Current Page: 1 of 2
Borthwick to Tigers
Discussion started by tigersimon , 13 September, 2019 12:53
Borthwick to Tigers
tigersimon 13 September, 2019 12:53
According to the Times today.

Re: Borthwick to Tigers
Jon T 13 September, 2019 13:39
Don't have access to the times. So not read the link. I think He's a good coach, and I'm not convinced Mark Bakewell has done a great job for us.

However, after a supposedly positive, settled preseason, this is just the sort of news I don't want to be reading. Really unsettling and another example of our incompetent man management at board level.

Jon T 13 September, 2019 13:50
[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Read it now. Rumour and supposition, it may be, but my thoughts above still stand.

SK 88 13 September, 2019 13:58
Bakewell's fixed term contract expires in the summer, Borthwick is available from next summer.

Getting your ducks in a row early hardly seems "another example of our incompetent man management at board level. " to me, and I'm not exactly known for giving them an easy time!

Bakewell rarely stays anywhere for too long so there is no reason to think he isn't happy to move on himself.

Jon T 13 September, 2019 15:10
Its how you view your man management.

Getting your ducks in a row early hardly seems "another example of our incompetent man management at board level. " to me, and I'm not exactly known for giving them an easy time! 

Before a balls been passed, or kicked. The BOD are saying to Bakewell and Murphy, it doesn't matter what strides you make this year we're bringing someone else in to either replace you or oversee you. Just not keen on that. Even though on last years evidence neither is really in a strong position.

SK 88 13 September, 2019 18:26
Bakewell has never stayed anywhere longer than 3 years, how do you know he hasn't told the board that he is looking to move on again already?

The article doesn't say he is necessarily coming in ahead of Murphy either. It says "senior role", he could be lined up as a Head Coach below Murphy as a Director of Rugby. Or as discussed a forwards coach.

I'm all for slagging our board off, they have made enough mistakes, but there is no reason to automatically jump to the worst assumption here.

Ayerzawannabe 13 September, 2019 19:52
Yeh I don't see it as a slight on Murphy.
Sometimes the early bird catches the worm.

To get a top coach before anyone else sometimes you have to make an early play.
What happens if we wait 6 months and a prem team has already sacked it's head coach and looking to sign him?

Also would help contract negotiations.
Being able to say to players we have a highly regarded International forwards coach coming in place would be a very positive draw.

GT1 13 September, 2019 20:34
If we can get Borthwick it will be a major coup for the club & he has to be at least the senior coach! Bringing in a guy with all his club/Japan/England experience will be a massive boost for us!! Fingers firmly crossed he comes!

Jon T 14 September, 2019 01:10
All valid views and I don't really disagree too much..

But theres no way Borthwick doesn't come in as DOR or doesn't end up as DOR, if he joins.

Its just my opinion that this will unsettle and I was hoping we could have a period of consolidation and a chance to right the mistakes of last season without the coaching team feeling the steel of the knife at their backs..

Not saying its (Borthwick) not the right thing, long term.

Stopsy 14 September, 2019 03:33
If true this is very welcome news, opportunities like this do not come round very often.

Robb T 14 September, 2019 13:43
Good, sensible forward planning. I would welcome this.

harlequinade 15 September, 2019 15:53
Rugby World Cup 2019: Steve Borthwick unlikely to leave England for Leicester Tigers despite talks
says the Indy!

[www.independent.co.uk]

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

Ayerzawannabe 15 September, 2019 17:03
Wasn't that what was being said before Gustard left pretty much?

Stopsy 16 September, 2019 00:22
One would hope he’d say that until the RWC is over for the players’ sake

SK 88 16 September, 2019 11:43
The initial rumour was after the 6N, so as to minimise disruption totally.

SarrieSaint 16 September, 2019 14:32
In what capacity? can't imagine anyone with much self-preservation instinct wanting to join a club where he's stuck between the inexperience of Murphy and the sharp knife of Mike Ford. Hope he's got enough common sense to look for another opportunity. Leicester are a great club I just think that's a tricky coaching set up to join.

GT1 02 October, 2019 19:33
Being reported to a done deal but nothing from the club as yet!!

SK 88 02 October, 2019 21:19
Reports by BBC Radio Leicester's Chris Egerton.

No timeline given.

Tiggs 02 October, 2019 21:30
And Mike Ford now DOR too.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Barney_Gumble 02 October, 2019 21:54
Reported by Chris E again?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net