Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
So - Should Sarries
Discussion started by jojo , 23 January, 2020 10:42
So - Should Sarries
jojo 23 January, 2020 10:42
Be allowed to play their Premiership Cup semi final?f

Mrs JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 10:46 by jojo.

Re: So - Should Sarries
Jon T 23 January, 2020 11:04
As far as I'm concerned all tournaments are tainted this season so why not.

SimonG19 23 January, 2020 14:15
Apparently they won't be allowed to play a Premiership play-off semi-final should they make it so why should they be allowed a Premiership Cup semi-final?

tigerburnie 23 January, 2020 15:58
They need to prove that their teams selected are not in breach of salary cap regulations...…………………….which means opening up their books, which they are not likely to do until they are forced to.

jojo 23 January, 2020 23:13
So if they get thrown out of that competition presumably the next best placed runner up takes their place and that is ...... Us!!

Mrs JJ

Rich W 23 January, 2020 23:57
If so we should decline.

John Tee 24 January, 2020 00:00
Quote:
jojo
Be allowed to play their Premiership Cup semi final?f
Mrs JJ

No.

Chris1850 24 January, 2020 08:02
Quote:
Rich W
If so we should decline.

Why?

Bedlington Lad 24 January, 2020 08:20
Quote:
Rich W
If so we should decline.
Why? You haven't broken any salary cap regs have you? You've played by the rules so you should reap the benefits

Stopsy 24 January, 2020 08:27
I don't want to profit from Saracens' cheating, whether that be escaping relegation or progressing in a competition.

Bedlington Lad 24 January, 2020 08:47
I honestly think that's cutting your nose off to spite your face. You've done nothing wrong and in my opinion should be rewarded for it. If the Falcons were in the same position (dream on!) I'd be very happy to see the club replace the cheats

Stopsy 24 January, 2020 09:23
No wrong or right, just different views Bedlington Lad.

Bedlington Lad 24 January, 2020 09:48
Stopsy (Sm42)

Chris1850 24 January, 2020 09:48
So, if Sarries are thrown out, should Sale just accept a bye to the final? As a Sale fan, I would feel somewhat cheated if thst were the case. I would far rather we progressed by winning the game (assuming we did!).

If Sarries are not the opposition by virtue of them having reached the semis by cheating, then I would want to have an honest match against the club who, by rights, ought to be there in their stead. Otherwise, I would feel that we were in the final under false pretences, which would not be fair on the other finalists and, should we then win it, I would feel a bit cheated.

As you say, different views though, I guess

Rich W 24 January, 2020 10:16
Yeah - Stopsy's view is pretty much mine.

But htere's more to it than that.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that Sarries should be expelled from this tournament but I don't want to be profiting by it - moreover who knows how the group stages might have played out without their cheating? I don't think it's as simple as the 'next cab off the rank'.

I understand Chris' view - I'd feel cheated by a bye a as well - but that's what the leadership at Sarries have done. Simply replacing them with, say, us is like plastering over the cracks. They have subverted - perverted even - all the competitions they have been involved with - trying to normalise them now just risks (to mix my metaphors) a whitewash of their cheating.

John Tee 24 January, 2020 10:27
Quote:
Stopsy
I don't want to profit from Saracens' cheating, whether that be escaping relegation or progressing in a competition.

But if no one profits from their calculated cheating masterplan, where is their punishments?

Stopsy 24 January, 2020 10:30
Fine and relegation, plus shame (although unsure how many feel that)

Rich W 24 January, 2020 10:48
Quote:
John Tee
Quote:
Stopsy

But if no one profits from their calculated cheating masterplan, where is their punishments?

That's not how crime and punishment works though - if you are convicted of a crime you [may] go to prison the rest of society doesn't benfit from that.

Jon T 24 January, 2020 10:58
Quote:
Rich W
Yeah - Stopsy's view is pretty much mine.
But htere's more to it than that.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that Sarries should be expelled from this tournament but I don't want to be profiting by it - moreover who knows how the group stages might have played out without their cheating? I don't think it's as simple as the 'next cab off the rank'.

I understand Chris' view - I'd feel cheated by a bye a as well - but that's what the leadership at Sarries have done. Simply replacing them with, say, us is like plastering over the cracks. They have subverted - perverted even - all the competitions they have been involved with - trying to normalise them now just risks (to mix my metaphors) a whitewash of their cheating.

By that logic then are you saying you'd be happy with us being relagated, should we finish bottom (as well as Saracens)

All club rugby is tainted this season, no English club side will truly be able to look at this seasons achievements and feel they truly reflect them without a sense of "But"

Personally if we finished bottom then I wanted us to be relegated, "But" if Sarries now play weaker starting XV's against fellow relegation sides.....

Stopsy 24 January, 2020 11:01
I can't see how they can do anything but erase all Saracens games from this year's league at the end. They played us with an "understrength" team that was stronger due to cheating etc. Their full fat team is directly through cheating. Should they decide to blood youngsters etc as they're down already, too many ifs and buts unless you remove their results.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net