Latest news:

Next Game: ERCC Sat 7th Dec Home v Calvisano ko 3:00pm Live at epcrugby.com
Game After: ERCC Sat 14th Dec Away v Calvisano ko 1:30pm Live at epcrugby.com

Who no longer bothers to go to away games and why?
Discussion started by Yorkie , 01 December, 2019 12:22
Who no longer bothers to go to away games and why?
Yorkie 01 December, 2019 12:22
Or doesn't go as regularly as they used to?

OK, get the obvious reason out the way first. Fed up of watching us lose and lose badly. (Not one of my main ones tbh.)

In Europe, got fed up of going back to the same places. And the Bic Biro hasn't really treated us to any new places apart from Pau (and we even went there a long time ago).

As you can see the games on tv/on-line so easily, getting lazy about travelling.

The cost of travelling and the time it takes. Plus changing life circumstance as we pass thru' it.

Silly kick off times. Friday night or late Sunday's really ain't worth the effort.

Inability to get decent tickets at places like the Gardens.

Still make most of the games at WR but it is getting increasingly noticeable how many STHs near us are coming less regularly.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Re: Who no longer bothers to go to away games and why?
daktari 01 December, 2019 12:29
Ditched the season tickets for three of us three years ago , could see the writing on the wall then. Stopped going to away games at the same time. Only come for selected games now , Have been coming to the European Challenge Cup games, good to see the younger players who demonstrate dog and passion unlike many of the senior players . Will attend the upcoming Euro games against Calvisano and Cardiff. Will not be attending any of the Premiership games , until something drastically improves.

SK 88 01 December, 2019 12:33
Lack of an away section is another turn off for me. I want to watch games with other Tigers fans, Ricoh semi was great for that, we had most of one end. People always extrapolate that to extremes of football but rugby league does it well and Saracens always block book tickets for an allocation.

But mainly its:
1) We're@#$%&and that destroys my motivation to go
2) you can see almost all the games on TV now anyway so as you say you just get out of the habit.

Dreadnought 01 December, 2019 12:35
Pay my season to watch bilge rugby why would I want to waste even more money watching even more bilge???

Jon T 01 December, 2019 12:48
Its been 3 or four seasons now for me. (Apart from wasps but that's 2 seasons ago too) expensive tickets plus travel and ko times the main reasons they started drying up. Throw in that we currently struggle to rip the skin off a rice pudding and the ability to watch any prem game live... and i can't imagine when I'll next go out of my way to travel...

Aberavon Wizard 01 December, 2019 16:37
Not just you Tigs, away fans are becoming increasingly rare across the board for most of the reasons suggested by Yorkie. Fot us its mainly sheer cost allied to fewer games being played at three on a saturday afternoon.

Stopsy 01 December, 2019 16:45
I stopped when the Play offs meant you couldn’t be sure of us sending a first team

PrestonTiger 01 December, 2019 17:22
Euros - combination of
- not knowing which day the game was on until too close to the day = 1 in 3 chance we can make it (daughter at school Fri and Mon, so Fri zero chance and Sundays not a lot of hope if getting back that eve. And then if by miracle its a Saturday the travel and accom are not the cheap ones.

- same places year after year - sorry by Ravenhill or one of the Valleys in January when its phishing down doesn't have a great appeal.

- watching a humping gets frustrating after youve seen so many before

Brownian Motion 01 December, 2019 18:20
Both home and away games are a struggle for me if they aren't at a time I can plan around. Friday games and Sunday games outside of London mostly aren't feasible without time off work. Late Saturday and Sunday games at Welford Road are limited by public transport too often.

odd-shaped vagaries 01 December, 2019 20:28
I now live in Cornwall which should speak for itself

Much as I enjoy a weekend away with LTASC, which is a great time in spite of the 'result', it is rarely practical

However, when logistically possible I do get to games, home or away, and I have got to Wuss already this season [M5 corridor], but was that a disappointment!!!!

The referee is the final arbitrary

JK 02 December, 2019 11:34
I've moved to France which makes things tricky.

When I was in London, I always thought Tigers picked and chose their away games to turn up. I've seen them lose in Watford, Wycombe, Shepherd's Bush, Barnet and Twickenham (two different teams). Also a miserable draw at Wembley and squeaky-bum win in Reading. For a time after professionalism, things were OK but as the play-offs really took hold, it became clear that you get much more intensity at Welford Road.

I try to go around Christmas while seeing the folks but the sheer expense of the Saracens game (tickets, car park, beer) the season before last was quite off-putting. That's before you consider the shocking bar service and dire rugby in evidence.

I've had great times at Leicester but I'm sad to say I no longer miss it. Can see a lot of games online.

It no longer feels like a Tigers Family with all the trite bull$h!t that gets put out on social media and the realisation that the club views me as a cash cow to be milked to exhaustion.

It's a particular waste of time sending me E-mails before every game from the club shop advising me to shop "match essentials." The shop has very little which is essential none of which I haven't already got.

What I'd really like to know via E-mail or social media is what, of substance, the club are doing about the five-season long car crash on the pitch.

Should be there this weekend though. Helps that I'll be in the county with probably plenty of tickets being available.

SimonG19 02 December, 2019 14:06
Stopped attending Premiership games several years ago when it was obvious it was a corrupt league with Saracens cheating. Now that everyone knows that was the case I still won't attend matches because the competition is still corrupt with teams being able to retain trophies won by cheating.

I do watch Premiership games on TV and enjoy them on an individual basis totally ignoring the effects the result will have on the corrupted table.

For live rugby I watch my local non-league club. Much more enjoyable.

GT1 02 December, 2019 14:31
What I'd really like to know via E-mail or social media is what, of substance, the club are doing about the five-season long car crash on the pitch.

Should be there this weekend though. Helps that I'll be in the county with probably plenty of tickets being available.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more JK & let the club know what time you can make it on Sat as they will hold up the start for any fans who can make it!!

Purebob 02 December, 2019 20:04
It stopped being fun so I stopped doing it, unless pals from oppo clubs are meeting me there.
We've been regular Wuss, Stale, Barf, Coventry Cuckoos, Quins and Stains away game attendees for years. Its just been an increasingly miserable experience that I can't bring myself to pay around a ton for. I'm no glory hunter, but I do like competitive games, and not being embarrassed after the game. That "banter" wears pretty thin after a while. That's all.

I'm recovering well from my stoke, luckily, and I don't feel like spending my newly appreciated health by paying to feel bad.

If that makes me a bad fan, so be it .

Donate now to Cancer research

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net