Latest news:

Next Game: Challenge Cup Sat 16th Nov Home v Pau ko 3:00pm live on epcrugby.com
Game After: Challenge Cup Sat 23rd Nov Away v Cardiff Blues ko 8:00pm not Live on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sir for Sunday
Discussion started by tigersimon , 05 November, 2019 11:50
Sir for Sunday
tigersimon 05 November, 2019 11:50
JP

Re: Sir for Sunday
tigersimon 05 November, 2019 11:57
[www.leicestertigers.com]

Davey as TMO!!

Stopsy 05 November, 2019 11:58
Let's see if we can win by playing better and scoring more

Duncan Keene 05 November, 2019 12:08
Good job there's nothing in the news to make the rugby authorities stop and think about whether they should have better governance in place to mitigate against potential issues.

Not accusing him of anything, but i don't understand why JP Doyle the London based Irishman is allowed to referee London Irish, I also don't understand why our ex-player Christophe Ridley is allowed to referee us. It just makes no sense to me.

As for Davey, the stats speak for themselves. We are very 'unlucky' or perform much worse than our current form when he referees or TMOs our games.

Griff 05 November, 2019 13:52
While I'd agree it is a bit weird that we get JP again, and that you'd expect a London-based Irishman (he actually lives in Sunbury!) to give us the rub-of-the-green. The reality, however, is painfully clear that JP either hates us or is working hard not to have accusations leveled at him - you'll see on Sunday.

Wavey also has a checkered past with us, don't lose heart yet...

Rich W 05 November, 2019 14:27
The starts on Davey are disturbingly stark. He is a complete outlyer in statistical terms from all other officials when officiating us.

Duncan Keene 05 November, 2019 15:23
Griff, as i say it's not good for either team, the same as i don't like Ridley refereeing us. It's just an unnecessary can of worms.

GT1 05 November, 2019 19:00
I cast my mind back to last seasons Bath game at the rec & shudder!!

Heaf 06 November, 2019 10:12
I think LI would be more than happy to have a different ref and TMO too ... JPD has even red carded a LI player in the past for a perfectly legal tackle based on what he 'thought' he had seen and was later proved wrong ...

SK 88 06 November, 2019 13:27
That's part of the point for me, does he worry about it and feel the need to "prove" it doesn't affect him by being harsher Irish? Overall its just not a good look and easily avoided. At some stage it will all blow up with some ref or another.

Davey is just a disgrace to rugby and should be binned off for eternity. How we let Dave Pearson slide out of the game and retained that berk instead should be the cause of an inquiry at the RFU.

Heaf 06 November, 2019 13:53
Agreed SK ... reminds me of when they used to allow Alain Rolland to ref England v France - I used to think then why don't they just pick another ref that doesn't have a such a strong link to France.

PrestonTiger 07 November, 2019 23:26
Quote:
Heaf
Agreed SK ... reminds me of when they used to allow Alain Rolland to ref England v France - I used to think then why don't they just pick another ref that doesn't have a such a strong link to France.

Yes what negative bias could a French Irishman have against English 🤔

Yorkie 08 November, 2019 01:50
The standard of refereeing in the Prem and elsewhere is still a blight upon our sport. And that standard dropped massively when Wayne Barnes retired.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Tom Paine 09 November, 2019 18:49
Continues to deteriorate. Maxwell-Keyes was abysmal during today's Glos v Saracens game. At least 7 penalties by Sarries in their 22 in the final 15 minutes. M-K Dunce didn't half give their captain a ticking off. Would have been far better letting Claire Hodnett, the TMO, referee from the truck. She made far more correct calls than he did.

Rich W 09 November, 2019 21:15
It really is an unacceptable state of affairs and it's ruining the game.

Oxon Rob 10 November, 2019 07:54
Here's a slightly different perspective. The laws were basically established when players were smaller and less strong, fitness levels were lower, the game was slower and, being amateurs, players did not have time to be coached in ways to maximise advantage within the laws or ways to break the laws with low risk of detection. The laws have then been tinkered with to try to address this adding further layers and layers of complexity. As such, the refereeing task has become so difficult that only a few are now able to execute the role effectively and the game could, legitimately be stopped every few seconds because of some infringement or other. So - simplify it. So what if there are hands in the ruck. So what if a player comes in from the side. So what if the ball isn't released when tackled. I'm sure there is a good case for retaining each of the exemplary laws I've mentioned (I was a tight head prop so have only really heard others talking about this stuff) - but hopefully the general point is made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2019 07:54 by Oxon Rob.

Rich W 10 November, 2019 10:43
There's truth in that, but it doesn't explain the massive disparity in standards.

ExiledChameleon 10 November, 2019 11:15
Quote:
Duncan Keene
Griff, as i say it's not good for either team, the same as i don't like Ridley refereeing us. It's just an unnecessary can of worms.

As a LI fan I agree, and we should all put a petition together to stop JP Doyle ever refereeing us again.

SK 88 10 November, 2019 11:32
I agree with OxonRob that the game should be simplified. My pet idea is to do what we did with scrums in the 70s and turn almost all of the offences into free kicks. Automatically makes referees less influential on the game because the tricky grey 50/50s (or even 70/30s) penalties don't change territory or result in points scored.

However, that doesn't address that the current English referees are so variable in standard, clearly it is possible to referee the current laws passably well because there are referees that do that.

I think the ref mic attracts the wrong sort of people and puts off the right sort of people. With the ref mic you have to be the kind of person who wants to be constantly "on" and the centre of attention. A person who wants to blend into the background makes a better ref but probably wouldn't do it in the current set up.

Yorkie 10 November, 2019 13:15
Quote:
Rich W
It really is an unacceptable state of affairs and it's ruining the game.

Here here.

Radical idea.

All that fine cash coming to PRL from Sarries should be put to good use and wholely invested in referee development and pay for becoming full time.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net