Latest news:

Next Game: ERCC Sat 14th Dec Away v Calvisano ko 1:30pm Live at epcrugby.com
Game After: GP Sat 21st Dec Home v Exeter Chiefs 3:00pm Live on BT

Positives and Negatives
Discussion started by RushdenTiger (KT at work) , 16 November, 2019 18:03
Positives and Negatives
RushdenTiger (KT at work) 16 November, 2019 18:03
I don't know the quality of the opposition (was that their first team?) so everything has a big 'if and but' about it anyway but for what it's worth here's my take:

Positives: The backs looked sharp and they executed the opportunistic chances well, the rolling maul looked ok.

Negatives: Forwards in open play still just ran straight into opposition gaining no ground. I counted only 1 offload. Opposition forwards regularly made small 1 to 1/2 yard gains and created good momentum. Attendance woeful (15,250) for a 3.00pm kick-off (I suppose it's related to the standing of the competition). I reckon we're down around £200,000 to £250,000 in turnover over the last two matches if 20,000 is a 'normal' crowd.

I think the score flattered Tigers today.

Re: Positives and Negatives
tigerburnie 16 November, 2019 18:22
Any evidence of Steve Borthwicks hand, was the lineout any good?

SK 88 16 November, 2019 18:27
I would agree with that.

I think I saw a couple more offloads (Boladau, Genge, Lavinini all did at least one, a generous statistician might count Cole's fumble back to Ford as one too), but compared to Toulouse last night there were still basically none. Kalamafoni & Boladau were running good lines but didn't/couldn't slip the pass between themselves to set the other free.

Dreadnought 16 November, 2019 19:17
Positives - brief guest appearance by england players and Jonah Holmes was top drawer.

Negatives - Forwards came off second best to the Pau second XV forwards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/11/2019 19:18 by Dreadnought.

Rich W 16 November, 2019 21:00
Nope

Yorkie 17 November, 2019 12:51
We showed how effective we can be running on to quick ball from the breakdowns. Though the timing of the runs/YBY's sometimes slower distribution didn't always gel. And there were times that we resorted to our stood still default.

Defence when opposition camped upon our line needs sorting pdq.

One of the best Tigers performances I have watched in a long time.

Thought ref was pretty on the mark too, if a little let down by his flag wavers.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Rich W 17 November, 2019 13:32
Ben's passing was much sharper yesterday but mainly, as is invariably the case, because the ruck ball wad much cleaner and quicker. This allowed for sharper timing of the first receivers' runs which in turn lead to better gainline success.

100% lineout, a maul that looked largely effective and mostly good scrummage - despite some very off refereeing decisions (that went both days) I'd say that was our best forwards performance in a long time. Now I can't speak for the quality of the opposition but it does no harm to play pretty well and have a good hit out in competitive conditions.

Ayerzawannabe 17 November, 2019 14:08
I think Reffell made a difference in the ruck work.

Also thought he did well as captain

Rich W 17 November, 2019 14:14
Yep Reffel had a good, if un-showy game.

Captain Darling 17 November, 2019 16:40
Reffell reminds me of Salvi in defence. He leads the line-speed, organises fringe defence and judges when to attack the ruck very well.

We've lacked that presence in the pack for a while. I thought that Evans offered similar when given opportunities whilst fit. Hopefully Reffell can keep improving and become a leader in the forwards.

Yorkie 17 November, 2019 17:19
Quote:
Rich W
Ben's passing was much sharper yesterday but mainly, as is invariably the case, because the ruck ball wad much cleaner and quicker. This allowed for sharper timing of the first receivers' runs which in turn lead to better gainline success.

Yes and when his distribution was quick, we looked so much better. When he hesitated with the ball in hand at the base of the breakdown is when our timing went to pot. Great to see YBY playing as he did. So frustrating when he doesn't play in a Tigers shirt like we all know he can.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Rich W 17 November, 2019 17:39
He hesitated because the ball wasn't clean. It's a machine with lots of moving parts and if one bit goes so do the others. When the forwards generated clean ball he was quick and decisive - and we saw him breaking as well. When they failed to do that he showed down - inevitably.

I'm convinced that the difference with him playing as he has done for us and how he generally plays for England is about the quality of the ruck-ball. Yesterday he mostly got good ball for the first time in living memory.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net