Latest news:

Next Game: To be confirmed....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Totally OT Talk about giving the racists a big stick to beat you with!
Discussion started by Yorkie , 22 May, 2020 12:37
Totally OT Talk about giving the racists a big stick to beat you with!
Yorkie 22 May, 2020 12:37
I hope this legal action fails as why should this religion be any different to any of the many others?

In fact, I feel that it is pretty arrogant to do this. Or should everyone be taking legal action? My current religion is Tigers so why can't I go to my place of worship to see them?

I know religion and politics are not really topics for a board like this but is it really right to challenge the government (OK, one that isn't covering themselves in too much glory) and make some lawyers rich with this virus still not controlled or able to be cured? How is this different from inappropriate beach visits/littering?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Re: Totally OT Talk about giving the racists a big stick to beat you with!
Brownian Motion 22 May, 2020 12:46
Yes, it's always right to challenge authority. Especially given the restrictions around places of worship are, at best, woolly, and the government have been begging the CofE to do more and bigger funerals, which would seem to be in direct conflict with the advice given to mosques in this instance.

This is literally the point of the judiciary - to make sure that the law is upheld fairly, unequivocally and without emotional bias.

Brownian Motion 22 May, 2020 12:47
Also, the racists don't need excuses.

Stopsy 22 May, 2020 12:49
Appalling, public health should be number 1 priority. Like most religions islam can be practiced in isolation

daktari 22 May, 2020 13:09
Doesn`t their invisible friend do home visits.

Stopsy 22 May, 2020 13:59
I admire people of deep faith however it doesn't over rule the good of the whole of us.

Rich W 22 May, 2020 14:02
While I agree with BM - it is always good to challenge authority in general and the power of the Executive in particular; and it is the purpose of the judiciary to interpret and enforce law in an equitable and objective way - I say this as one who would proscribe all public religious practice.

This is exactly why religion is pernicious. At a time when the world at large is exercising enormous restraint and puting up with not inconsiderable hardship those of a religious bent continue to take the view that their personal exigencies should trump the needs of the rest of society. Religious faith and the practices that come with it require absolute certitude that the pracitioner's rights are pre-eminent to the exclusion of all others. It is this certitude that manifests itself in the terrorism that is the current expression of the persecution, destruction and war that has accompanied it for millennia.

Religious faith and its practice is no more intellectually or socially valid than any other hobby [sic] practiced by any other section of society. If you want to play with your rituals to help you commune to your imaginary sky-pixie you should do so in private where you do not affect others. As soon as you affect others then you open yourself up to the censure of society and potential prohibition. In this case, clearly they wish to do their thing regardless of the risk to others. And must be challenged.

Quote:
Ms Brimelow said Mr Hussain, chairman of the mosque's executive committee, had put forward a plan for it to open only for an hour and a half for the Jummah prayer, with a maximum of 50 worshippers and social distancing in place.

So it's not actually something that's required - it's only for those 'fortunate' 50? The rest can what? Be damned? Worship at home? What? They can't even be consistent!

But that's it - religion inculcates absolute and complete sociopathic selfishness - even to the point of disregarding fellow believers; let alone those who follow a different sky-pixie - or even worse, those who believe only in the evidence of the world about them - for whom persecution can be the only logical extension of the need to impose their religious certitude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2020 14:08 by Rich W.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 22 May, 2020 14:14
Down at the Empire we all vehemently believe in the great orbiting teapot in the sky.

Unfortunately we cannot worship this great deity in the sky before we russell anything up due to lockdown restrictions.

How do you think we feel?

GT1 22 May, 2020 14:50
Will both male & females be allowed into said mosque to pray together??

IDLETIMES 22 May, 2020 17:13
Rich, as ever bangs the nail on the head. We are all having to make rough choices at the moment. We are even now, talking about being fat, overweight and obese as the medical problems that they are rather than the p.c. fat shaming which some wish to make a crime.

johnthegrif 22 May, 2020 17:38
I think it is insulting and derogatory to many people to refer to their belief in God as a sky pixie. I personally do not attend a church, when asked I describe myself as C of E out of habit, I certainly could not belong to a religion that stopped me eating pork or drinking a pint of bitter, but I do respect people that have deeply held beliefs and live by them.
If this Mosque wants to challenge authority they have the right to do so but it must be at their own expense no public money should be used, if any group of people are allowed to meet then all groups of people can assemble. Christians have refrained from their important to them Easter services, as a nation we have allowed the 75th anniversary of V.E day to pass without communal celebration and many are denied even family birthdays , anniversary's weddings and funerals in the interest of the greater good. The believers in Islam cannot be allowed a right that is not available to us all but in denying their request we must treat them and their beliefs with due respect.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 22 May, 2020 18:09
Why do atheists have to 'respect' those that believe in God/s.

Would you respect the man who believes in the orbiting teapot merely because there's no proof it doesn't exist (apologies to B Russell).

At least the man who believes in the orbiting teapot doesn't believe in something that's caused so much misery and death throughout history.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 22 May, 2020 18:44
I also believe in the God that insists that I get in my car, drive 200 miles and go and litter the beaches while hardly maintaining social distancing.

I can't understand why I'm not respected and why I'm so despised.

IDLETIMES 22 May, 2020 19:15
There are so many social distance breeches now, is it actually achieving anything?

Rich W 22 May, 2020 19:38
I don't respect anti-vaxers, white-supremacists, creationists, flat-earthers, any number of crazy conspiracy theorists and I doubt respect people who believe in sky-pixies. Or at least I don't respect their convictions. I am familiar with their intolerance, their desire to oppress and their refusal to listen to logic.

I would in no way seek to compel them to agree with me - a courtesy they do not allow me - nor even to prevent them from enjoying their hobby, but that does not mean I should respect their beliefs nor forget the ills those beliefs have visited upon the world.

John Tee 22 May, 2020 19:43
I hope the taxpayer isnt funding this discriminatory action.

Rich W 22 May, 2020 20:06
I hope the taxpayer is funding the response.

Brownian Motion 22 May, 2020 21:51
Interesting that the Comedian in Chief thinks that churches are an 'essential service'.

America is FUBAR'd.

PrestonTiger 23 May, 2020 00:34
Quote:
Brownian Motion
Interesting that the Comedian in Chief thinks that churches are an 'essential service'.
America is FUBAR'd.

They are essential to the orange one (no not Henson... tho he'd be preferable as leader if a nuclear power to be honest) getting re-elected in November.

Brownian Motion 23 May, 2020 05:22
Who is going to re-elect him if they're all dead?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net