Latest news:

Next Game: To be confirmed....

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT The cost of food.
Discussion started by Yorkie , 01 June, 2020 20:33
OT The cost of food.
Yorkie 01 June, 2020 20:33
Is it just me or has the cost of food increased significantly during this virus? Not by a few percent but by 10, 20, 30 percent or more.

Many of the half price (and other) offers have disappeared but the few that still exist will now be priced at, say, £1.25 as a half price deal rather than just £1. So a 25% increase. Other full price stuff is more pricey too.

Under the virus, it is now said that people will tend to shop at just one supermarket and only half as often. So that supermarket will get all someone's business whereas "before virus" some people would share their food shopping around 2 or 3 supermarkets meaning that each one pushed their own offers to try and increase their customer spend. More offers, more spend. Now there is no need as once a customer steps inside, they're getting it all anyway. Even shopping on line is more limited by the massively increased demand making delivery slots much harder to come by so a single, rather than multiple, sources is becoming the norm.

Can't see this changing anytime soon either as food producers and processors/packers cost of production/sales will have increased to fit in all the extra virus demands such as social distancing at work.

Many producers have reduced the range of products they put through their factory gates to make their factory more efficient and able to produce more as demand has soared. I wonder whether this is another long term change? There are some products which haven't been on the supermarket shelves for weeks now.

Indeed, it is fairly obvious that the whole world and each individual's world has been changed significantly by this virus. Stating the obvious I know but how far reaching will these changes be and will things ever return to what was "normal" pre-virus? I, for one, doubt it.

So what other significant and insignificant changes are there?

Well the really significant change is some have lost family members. Other more obvious changes are the effects on holidays abroad and flying in general, the larger proportion of those working from home, not being able to watch sport live and even the participation in some sports, the lack of soap opera episodes for broadcast, the massive increase in government debt, to name just a few.

Some of the changes have a major ripple effect too. The lack of flying means less planes and engines needed, less aircrew, less plane maintenance people and supplies, less plane parts manufacturing, less airport throughput, smaller sales output within airports, less passenger tax collected by the government, less aviation fuel needed, etc, etc. Maybe those anti the third runway at Heathrow will now get their wish!!

With unemployment set to rise and living costs rising too, troubled times ahead for some. On a more positive note, the cost of fuel has dramatically reduced. As has the amount of traffic on the roads and the CO2 levels.

One thing that hasn't changed is that our political leaders, and the civil servants and experts behind them, continue to prove themselves to be a bunch of lying incompetent toerags, no matter which colour of flag they spout under.

So what other changes have there been or we should expect in the coming weeks/months/years? Good or bad! Obvious or unexpected?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Re: OT The cost of food.
tigerburnie 01 June, 2020 20:37
We've not been out, just having stuff delivered and noticed two of the leading robbing bar stewards have both hiked their prices when we order on line. If and when it is safe to re-join the scrum, we shall be visiting more than just the so called brand leaders.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 01 June, 2020 20:46
I've discovered my local Londis and Coop on my daily exercise walk.

Yes the prices are higher but the pleasure in finding Fullers Bengal Lancer IPA, Everards Original and Colliers Welsh Mature cheddar have been a highlight of lockdown.

Not sure about the clink of bottles in my bag and the look from passers by as I return home at 8.30am.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2020 20:47 by RushdenTiger (KT at work).

Yorkie 01 June, 2020 20:58
Yes, meant to put in the OP that local shops have seen a big upswing in trade. Bigger than even the big boys.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Yorkie 01 June, 2020 21:29

IDLETIMES 01 June, 2020 22:12
Well put Yorkie, but,as you know, I have been saying for years that M.Ps. of all parties are just a bunch of cheating lying crooks. Before C19 it wad all blamed on Brexit now it will be blamed on C19. Things will not return to how they were and we will simply have to learn to live with it. The criminal fraternity will, of course carry on as usual.
. The debt we owe the NHS, care workers and other workers who carried on will soon be forgotten as will the victims of C19

PrestonTiger 01 June, 2020 23:10
I'm sure the Big suspects are profiteering at present.
But it will come back around and bite them on the asre next year - as the impending recession hits people will tighten their belts and start to shop around again, and will less overall spend it will drive them back into a price war with the smaller Co like Aldi and Lidl taking another bite out of their plumped up rears.

Something like 1/3 of the Derby Rolls Royce aero engine business staff are to be made redundant. That will have a huge knock on here in Derbyshire as it will rip through supporting companies, all through that supply chain.

What I do predict is that when the weather gets miserable in Oct and Nov the traffic will be back up again because most people are lazy and will drive again rather than walk or bike.

GT1 01 June, 2020 23:36
I think you're wrong Idle the NHS - carers & other critical workers Wont be forgotten! No political party would dare to ignore them imho!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2020 23:42 by GT1.

Jon T 02 June, 2020 00:27
Quote:
GT1
I think you're wrong Idle the NHS - carers & other critical workers Wont be forgotten! No political party would dare to ignore them imho!!

Sorry but you are just plain wrong, the current gov care about nothing and nobody but themselves. They have bought into the art of lies deception and division perfected by Trump (and his string pullers) and will sacrifice any organisation, or group if it suits their retention of power.

Neither main party deserved to be elected, one led by a philandering, lying, narcissist. The other a weak old Trot who allowed some really unsavoury views to flourish, and didn't unfortunately have the courage of his convictions in the end to stand up and tell the nation exactly what he believed in.

The current mob have ignored the science from the start, sacrificed our elderly and ill, and are now happy to risk the rest of us. Arguably to distract from the blatant hypocrisy of Cummings, and a Cabinet (and PM) who will sacrifice anybody or thing to save his skin.

Sorry, I try to avoid politics on here, but they will sh#t on the nhs and critical workers in a heartbeat. To deflect criticism of their actions, and they have 4 more years to continue to do whatever they want, as they destroy public trust in the media and stoke hatred, to deflect from their own deeds, ala the trump playbook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 09:12 by Jon T.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 02 June, 2020 08:38
Remember when Junior Doctors were vilified by Hunt aided and abetted by the right wing newspapers.

Give it a couple of years.

Fat Boy 02 June, 2020 09:28
Quote:
RushdenTiger (KT at work)
Remember when Junior Doctors were vilified by Hunt aided and abetted by the right wing newspapers.
Give it a couple of years.

Ah, Hunt - the only main in parliament whose nickname and cockney rhyming slang name are the same.

I remember it all too well - being as I was married to one of those junior doctors at the time...

Worth also pointing out that this is the same person that removed bursaries for trainee nurses. They are currently expected to pay normal degree rates and take out massive student loans - despite the fact that they actually do their degree on the job as it were and don't get paid for that work (which is hard and extensive). So as bad as some of the reforms to junior dr contracts were, shafting the already poor nurses was even worse. They have (thankfully) realised what a stupid idea that was and from this September payments will be back. That doesn't help those who trained in the interim though, and I fully expect them to make a big song and dance about how wonderful they are to be introducing these payments - despite the fact it was them that took them away in the first place...

Another lowlight is cutting the number of training places for doctors when the Tories (and Lib Dems) first came in, despite knowing we had an ageing population and increasingly large numbers of Drs approaching retirement. They made a song and dance about increasing training numbers a few years back - while blithely ignoring the fact that the only reason they needed to be increased was that they themselves had cut them 5/6 years earlier. The rise - which was going to be a wonderful thing meaning we finally trained enough doctors to be self sufficient - was less than the cut they imposed a few years earlier. It must have cost a heck of a lot closing down training facilities and making staff redundant in 2010, then reopening and rerecruiting people 5/6 years later...

On the plus side they did get to brag about training more people, without actually spending more or even training more people (they are still training fewer than when they first came in, it's a bit like shops upping the price on a product for a few weeks before putting it 'on sale'). I believe the number of places is still less than it was when they came to power.

I'm going off on a tangent now, but for all that some complain about migration - one of the best ways to reduce it has nothing to do with controlling our borders, and everything to do with actually training up enough people with the skills we need to function as a society...

As much as I found him dull, uninspiring and with less charisma than a slug - I now wonder how much better the last few years might have been had Ed won in 2015.

GT1 02 June, 2020 09:47
Quote:
Jon T
Quote:
GT1

Sorry but you are just plain wrong, the current gov care about nothing and nobody but themselves.

Time will tell!

odd-shaped vagaries 02 June, 2020 10:16
Quote:
GT1
Quote:
Jon T
Quote:
GT1

Sorry but you are just plain wrong, the current gov care about nothing and nobody but themselves.

Time will tell!

There really is no cause to wait ... JonT and Fat Boy are spot on. As long as too many of the electorate fail to question the Etonian message then nothing will actually improve the lot of our angels, not in the long run ... there will be grand pronouncements but they will be smoke and mirrors

The referee is the final arbitrary .. dementiaaahll!

Stopsy 02 June, 2020 10:21
Don’t worry we’ll call them our heroes and bang some saucepans from time to time to deflect from chronic underfunding

johnthegrif 02 June, 2020 11:04
Responding to the original post, I have done most of my weekly shop at Aldi with the occasional visit to Sainsbury's as some old people I shop for want only brand names. I have not noticed price increases although I agree with Yorkie that there may be a reduction in the amount of special offers but as a person on my own a lot of the offers on multiple buy were not of much use to me.

Rich W 02 June, 2020 11:17
It's about time we stopped with the Thursday night clapping imo. If we have to do something like that let's start making it a protest over pay and conditions for key workers.

Stopsy 02 June, 2020 11:26
I know that Tesco had to reprice millions of offers overnight to try and make sure more people could get access to food. The increase in online was and is phenomenal. We are trying to support the local shops/farms during this time

Brownian Motion 02 June, 2020 11:48
Quote:
Rich W
It's about time we stopped with the Thursday night clapping imo. If we have to do something like that let's start making it a protest over pay and conditions for key workers.

This.

IDLETIMES 02 June, 2020 12:26
If we are going to stop this Thursday clap, then it should be done formally and end it properly on a specified date. As to the original post. Things wont be the same . It's ok now with all the banter and jokes in the 2m queue but it wont seem so funny when the rain or even snow is coming down. People are making the right noises now about using bikes and walking etc but when it comes to going to work and 2 or 3 buses go by half full because they have their quota they will soon get the car out.
. In sport I cant see lifetime s.ts. in any sport accepting being told which games they can and cannot attend. In fact s.ts. as we currently know them s.ts. may cease to exist, depending on Govt. guidelines at the time., Tigers, for instance may have a crowd restriction of 5,000

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 02 June, 2020 12:31
I think last 'Thursday's' clap was the last one according to the person who helped set it up.

That was my understanding anyway so personally won't be participating again.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net