Next Game: ERCC Sat 7th Dec Home v Calvisano ko 3:00pm Live at epcrugby.com
Game After: ERCC Sat 14th Dec Away v Calvisano ko 1:30pm Live at epcrugby.com

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Contracts expiring at end of season
Discussion started by tigersimon , 01 December, 2019 07:17
Contracts expiring at end of season
tigersimon 01 December, 2019 07:17
Today’s TRP reckons Ben Youngs is going to Saints!
Ford, Genge and Holmes also out of contract at the end of the season. Possibly also Kerr & Spencer?

Most other clubs have already made some announcements would be nice for some news before end of year and before other clubs can officially approach.

Re: Contracts expiring at end of season
PrestonTiger 01 December, 2019 07:28
Will he aimlessly box kick them from top back to mid table mediocrity ??

(Ohh how we long for mid table mediocrity).

Johns 01 December, 2019 07:30
I hear that the buyers for our club are heading to the hills.

With just three wheels on my wagon where do we go?

IanC 01 December, 2019 07:38
I'm not sure what can be done to turn anything round at this point. If you are a potential buyer you may take the view that you should wait for next season, buy for a knock down price get a business with good infrastructure and get a reasonably cheap Championship campaign to rebuild.
Obviously nobody out of contract will be signing up for next year.

andysaint 01 December, 2019 08:40
Tbh, for me it’s a bit fat no for Ben Youngs to Saints. Fishing for an offer?

Robs 01 December, 2019 09:04
Newcastle fan in peace.
Do you think any of your key players have relegation clauses in their contracts?
We were blighted by them when we were relegated last season!
I'd be keen to know if they are standard across the Prem.

IanC 01 December, 2019 09:10
I'd be surprised if they didn't. If they haven't they should be talking to their agents. Having said that, wen you go down you probably want to offload the expensive one's anyway.
Mind you, it sounds as if our terrific recruitment people have managed to get all our key players out of contract at the same time anyway!

Tiggs 01 December, 2019 09:13
Do we ever announce any re-signings before Jan ?

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

daktari 01 December, 2019 09:45
An opportunity for a clear out and let YBY go amongst other senior players, lets trust to youth , start the rebuilding with some spare cap by ditching some of the senior players.

SK 88 01 December, 2019 10:26
I think moving on from Youngs is probably for the best. We are incapable of getting the best from him and he must be on a fortune.

Because of England's stupid selection rules he will have to stay in the Prem as he has publicly said he wants to keep playing for England, so if Saints is the best offer for him then good luck.

For me we should be looking at Genge, Lavanini, Ford and Manu as our spine of top players and trying to add players around that.

On Holmes he only signed a new deal 1 year ago (after we beat Saints at Twickenham). If that was only a 1 year deal, first off why on earth did we do that? secondly he would have to move to Wales to continue his international career.

Ayerzawannabe 01 December, 2019 11:55
Quote:
Robs
Newcastle fan in peace.
Do you think any of your key players have relegation clauses in their contracts?

Not really.
For example non of the England players had relegation clauses last season.
Manu and Holmes may have one now, i'm not sure.
But not that many players signed new contracts last season other than the youngsters, Holmes and Wells.

That being said if we was to be relegated I would honestly prefer if we gave the youngsters the starting shirts.

Something like
Loosehead: Bateman, Gigena, Whitcombe
Hooker: Kerr, Clare, Stevens, Vanes
Tighthead: Heyes, Cole, Leatigaga, Hardwick
Lock: Lavanini, Green, Wells, Jordan, Martin, Manz
Blindside: Liebenberg, Lewis, Lavin, ilione
Openside: Reffell, Thompson, Gough, Eveleigh
Number 8: Taufua, T.Smith, Ashworth, K.Smith
Scrum Half: White, Simmons, Law, JVP
Fly Half: Costelow, McPhillips
Inside: Hardwick, Reid
Outside: Taute, Thomas, Viljeon, Potts
Wing: Olowofela, Aspland-Robinson, Browning, Guliland,
Full Back: Veainu, Steward, Worth, O.Smith

Maybe try a poach some youngsters he are lower in the pecking order at their clubs but have potential especially at Centre and Hooker.

I would really like to see a team from that of
1. Bateman, 2. Kerr, 3. Heyes, 4. Lavanini, 5. Green, 6. Liebenberg, 7. Reffell, 8. Tuafua, 9. White, 10. Costelow, 11. Olowofela, 12. Hardwick, 13. Taute, 14. Veainu, 15. Steward
16. Clare, 17. Gigena, 18. Cole, 19. Martin, 20. Lewis, 21. Simmons, 22. Reid, 23. Browning

Dreadnought 01 December, 2019 12:06
Hopefully we will nor renew Polata Nau contract he has been very poor value

Yorkie 01 December, 2019 12:27
Quote:
Robs
Newcastle fan in peace.

It was said last season that no players had a relegation clause within their contracts as no-one ever expected Tigers to be fighting relegation when they signed for us. I assume any contracts signed last season will have one though!

< Just seen the far more detailed and thought through response above. >

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 12:38 by Yorkie.

Yorkie 01 December, 2019 12:33
Quote:
SK 88
I think moving on from Youngs is probably for the best. We are incapable of getting the best from him and he must be on a fortune.
Because of England's stupid selection rules he will have to stay in the Prem as he has publicly said he wants to keep playing for England, so if Saints is the best offer for him then good luck.

For me we should be looking at Genge, Lavanini, Ford and Manu as our spine of top players and trying to add players around that.

On Holmes he only signed a new deal 1 year ago (after we beat Saints at Twickenham). If that was only a 1 year deal, first off why on earth did we do that? secondly he would have to move to Wales to continue his international career.

Agree on all points.

Other clubs are signing up players on much longer contracts than our standard two year ones. OK, we sometimes go for a three year one but others are regularly talking about 5 years + nowadays.

SK 88 01 December, 2019 12:33
I cannot see anyway we renew TPN's contract unless he has settled into the area so well that he happily takes a massive pay cut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 12:40 by SK 88.

Yorkie 01 December, 2019 12:37
Quote:
Dreadnought
Hopefully we will nor renew Polata Nau contract he has been very poor value

Yep.

And on loads of cash too it's said. Brought in when MOC was panicing about losing his "International Hooker" due to his wife's illness. We should have trusted Thorker!

Dreadnought 01 December, 2019 12:38
Who in our current squad deserves a 5 year contract ? Ford? Genge?

Yorkie 01 December, 2019 12:42
Quote:
Dreadnought
Who in our current squad deserves a 5 year contract ? Ford? Genge?

Reffell?

White?

Hardwick?

Kerr?

Guy Thompson and make him Captain?

SK 88 01 December, 2019 12:43
Yes those two definitely.

Otherwise you can just start the renewal processes earlier, constantly topping up 3 year contracts with 18 months to go.

SK 88 01 December, 2019 12:48
Good shout on Reffell.

Not sure on White. I just don't get the hype, particularly when you compare him to the other young 9s at the club, let alone the other 9s in the league, can't see anything that sets him apart. Seems to me he was selected so young and no one wants egg on their face by admitting they might have got it wrong.

I would like us to sign the Uruguay 9 Arrata, he looks very sharp.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net