Latest news:

Next Game: Premiership Cup Sat 21st Sep Away v Worcester Warriors ko 3:00pm
Game After: Premiership Cup Fri 27th Sep Home v Exeter Chiefs ko 7:45pm

O'Connor back to Hawke's Bay
Discussion started by SK 88 , 10 June, 2019 18:57
O'Connor back to Hawke's Bay
SK 88 10 June, 2019 18:57
Hawke's Bay Today

Surprised he's not signed somewhere in Europe, though maybe Mitre 10 with a view to either being an injury replacement somewhere next year, a Super Rugby contract or Japan is a more appealing move at this moment.

Re: O'Connor back to Hawke's Bay
tbtb 10 June, 2019 22:12
We should have got much better out of him

Brownian Motion 11 June, 2019 07:55
Hard to do with his injury record.

Stopsy 11 June, 2019 08:04
I don't think we played to his strengths either.

SK 88 11 June, 2019 10:02
Quote:
Brownian Motion
Hard to do with his injury record.

73 games in 4 years (which doesn't include the games he was fit for and we didn't pick him) is not a bad record of fitness for an openside flanker. Its such an attritional position you will not get many players with significantly better fitness records than that. That's fit and selected 60% of the time. There is commonly said to be a 25% injury rate in a season, given fly halfs and scrum halfs are rarely injured it doesn't seem particularly unlikely to me that opendside flankers will have a much lower fitness record given the way they are targeted at rucks.

I would be very interested in a wider look at fitness rates in the Prem by position. It would certainly shed some light on threads like these.

Brownian Motion 11 June, 2019 10:12
Interesting, just off the top of my head I'd have said he played in fewer games - always worth checking first it would seem!

Murphyjames 11 June, 2019 16:19
Became one of our icons of failure during his time at Tigers.

He arrived after much hype and fanfare...then a call to play for England.

Then the Tigers curse struck - the club and the rugby department actuaslly reverse coached him and made him less fit and durable than before.

jojo 11 June, 2019 18:20
I think more that the rules changed making him less effective. Still would have liked him for another year.

Mrs JJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net