw in and foot up would be a better place to start

SimonG19 10 June, 2019 11:18
It's astonishing how some people can't see the difference between celebrating with your own side and taunting the opposition.

S4llyC 10 June, 2019 13:07
Quote:
SimonG19
It's astonishing how some people can't see the difference between celebrating with your own side and taunting the opposition.

Is there an echo in here?

Stopsy 10 June, 2019 13:22
Mansplaining for you my dear winking smiley

And Yorkie regarding the title, why not just unsporting behaviour, taking gender out of it? Actually you have helped me I have been trying to find a non-abusive term for when players feign injury etc. and I think unsporting fits the bill without triggering any isms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 13:25 by Stopsy.

SimonG19 10 June, 2019 13:59
Quote:
S4llyC
Quote:
SimonG19

You can see the difference. My comment was about those who can't.

Willbur 10 June, 2019 14:59
Quote:
Stopsy
Actually you have helped me I have been trying to find a non-abusive term for when players feign injury etc. and I think unsporting fits the bill without triggering any isms.

Cheating.

Though some may find that 'abusive'. - truth hurts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 15:01 by Willbur.

Duckonstilts 10 June, 2019 16:55
Stronger refs are exactly whats needed. They have the tools and when they use them (reversing a penalty, marching 10 yards) nice and early rather than this wishy-washy First warning, final warning, final final warning nonsense it often reduces the need for cards later on.

Players will push the boundaries until breaking point. Its up to the officials to push back. I am sure most fans would be a lot more comfortable with a few early interventions rather than having to wait until the cards come out all the time.

Elder 10 June, 2019 18:33
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
S4llyC
Quote:
SimonG19

You can see the difference. My comment was about those who can't.

Who can’t see the difference? OP refers to eliminating both celebrating and the taunting.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net