Latest news:

Next Game: To be confirmed....

Kalamafoni on his way down the M5/M4
Discussion started by Purebob , 25 March, 2020 16:41
Kalamafoni on his way down the M5/M4
Purebob 25 March, 2020 16:41
Quote:
Leicester Tigers powerhouse set for Pro14 switch
Leicester Tigers’ big ball carrying number eight Sione Kalamafoni is set to switch Welford Road for the Parc y Scarlets next season according to the latest reports.

Incoming Scarlets head coach Glenn Delaney has previously worked with the forward while he was in charge of Greene King IPA side Nottingham.

Backrower Kalamafoni, 31, is a 37-cap Tonga international and has been one of the standout players in his position in the Gallagher Premiership for the best part of a decade having broken onto the scene with Gloucester.

The number eight is currently sidelined with an enforced rest after taking a series of knocks to the head.

Aww. I like him.

Donate now to Cancer research

Re: Kalamafoni on his way down the M5/M4
Stopsy 25 March, 2020 16:50
Has been very good for us when available

Jon T 25 March, 2020 17:10
Wish him the very best of luck. Has never let us down, great fitness record and a great guy.

Whilst hes been consistently better than many of his colleagues, he's been a real reflection of how far we've fallen. Good but not great, lots of carries but not a game breaker.

SK 88 25 March, 2020 17:16
Yes, been a consistent presence is all senses.

One thing I worry about though is getting rid of players rather than having people get better than them and overtake them. We've seen it several times where we trade starters for starters, and keep bench players the same and static. Would like to see someone overtake one of these guys on merit, and then we can release the player and re-distribute those wages.

Rich W 25 March, 2020 17:43
That pretty much nails it in one Stuart.

Captain Darling 25 March, 2020 17:56
I've largely been positive about recruitment for the last 2 seasons, although not for a while before that!

I struggle to see Brink offering the consistency that Kala has for Tigers though. Brink is a good player but his injury record isn't great.

With Kala going I hope that another 8 is coming in but there probably wont be the cap. We've been linked with Moriarty who would fit into the squad well. He's an excellent blindside and 8.

There were rumours that Beka Gorgadze might have been leaving Bordeaux due to quotas for French players in Top 14 match day squads changing. Gorgadze is one of the best back rows in the world in my opinion. He just doesn't get the same press as others due to Georgia not playing top tier nations regularly.

Rich W 25 March, 2020 18:08
Isn't the Brink signing contingent on us getting him fit?

Yorkie 25 March, 2020 18:43
Quote:
Rich W
Isn't the Brink signing contingent on us getting him fit?

Hope so.

Kalamafoni has been our biggest and most effective ball carrier (according to metres made stats) for the last couple of years I believe, even though that is a low figure, so got to replace him with someone better imvho.

And what SK said.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

C130 25 March, 2020 19:03
Quote:
Stopsy
. Yes Kalamafoni, Thompson and Spencer not wanted by Leicester so on they move.

Stopsy 25 March, 2020 20:24
They have all given their all, the start point in my book.

Rich W 25 March, 2020 22:59
Quote:
C130
Quote:
Stopsy
. Yes Kalamafoni, Thompson and Spencer not wanted by Leicester so on they move.

And yet we continuously say that we want better recruitment and better players - that means some have to be released. We may not agree on the details but the principle is what it is.

Ayerzawannabe 25 March, 2020 23:01
Although it would've no bearing on him going I just hope that he can fully recover from his concussion.

In terms of effective ball carrying what's his Meters per run looking like?
He's a solid reliable player but I wouldn't really call him a particularly effective ball carrier. Although his try v Bath a couple season was pure excellence.

On Thompson I wouldn't be surprised if his neck injury is a worry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2020 23:02 by Ayerzawannabe.

Yorkie 26 March, 2020 08:30
The Tigers 2 year contract merry go round continues when others (Sale for one) seem to be seeing the value of longer contracts to create continuity and better squad togetherness.

Causes might be several and combined including the coaching merry go round (giving us different playing ideas and strategies which needs different types of players - Really?? ), poor recruitment (or not but can sometimes look like it due to the former), poor coaching (so players do not improve or take the next expected step up as they mature), the Academy production line which served us so well in the past stuttering (although the changes made a could of seasons ago seem to be about to bear fruit), an air of uncertainty around the club means players won't sign longer contracts with us (and the first point and apparent potential sale of the club won't help), our lack of silverware recently means we're no longer "the club you sign for if an opportunity to do so comes your way" (straight from a player), etc etc. My list I'm sure is far from complete and comprehensive.

What we had when we were winning the Titles and Pots is a strange concoction that is very difficult to create but we need to rediscover the recipe, pull it back out from down the back of the sofa, pdq imvho. And the major base ingredients are stability and continuity which can't be too difficult to put together if some correct decisions are made now to support a strategy that is the correct one. Hopefully the gospel according to Paddy Howerd which we are currently holding up as our beacon of light to follow is the correct.

Ayerzawannabe 26 March, 2020 09:28
Sale don't give player who are like 28 long term deals though.
I agree with younger players we are massively behind the curve but I don't see Sale giving those 3 players longer than 3 years.
Thompson is 33
Kalamafoni is 32

Rich W 26 March, 2020 10:37
Quote:
And the major base ingredients are stability and continuity which can't be too difficult to put together if some correct decisions are made now to support a strategy that is the correct one.

Exactly Yorkie.

Stability and continuity must be the bywords.

And that's what we're starting to see - but for some to expect instantaneous results is ridiculous. This is going to take time - but we've complained about the quality of recruitment - and the types of player we need; about the number and quality of academy graduates and the opportunties they get; about the depth and quality of the coaching team and the support for Geordan - and we're seeing a change in all those things. Now is not the time to change again.

Our constant state of change - churn if you like - and our inability to stay any course for more than a season has been at the core of everything we've got wrong for years. We have to no give Geordan and his coaching team a sustained chance to right that. I think there have been some signs of that it's working but I have no expectation that it's going to happen overnight. It's going to take a long time - probably another 2 years. And longer before we become as attractive as we once were. Changing course again mid-stream will only delay things, only set us back, and only worsen our reputation making it even harder to get back to where we want to be.

SK 88 26 March, 2020 11:23
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
Sale don't give player who are like 28 long term deals though.
I agree with younger players we are massively behind the curve but I don't see Sale giving those 3 players longer than 3 years.
Thompson is 33
Kalamafoni is 32

I had assumed Yorkie meant more in general, and in previous, than Kalamafoni in specific. For instance this is a symptom of the 2 year contract merry go round (I think actually 3 years in this case but point stands), that we sign players up for 1 contract then immediately move them on.

The way to break that cycle is to sign up younger players on longer deals, like Sale did.

Yorkie 26 March, 2020 17:22
I did SK.

If all the squad are on 2 year contracts (and I accept that they aren't ALL on this length of contract but would suggest the majority are) then simple maths tells us that about half the squad will need a new contract or to move on each season. So half the squad have the opportunity to look around and move on if they want or to be binned off by us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net