Latest news:

Next Game: Challenge Cup Sat 16th Nov Home v Pau ko 3:00pm live on epcrugby.com
Game After: Challenge Cup Sat 23rd Nov Away v Cardiff Blues ko 8:00pm not Live on TV

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
And we all thought the logo was something to do with the Middle East
Discussion started by Stopsy , 07 November, 2019 07:49
And we all thought the logo was something to do with the Middle East
Stopsy 07 November, 2019 07:49
The Saracens logo which I thought was a crescent with a star, is now so obvious, its a capital C preceding a star denoting any titles were preceded by cheating.

(Sm142) Here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 08:17 by Stopsy.

Re: And we all thought the logo was something to do with the Middle East
PrestonTiger 07 November, 2019 09:50
And the Fez ? I assume that's used to hide the key to safety deposit boxes where the sack of krugerands have been deposited

Tom Paine 07 November, 2019 10:38
At the risk of being called a 'melt' or 'snowflake' by Yorkie & Co, I would suggest that the cultural mis/appropriation by Saracens, including the name itself, the wearing of the Fez and the supposedly comic 'fluence' gesture is becoming unacceptable. Worcester have already had some criticism of their adoption of native American dress and chanting, and calling your team Crusaders shows a lack of historical sensibility. How would we react if a South African team called themselves the 'Boers' and waved sjamboks around? Likewise, 'Saints' is also a bit dubious- probably best to stick to animal adjuncts and certainly avoid religious and echoes of historical conflicts.

Stopsy 07 November, 2019 10:43
Saints was from the original St James club.

I think you mean Exeter rather than Worcester.

I have no issue with the Saracens name, the funny bit was when their fans were wearing mock Crusader outfits (Sm8)

Rich W 07 November, 2019 10:45
I certainly wouldn't feel much about a SA team called the Boers - I think that might be in issue in SA but why would it bother us? As far as I recall we were probably the villains of that particular piece.

Stopsy 07 November, 2019 10:50
Neither the Brits nor the Boers come out of Southern Africa with any credit

Rich W 07 November, 2019 10:56
Either way.

Tom Paine 07 November, 2019 11:12
Sorry about mixing up Exeter and Worcester. Are you ok with the 'Chiefs'? The name itself is innocent enough until it is linked to NA culture.

Stopsy 07 November, 2019 11:19
I can understand why some find it wrong, I don't.

SK 88 07 November, 2019 11:56
The Chiefs racist branding and iconography will all come home to roost at some point.

Saracens is a more complex one for me, Saracen as a term is no longer used for any group and never really held negative connotations, it is almost a term post its origins, a bit like "Barbarian". The only middle eastern iconography they use is the Fez and the Camal mascot, which is much better than a disparaging cartoon representation of real people. And also its been the name of the club literally for ever. It's not a made up name in the last 20 years well after these conversations were already happening (ala Chiefs).

Rich W 07 November, 2019 12:32
Well put.

Dreadnought 07 November, 2019 12:55
Wikipedia:-
"Saracen is a despective term widely used among Christian writers in Europe during the Middle Ages to refer to Arabs and Muslims"

The Fez is a recent construct (19th Century) and is has no context with the use of the word Saracen.
The employment of the image of a camel just like wearing a Fez is totally random.

Stopsy 07 November, 2019 13:16
The fez signifies that the wearer has completed the haj

Dreadnought 07 November, 2019 15:55
Quote:
Stopsy

Not true as at the time these hats first came into use the Haj was suspended (980AD) and instead of going to Mecca for the Haj, the pilgrims were directed to Fez where the hats were sold and hence the name.

Furthermore, Fez hats were actually worn by Turkish non muslims and at the end of the nineteenth century was considered to be the national headress of Turkey.

By the beginning of the 20th century, Austria had become the new capital of the fez manufacturing industry.

Stopsy 07 November, 2019 16:11
Ah, thank you Deadnaught

SimonG19 07 November, 2019 16:48
Quote:
Dreadnought
Quote:
Stopsy

Not true as at the time these hats first came into use the Haj was suspended (980AD) and instead of going to Mecca for the Haj, the pilgrims were directed to Fez where the hats were sold and hence the name.

Furthermore, Fez hats were actually worn by Turkish non muslims and at the end of the nineteenth century was considered to be the national headress of Turkey.

By the beginning of the 20th century, Austria had become the new capital of the fez manufacturing industry.

I just assumed they were big Tommy Cooper fans liking the way he could make things (like huge amounts of money) disappear but so badly that everyone watching knew what was going on.

Yorkie 07 November, 2019 18:55
Quote:
Tom Paine
At the risk of being called a 'melt' or 'snowflake' by Yorkie & Co

I don't ever remember referring to you or anyone else with such terms?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

ttbb 07 November, 2019 19:01
Personally I think our sport is in a bad way. This means that the competitions we have spent hundreds of hours watching over the last few seasons have been fixed. Don't get me started on SA winning the world cup- it's already been said by others and it's not pretty.

Siggy89 07 November, 2019 21:20
Quote:
ttbb
Personally I think our sport is in a bad way. This means that the competitions we have spent hundreds of hours watching over the last few seasons have been fixed. Don't get me started on SA winning the world cup- it's already been said by others and it's not pretty.

It is but after this week's official confirmation of the cheating there is a much better chance of the Premiership no longer being corrupt.

Tom Paine 07 November, 2019 21:24
Apologies, Yorkie. I was anticipating your down-to-earth take on such matters. It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek post, though I do agree with SK88 about the Chiefs. No offence intended.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net