Game After: Sat 22nd Aug Home v Bath Rugby ko time tbc

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Rumour season
Discussion started by Ayerzawannabe , 08 December, 2019 12:48
Rumour season
Ayerzawannabe 08 December, 2019 12:48
So new rumour in the rugby paper
Being linked with 6ft 6 18 stone 9, 61 international capped Argentine lock Matías Alemanno.
Not 100% sure what it would mean for the locks we currently have.
Lavanini
Alemanno
Spencer
Green
Wells

Also
Jordan
Martin
Manz
in development.

Maybe a leaver?

Re: Rumour season
PrestonTiger 08 December, 2019 12:57
More Argentine beef in the pack.

We'll be going from famine to feast in the 2nd row.

Tom Paine 08 December, 2019 13:04
Massive quantities of Argentinian beef coming in to force out our home-grown products. Now where have I heard that before? Nah, project Fear!

Brownian Motion 08 December, 2019 14:46
Unless the plan is for Green to head back to Newcastle upon promotion, I can't see the need for another lock. And even then, surely one of our academy guys would be preferable, to allow the club to spend more money elsewhere? Like on a hooker...

SK 88 08 December, 2019 15:13
5 locks is fairly standard, its a higher attrition position than many realise.

Spencer is alledgely out of contract so may be a replacement for him but I think it may be a redistribution of spending power.

Duncan Keene 09 December, 2019 02:44
If we are going for two Argentinian locks might as well get a hooker from there too.

Dreadnought 09 December, 2019 09:15
Quote:
SK 88
Spencer is alledgely out of contract so may be a replacement for him but I think it may be a redistribution of spending power.

Sadly Spencer's performance in a Tigers shirt has mirrored that of Mike Williams and he iia seldom fit. So I cannot see him being re-signed.

SK 88 09 December, 2019 09:45
While I understand that frustration he did only manage 33 games for Worcester over his two years there, he actually started the most Premiership games he ever has done last season. So I'm not really sure what we were expecting but around 20 games a season is all he's ever really managed.

Elder 09 December, 2019 10:41
Quote:
Dreadnought
Quote:
SK 88

Sadly Spencer's performance in a Tigers shirt has mirrored that of Mike Williams and he iia seldom fit. So I cannot see him being re-signed.
Oh for a return to the days when we had the ability to routinely pick up such players and polish them to international (or close) standard.

Captain Darling 09 December, 2019 12:39
Alemanno would be an upgrade on our current line-out locks. It's a real weakness currently in an area where most clubs have strengthened very well. Newly promoted London Irish have Ruan Botha and Adam Coleman who would walk into our side to partner Lavanini. Since Parling has left it's been a weakness that needs addressing.

If he does leave Sarries then he will be in huge demand but I can't help thinking that Nick Isiekwe is the ideal signing for our pack. He runs the line-out, is excellent around the park and he's a potential captain.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 09 December, 2019 12:47
Not so long ago a lot of us on this board were expressing the virtues of our 4 locks (Spencer/Wells/Lavinni and Green) and why they were a good mix and how they would improve an area of weakness.

So have we just recruited wrong again?

GreenandGold22 09 December, 2019 13:06
Our 2nd rows are indicative of most of the side. They're good players but we make them look below average. We could have Itoje and Skelton and it wouldnt make much of a difference if we cant throw the ball to them in the lineout and then insist on shovelling telegraphed passes to them for them to get smashed by 3 waiting defenders.

SK 88 09 December, 2019 13:17
Quote:
RushdenTiger (KT at work)
Not so long ago a lot of us on this board were expressing the virtues of our 4 locks (Spencer/Wells/Lavinni and Green) and why they were a good mix and how they would improve an area of weakness.

I think both are correct. They are better players and a better mix than last season but still require improvement in both how we use them and in terms of players going forward.

Ayerzawannabe 09 December, 2019 13:31
If it was up to me I would be looking to cut
Youngs, Polota-Nau, Stevens or Clare
Cortes

Bring in
1 starter hooker - Someone like Codie Taylor or something
1 back up hooker - Personally try to poach someone like Capon, Barbeary or Walker.
1 Lock - Starting type.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 09 December, 2019 13:42
Agreed.

We look really light in the hooker department.

SK 88 09 December, 2019 14:27
With Cortes you just need to make sure his wage is commensurate with his position in the squad. You need a 4th choice tighthead. He's played matches both seasons and someone will play those matches next season. Dimen is on Moseley's bench most weeks so I don't think he's ready to step in the Prem just yet. If he did go we'd just sign someone in, with Heyes, Whitcombe, Dimen we're not really looking for a prop that needs development minutes so it would likely be another old stager.

Similarly with Clare you realistically are going to use a 4th hooker for a few games. Not the problem, easier to retain and develop. Vannes likely to join the development squad and with a lot of props and flankers coming out of the academy it wouldn't surprise me if we looked to move one of those into a development hooker role also.

Agree we need to move on from TPN and Youngs. Personally I would go with 2 replacements to vie with Kerr for the starting role. Woolstencroft from Sarries for instance, Walker at Bath is an interesting one. Big rep but not really done too much yet. Poaching Capon off Bristol would be funny as a reverse-Thacker. Barbeary was a man among boys at 18s level but not seen him at adult level, a lot of players like him dominant schoolboys but struggle when everyone is 6"2' and built like an outhouse. I liked Kessler from Uruguay who has gone to ProD2 for this season. Tongan hooker at RWC looked alright and is a roofer in Canterbury, so available! Would target someone around 24-25 years of age ideally.

Then use the saving at hooker to bring in an extra lock.

Tom Paine 09 December, 2019 14:28
There's a bright young lad playing hooker for Bris. A bit on the short side perhaps...

Captain Darling 09 December, 2019 16:44
Quote:
SK 88
Quote:

I think both are correct. They are better players and a better mix than last season but still require improvement in both how we use them and in terms of players going forward.

A big issue is that other clubs have improved their locks massively whilst Tigers haven't. As with many areas in our set-up we've been overtaken.

Lavanini is a strong addition but when you consider the locks other clubs have who are capable of running the line-out for them:

Saracens - Kruis, Itoje, Isiekwe, Kpoku
Exeter - Skinner, Hill, Kirsten
Northampton - Lawes, Ribbans, Moon
Gloucester - Mostert, Slater, Grobler
Sale - Lood de Jager (yet to feature), Beaumont
Worcester - Fatialofa, Bressler (two very underrated signings)
London Irish - Botha, Coleman
Quins - Symons
Bristol - Attwood
Wasps - Rowlands
Tigers - Spencer, Green

The line-out and maul is a huge weapon now so it's vital to have good line-out locks but the game is so dynamic that they need to offer plenty around the park as well. A lot of those players listed would start for Tigers.

To me both Spencer and Green are good squad players if we want to climb back up the table. They aren't starters at full strength though.

000mjg 09 December, 2019 17:56
🤣

Yorkie 09 December, 2019 19:12
Quote:

Take out Green (who has never impressed me and I'm not a fan of) and we don't have that bad a set of locks. Lavinni will take a whilke to learn the lingo and moves but Spencer always looked ok to me. Has missed as many games banned as he has injured?

If we don't lift the guys correctly in the lineout then the chuckers don't stand a chance.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net