Next Game: To be confirmed....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Full report to be published
Discussion started by Stopsy , 22 January, 2020 18:00
Full report to be published
Stopsy 22 January, 2020 18:00
Saracens have withdrawn their objection, story on BBC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2020 18:04 by Stopsy.

Re: Full report to be published
tigersince74 22 January, 2020 20:28
It comes after Lord Dyson said at the weekend there is a need for transparency to allow supporters to understand and encouraged PRL to release report. PRL said yesterday that it should be released but Saracens objected and instructed lawyers. Now Saracens agree to its release. I suspect it is about to get a whole lot worse for Saracens

tigerburnie 22 January, 2020 20:32
That's just a report, they don't mention opening up their books, still hiding things is my gut feeling.

derbyshire fan 22 January, 2020 22:36
Take a look at sky who seem to have now got the report - suspect actually things are going to be a lot better for Saracens, as it now looks like we Sarries fans have not been lied to

Man from LA 22 January, 2020 22:46
Quote:
derbyshire fan
Take a look at sky who seem to have now got the report - suspect actually things are going to be a lot better for Saracens, as it now looks like we Sarries fans have not been lied to

Yep because it's all about you lot. And your club still won't open their books for scrutiny. Dream on if you think that's it.

Duckonstilts 22 January, 2020 22:49
The Media will have more and will drip feed us for weeks.

They never give the full story in one release.. its about return views.

GT1 22 January, 2020 23:19
Here's a link - [news.sky.com]

PrestonTiger 22 January, 2020 23:31
Not deliberate.
Just like Rob Hawkins arm being broken by Clark wasn't deliberate.
Hmmm.

Rich W 22 January, 2020 23:54
Quote:
Premiership Rugby said Saracens overpaid Itoje's image rights because he was being underpaid in normal salary so the club could come in under the salary cap.

What s bizarrely illogical argument.

dontlookdown 23 January, 2020 00:09
I suppose they could have compared to others maybe...? If his is higher than Farrell and the two Vunipolas maybe...?

S4llyC 23 January, 2020 07:57
Itoje seems to have come out of this sorry mess having received shedloads of cash for doing VERY little! It seems totally unbelievable that Sarries honestly thought all these secretive deals wouldn’t fall into the cap. I also wonder if the “official” version would have intended the names of their galacticos to be redacted? I’m absolutely sure HMRC will be reviewing the details with interest.

The very brief detail leaked from this alleged 103 page report may quote some less dramatic sums than those trumpeted in the press, but there is clear indication of systematic efforts to gain an unfair advantage over other clubs. And all this following the original enquiry, when the findings were swept under the carpet.

The fact that after all this, Sarries chose to accept relegation as the penalty for the current season, rather than revealing the current accounting arrangements, says to me that they have plenty more to hide. Before I retired, I worked in the field of tax fraud. There was a court case in which a judge pronounced that if a defendant knew, or should have known, that his actions would lead to undeclared tax, then he was culpable. Nothing here changes that view, IMHO.

Tigersfan1 23 January, 2020 08:34
Good post Sally. These aren’t mistakes, they are blatant cheating mechanisms, and the whole thing made worse by their opting to avoid a forensic audit, to keep who knows what under wraps.

Rich W 23 January, 2020 08:56
Surely no-one really credits the conclusion of the report that there was no intent to deliberately cheat?

Tigersfan1 23 January, 2020 09:57
I suspect there will be a few, in a small bubble in North London, that will do just that Rich.

Rich W 23 January, 2020 10:32
Ok - fair point!

PrestonTiger 23 January, 2020 10:47
Taking the Cashton housing example. If my employer paid 20% of the price of the house i was buying, then that would be seenit's a benefit in kind by tue tax man - exactly due to being at the Co in question.
If I then left the Co 2 months later... it doesn't remove that from being a benifit in kind that i got from the now-previous Co. So for Sallarysins to say it's not to count as he's left is true cobblers.

Jon T 23 January, 2020 11:01
Also, they didn't want the forensic investigation as you can bet this is just the tip of the iceberg. Most of this was reported on earlier.

BxlSprout 23 January, 2020 14:15
Quote:
Rich W
Surely no-one really credits the conclusion of the report that there was no intent to deliberately cheat?

I get the impression that all and sundry avoided the specific question of whether it was deliberate or not - reading the report, it seems that PRL didn't make that allegation either. Presumably because it is difficult to prove that it was, and would have ended up distracting from the point in hand (and, reading the report, it seems Saracens tried their best to do as much of that as possible).

The report ends up making a fine distinction between "knowing that there's a good chance that what you're doing is wrong but doing it anyway without checking with anyone and then trying to hide it afterwards" and "doing something deliberately". Pretty sure my kids wouldn't get away with that distinction if they tried it on.

SimonG19 23 January, 2020 14:17
Quote:
Stopsy
Saracens have withdrawn their objection, story on BBC

Thankfully very few have withdrawn their objection to Saracens.

Rich W 23 January, 2020 14:24
Quote:
BxlSprout
Quote:
Rich W

I get the impression that all and sundry avoided the specific question of whether it was deliberate or not - reading the report, it seems that PRL didn't make that allegation either. Presumably because it is difficult to prove that it was, and would have ended up distracting from the point in hand (and, reading the report, it seems Saracens tried their best to do as much of that as possible).

The report ends up making a fine distinction between "knowing that there's a good chance that what you're doing is wrong but doing it anyway without checking with anyone and then trying to hide it afterwards" and "doing something deliberately". Pretty sure my kids wouldn't get away with that distinction if they tried it on.

Well - quite!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net