Next Game: To be confirmed....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Disappointing Borthwick news?
Discussion started by Brownian Motion , 20 January, 2020 11:04
Disappointing Borthwick news?
Brownian Motion 20 January, 2020 11:04
Steve Borthwick to leave England coaching position at the end of the season

Obviously the disappointment is all of our own making, hoping he was coming at the end of last year, then January, then after the 6N. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the Tigers board weren't willing to pay up, betting Premiership survival on Saracens being relegated instead?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 11:05 by Brownian Motion.

Re: Disappointing Borthwick news?
daktari 20 January, 2020 11:18
So not with us for preseason , is a major blow and a mistake , if it was a financially driven decision not to hire him asap.

Rich W 20 January, 2020 11:25
I don't read it that way - to me it reads that he will be with us for pre-season. I absolutely take it though that we have decided not to pay to get him any earlier - because after this weekend's news we do not need to.

All I can think is: cheapskates.

PrestonTiger 20 January, 2020 12:05
Any thoughts as to whether Borthwick's retirement and later departure was 'pre' salarycens felonies ? Or complicit in it ? (Not the 2 years theyve been busted for but the real number of years, inc the 2015 brushed-under-the-carpet stuff.
Open question.
But I have an uneasy feeling all of a sudden.

Ayerzawannabe 20 January, 2020 12:16
Not sure on the relevance on it.

Tom Paine 20 January, 2020 12:26
IF, IF? we are to have new owners, presumably they will want the right to appoint the DOR who will want to appoint his/her coaching staff. As the whole process seems to be dragging on, it's probably wise to wait until the change has been effected before bringing in anyone new. I doubt it makes much difference now - it's up to Murphy to show what he can do without the pressure of relegation.

Irishjojo2000 20 January, 2020 12:34
Says hes not leaving England till November on twitter [twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 12:35 by Irishjojo2000.

Rich W 20 January, 2020 12:36
That's not what the press statement says though.

Tiggs 20 January, 2020 12:51
Maybe he comes to Tigers, but continues with Eng until Nov as well.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Tiggs 20 January, 2020 12:53
Actually, when is the end of Englands International season ?

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

JB78 20 January, 2020 13:15
Quote:
Tiggs
Actually, when is the end of Englands International season ?
One would assume after the Japan tour in June? Then there's nothing until November when the new man joins.

daktari 20 January, 2020 13:16
Well as usual , more uncertainty , no clarity about when he joins Tigers , preseason or November, maybe he will stay for a handover with the new incumbent for England , or will he join Tigers in time for preseason, none of the current open information sources provides clarity , only uncertainty.

Ayerzawannabe 20 January, 2020 13:20
I wonder if Borthwick has been giving Deacon tips already?
If not i've been pretty impressed with the lineout turnaround.

Still not clean but improving.

Stopsy 20 January, 2020 14:11
Agreed Ayerza, plus the maul, it does beg the question how did things get that bad before?

Are we certain Borthwick is joining us?

melton tiger 20 January, 2020 14:42
Seems like the usual half-baked shambles from the Tigers Board when Geordie had being crying out for help in the press article the other week...

Brownian Motion 20 January, 2020 14:47
Quote:
Stopsy

I believe someone with alleged inside information has stated multiple times that he is. I really hope Sarries haven't tapped him up to replace McCall though...

Tigersfan1 20 January, 2020 15:27
The man himself is quoted in the article as saying "I have chosen to step away from the role towards the end of the season".

Which could still mean a number of scenarios but I would be confident from that, that he will be with us for pre-season.

tigersince74 20 January, 2020 16:32
Yes, disappointing but unfortunately I have disappointment fatigue when it comes to our BoD

harborofan 20 January, 2020 16:58
BBC Sport reports that Borthwick leaves his England role Ďat the end of the seasoní. That may, in press statement speak, be deliberately vague. It could be that now he is no longer forwards coach, the way may still be clear for him to join Tigers if and when a deal and job title are agreed. Itís not uncommon for departure dates to be brought forward or, indeed, delayed...

GT1 21 January, 2020 21:16
Quote:
Brownian Motion
Quote:
Stopsy

I believe someone with alleged inside information has stated multiple times that he is. I really hope Sarries haven't tapped him up to replace McCall though...

I've known for some time about Borthwick's coming but obviously could only hint, I'm glad it's now announced & wish him well!
This is the most important signing for us in years & I believe his coaching skills & contacts & non Tigers background will get us moving upwards again, it's a big thumbs down from me!!!
He's known for being a workaholic & a stickler for detail, good news Tigers fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2020 21:28 by GT1.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net