Next Game: Premiership Sat 19th Oct Away v Worcester Warriors ko 3:00pm
Game After: Premiership Sun 27th Oct Home v Saracens ko 3:00pm Live on BT

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hurricane stops play
Discussion started by daktari , 09 October, 2019 20:58
Hurricane stops play
daktari 09 October, 2019 20:58
Decision to be made at 0400 tomorrow affects England v France and Scotland v Japan

Re: Hurricane stops play
tigersimon 10 October, 2019 04:38
England v France and ABs v Italy OFF!

daktari 10 October, 2019 08:48
BBC

Jon T 10 October, 2019 10:33
Whilst its the right decision to postpone the games for safety reasons, I do think its pretty poor planning not to have any contingency planning during a known typhoon season.

Will be very harsh on Scotland to go out without a chance to decide it on the pitch.

KevinR 10 October, 2019 12:16
It would be very tough on Scotland and a very unsatisfactory way for them to be eliminated. As far as England are concerned, the postponement suits them nicely: Farrell, Billy V and Mahler would have all been unavailable. Slade & Nowell will be disappointed at missing a last chance to impress before the k/o stages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 12:56 by KevinR.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 10 October, 2019 12:40
Perhaps it wasn't the brightest idea to have a world cup located in a country in the middle of their typhoon season.

tigersimon 10 October, 2019 16:45
"If New Zealand needed four or five points against us it would not have been cancelled.”

Sergio Parisse

Yorkie 10 October, 2019 17:07
We're now hoping to fly out of Japan in the morning rather than Sunday as originally planned. Train system all closed down here on Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

melton tiger 10 October, 2019 17:34
Quote:
Jon T
Whilst its the right decision to postpone the games for safety reasons, I do think its pretty poor planning not to have any contingency planning during a known typhoon season.
Will be very harsh on Scotland to go out without a chance to decide it on the pitch.

Somewhat understated If I may say so - fecking shambles and making the game a laughing stock of the sporting world...

Why not a contingency plan to play in South Korea - its like going from Aberdeen to London - excellent stadia - has hosted a football world cup. Complete joke and like has been said if it was the All Blacks (or Japan) that had to win to go through it would have been sorted...

SK 88 10 October, 2019 17:53
Quote:
RushdenTiger (KT at work)
Perhaps it wasn't the brightest idea to have a world cup located in a country in the middle of their typhoon season.

To be fair it's not the middle of the season in October, it's the tail end when the historic numbers drop dramatically.

But yes a contingency plan was entirely possible and could have been in place. Travel is shutting down on Saturday and Sunday apparently, but people in Japan are reporting traveling is fine now so I don't really see why the Saturday games couldn't be move south-west and played either Friday or Saturday and the Sunday games similarly moved and delayed to Monday.

Unfortunately World Rugby do not inspire confidence which opens the door to second guessing.

Brownian Motion 10 October, 2019 19:07
Saturday's games have been cancelled 48 hours in advance. Sunday's, a decision will be made the same day. That's the one I can't fathom.

Stopsy 10 October, 2019 19:22
The prediction is that by Sunday it will have passed

Brownian Motion 10 October, 2019 19:53
Appreciated, but if it hasn't? Surely the same lead-in time is required to ensure fan safety?

Stopsy 10 October, 2019 20:09
They take natural disasters very seriously in Japan and with good cause, earthquakes that worry me in Tokyo barely raise an eyebrow, tsunamis, mud slides, floods all have caused great loss of life recently. They are pretty good at planning ahead in my experience.

joethefanatic 11 October, 2019 07:18
Quote:
melton tiger
Quote:
Jon T

Somewhat understated If I may say so - fecking shambles and making the game a laughing stock of the sporting world...

Why not a contingency plan to play in South Korea - its like going from Aberdeen to London - excellent stadia - has hosted a football world cup. Complete joke and like has been said if it was the All Blacks (or Japan) that had to win to go through it would have been sorted...

You might want to Google "comfort women" to understand why South Korea was not an option.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Jon T 12 October, 2019 01:06
You learn something new every day Joe. : o

Not pleasant.

JK 12 October, 2019 09:05
Brownian Motion: « Saturday's games have been cancelled 48 hours in advance. Sunday's, a decision will be made the same day. That's the one I can't fathom. « 

Could it possibly be that Japan are scheduled to play Sunday? Just a thought... cancel a couple of games on Saturday to set a precedent that suits the home nation?

The memory of comfort women didn’t prevent a soccer World Cup being jointly held in Japan and South Korea did it?

Brownian Motion 12 October, 2019 09:11
Quote:
Jon T
Not pleasant.

Not much during war or associated with empire ever is.

S4llyC 12 October, 2019 11:23
Nick Mullins has just tweeted that there’s been a 5.9 earthquake near Tokyo airport, to add to the problems.

Staging the match is looking more & more unlikely....

Stopsy 12 October, 2019 11:33
They have over 300 tremors a day or some such. The bigger ones are unnerving at first

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net