Next Game: Sat 15th Aug Away v Exeter Chiefs ko time tbc
Game After: Sat 22nd Aug Home v Bath Rugby ko time tbc

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What approach will we take now against Pau
Discussion started by Stopsy , 13 January, 2020 12:16
What approach will we take now against Pau
Stopsy 13 January, 2020 12:16
I think we are not yet guaranteed a home QF and as we kick off at 13:00 we will not know what is needed.

I'd go with the 23 we want to use for Bath I suspect Pau will be a stern test away from home and technically they could still qualify I think?

Re: What approach will we take now against Pau
Tiggs 13 January, 2020 12:24
Yes if Pau win they will almost certainly go through as Wuss would need to beat Castres, who also need to win, to stop Pau progressing.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Duncan Keene 13 January, 2020 12:49
I think we will sort of know what is needed at kick off as the Worcs game is on Friday night and if they win that means we are guaranteed a home QF.

To get the seeding for a home SF we would need to overtake either Toulon or Bristol as well as Bordeaux (who we are level on points with and have worse points difference). I can't see that happening Toulon play Bayonne and Bristol play Zebre.

I'm fairly confident in one of Worcester and Wasps getting a home win but Wasps could give up a LBP or TBP very conceivably so if Worcester don't get the win then getting nothing out of Pau could leave us going away.

I think the main decisions are a) about whether the team for Bath needs a run out to gel or whether those players need resting. b) how the England players are going on their total games, we don't want to risk not being able to play any of those in vital games at the end of the season. C) who needs game time.

It's possible Murphy has already been told which players England want, but most likely he's not so we don't know if Genge will be released for Bath, what his plans are for Youngs and Cole etc

I don't think it's an easy selection to balance all the factors up. Would like to see, but don't expect to:

1) Bateman
2) Kerr
3) Leatigaga
4) Lavanini
5) Wells
6) Thompson
7) Reffell
8) Kalamafoni

9) Simmons
10) Hardwick

11) Holmes
12) Eastmond
13) Tuilagi
14) Olowofela
15) Steward

16) TPN
17) Gigena
18) Cole
19) Green
20) Taufau
21) White
22) Reid
23) Worth

Brownian Motion 13 January, 2020 12:53
If we want home games, we have to win - it's as simple as that.

Bristol - 24
Toulon - 23
Bordeaux - 22 (+122pd)
Tigers - 22 (+93pd)
Castre - 18

Edinburgh - 16
Worcester - 15 (+88pd)
Pau - 15 (+31pd)

Scarlets and Zebre are technically in the hunt on 14 and 11 points respectively.

Pau still have to take points, as Scarlets are away to Irish, who have nothing left to play for. Zebre host Bristol, so are less relevant, but could still pip them (Pau) if they secured a bonus point win.

For Tigers, Toulon host Bayonne so are probably guaranteed the points there. Bordeaux however are away to Wasps, who are likely to want a win to gain momentum like we do, so there's a genuine opportunity to finish third in the table for Tigers.

andrew pickard 13 January, 2020 12:55
To not get a home tie, Castres have to get the bonus point win or turn over a 40+ point difference.

Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit

Rich W 13 January, 2020 12:55
I expect we'll send a much weakened squad - which I probably understand and would have supported if not for the absurd selection for yesterday that imo cost us the bonus point and a significant advantage in pursuit of a home quarter.

Toulon will win theirs and finish on 28 points; Bristol will win theirs and finish on 29. Bordeaux will won theirs and finish on 27. That leaves one space left: Castres (18 points) at Worcester (15 points) - I suppose Wuss really should be looking to top that group on 19/20 points? But if Castres win we're in trouble - and we didn't need to be.

That bonus point would have pretty much nailed the home tie.

daktari 13 January, 2020 13:21
Who`d a thunk that being the only team to fail to get a TBP win at Calvisano ,will likely determine whether we get a financially lucrative home quarterfinal or will be travelling away , that was the most disappointing performance by the Tigers in this competition.

Stopsy 13 January, 2020 13:31
That was my frustration with yesterday too, a TBP was there but we lacked penetration in the final quarter of the field and time.

andrew pickard 13 January, 2020 13:47
Worcester are very unlikely to top their group. Dragons will pick up 5pts against Krasnoyarsk and have the better head to head with Worcester.

Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit

Rich W 13 January, 2020 13:58
Ah - I was looking at Worcester's superior points difference.

I'm not saying that the performance away in Italy wasn't disappointing - and costly - but we had the chance yesterday make it irrelevant and all but decided not to.

Stopsy 13 January, 2020 14:06
That said, we are 5 from 5 and by our selections we have demonstrated that we are not "pot hunting".

tigersimon 13 January, 2020 15:20
Those missed bonus points could be very costly!

tigersimon 13 January, 2020 15:26
In terms of selection start the XV (if fit) you expect to be available for Bath so they can gel.

Cole, Genge, Tuilagi and Youngs etc can be put on the bench.

Any reports on Leatigaga injury?

Duncan Keene 13 January, 2020 15:36
What would we expect that team to be? Going with guesses based on GM's selections so far and with Simon's idea of the England players on the bench:

1) Bateman
2) Youngs
3) Heyes
4) Lavanini
5) Green
6) Wells
7) Taufau
8) Kalamafoni

9) White
10) Reid

11) Holmes
12) Eastmond
13) Worth
14) Olowofela
15) Veainu

16) TPN
17) Genge
18) Cole
19) Thompson
20) Reffell
21) Youngs
22) Hardwick
23) Tuilagi

I can't see him picking that team but if he does then if it's going to be good enough to win at Bath away then it should be good enough to win at Pau away, especially with the super charged bench!

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 13 January, 2020 16:16
I'd look to give the planned starting line up against Bath a bit of a run out. Hopefully Pau won't be too interested and we can pull off the more crucial starters after securing the necessary win/bonus point.

Yorkie 13 January, 2020 18:22
Where is Kerr?

And what's happened to the young flyhalf we sighed? McPhillips? Or Tom Hardwick come to that?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

tigerburnie 13 January, 2020 21:02
I'd like to see momentum kept up, so whilst maybe no need for our strongest squad, there's nothing to be gained from going into this game half cocked, we need a side that is capable of winning.

GT1 13 January, 2020 21:28
In other words don't do a Castre!!!
We were lucky to get 0 that evening although the sausage & chips were good!

Rockhound 14 January, 2020 08:26
Iím going to the match with a few friends, are any of you going to be there

Stopsy 14 January, 2020 08:56
Unfortunately not, have a great time.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net