Game After: Premiership Sun 27th Oct Home v Saracens ko 3:00pm Live on BT

Teamís up
Discussion started by tigersimon , 20 September, 2019 12:05
Teamís up
tigersimon 20 September, 2019 12:05

Re: Teamís up
tigersimon 20 September, 2019 12:07
Great to see youngsters rewarded.

Only concern is Heyes is back very quickly after England U20.

SK 88 20 September, 2019 15:08
15 Freddie Steward, 14 Sam Aspland-Robinson, 13 Joe Thomas *, 12 Tom Hardwick, 11 Andy Forsyth, 10 Sam Costelow *, 9 Jack Van Poortvliet *; 1 Facundo Gigena, 2 Charlie Clare *, 3 Gaston Cortes, 4 George Martin *, 5 Harry Wells (c), 6 Sam Lewis, 7 Tommy Reffell, 8 Ifereimi Boladau *

The pack has a reasonable mix but overall 4 U-19s in a single team is asking for trouble, even if they arguably are there on their individual form.

15 Scott van Breda, 14 Perry Humphreys, 13 Ashley Beck, 12 Ryan Mills, 11 Dean Hammond, 10 Jono Lance, 9 Michael Heaney; 1 Ethan Waller, 2 Isaac Miller, 3 Conor Carey, 4 James Scott, 5 Graham Kitchener, 6 Ted Hill, 7 Caleb Montgomery, 8 GJ van Velze (c)

Worcester pick a much stronger team, yet with also younger players included.

George Martin only turned 18 in June!

Ayerzawannabe 20 September, 2019 16:15
I'm fine with that.

We have Exeter at home next week, and it's not too much of a surprise that we might be playing more first team combo's v them.

That being said I do think Steward could put his hand up sooner rather than later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2019 16:16 by Ayerzawannabe.

Duncan Keene 20 September, 2019 17:18
I'm ok with it. Will be interesting to see the side against Exeter. I hope anyone that impresses against Worcester has the chance to keep their shirt however old they are.

SK 88 20 September, 2019 18:04
I think guys like Martin and Steward need husbanding carefully, Steward in particular I think could play all 4 games in the Prem Cup but we need to use them thoughtfully at the right times so they don't get exposed too harshly and lose confidence, but also so they feel a sense of progression and are rewarded as they improve.

We've seen it so many times before that guys start games at U-19 level in the Prem cup then feel like they are not making any progress when two season's later they are still Prem Cup players even though they really are improving a lot. We say to them "you're a 23 year old 5ft 8in hooker and you've played 70 games" and they go "I've been a first team player for 4 seasons and not started a Prem game when you had anyone else fit" (Not thinking of anyone in particular ...) and both of those people are correct.

Anyway, Costelow is the best fly half out of academy in a decade (since Ford) and Steward and Martin are certainly built to play the man's game straightaway. Looking at the scrum halves I've a feeling that that might be a forced hand there.

Will there be any highlights of the match anywhere? I will not able to get to Worcester.

Duncan Keene 20 September, 2019 18:47
Channel 5, Monday at 7. Not sure if also on BT.

Ayerzawannabe 20 September, 2019 18:52
TBF Martin has 2 internationally capped props, and Wells + Clare who are both fairly used to nitty gritty stuff.
I also like Lewis at 6 and Reffell at 7 could potentially be similar to Croft and Moody type partnership IMO (Hopefully)

I like the pack TBH. I think it is a good enough balance on paper.
1. Gigena (IMO on par with Bateman as 2nd choice Loosehead)
2. Clare (4th choice hooker But he has over 100 caps at Championship and Prem level)
3. Cortes (International Tighthead so hopefully with a full preseason he can help with the scrum)
4. Martin(From what I've seen and heard he is the most promising all round lock Tigers have had from the academy potentially)
5. Wells (A player you need in the squad been around to know that you don't have to be starting all the time to be a big player for the squad and a good leader for the young players)
6. Lewis (Reminds me of Croft very quick, a good 3rd lineout option, lacks the bulk to be a top lock though IMHO but should fit the current meta of locks on the flank more than others).
7. Reffell (Being U18 captain and also Wales U20 captain shows he is viewed as a leader not just by Tigers but also wales, seems like a workhorse physical 7)
8. Boladau (No clue but from the army navy game he seems to be able to carry at least)

I am slightly worried about the backs balance.
Would prefer to have at least someone like Taute or Viljeon in the squad.
I think in terms of back 3 we are stretch currently. The ground might not be ideal for returning from injury players like Olowofela and Thompstone.

I get the feeling though that Murphy and the men above him do want to make sure that these players are given more chances to be 3rd/4th choices maybe even 2nd choices rather than signing more and more injury players.

Worcester have a very good squad that beat us twice (Bar a few key men) so will be a good footmarker for the younger players.

ROLLO 20 September, 2019 21:01
And two Sam Lewis, one on each side.

Stopsy 21 September, 2019 08:09
Greetings Rollo, here we go again as the roller coaster leaves the platform. Hope itís a good season for all

SK 88 21 September, 2019 09:30
AW, my thoughts very similar.

Pack is a nice mix, more or less as expected.

Both half backs U-19s with an U-21 at IC, another U-19 at full back and Thomas and ASR hardly being old just puts a lot of pressure on young heads. As you say a Taute or Viljoen in there, or Thompstone or Harrison, would be nice to keep heads cool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net