Quote:
odd-shaped vagaries
Quote:
GT1
Quote:
Jon T
Quote:
GT1
I think you're wrong Idle the NHS - carers & other critical workers Wont be forgotten! No political party would dare to ignore them imho!!

Sorry but you are just plain wrong, the current gov care about nothing and nobody but themselves.

Time will tell!

There really is no cause to wait ... JonT and Fat Boy are spot on. As long as too many of the electorate fail to question the Etonian message then nothing will actually improve the lot of our angels, not in the long run ... there will be grand pronouncements but they will be smoke and mirrors

I agree although there will be little difference no matter who is in government and sadly there is unlikely to be any pressure on government from the electorate who will have long forgotten what they were using their pots and pans for on Thursday evenings.

Re: OT The cost of food.
johnthegrif 02 June, 2020 12:49
Sport, theatre, bars restaurants and other events where people sit or stand shoulder to shoulder will have to return to just that or frankly they will cease to exist. What we have now is a temporary measure long term I can see more people working from home and more online purchasing, but activities that need crowd attendance to survive will have to see the numbers returning. Public transport, airlines etc will have either be able to fill their buses , carriages or planes or alternatively double or treble their prices which is just not practical. The world we were used to may not return completely but economics will ensure that it will not completely vanish.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 02 June, 2020 13:09
But what's changed from end Feb to now. The virus is still out there. It hasn't gone away. Any return to well attended sports events is a pipe dream unless we accept the inevitable growth in infections and the associated deaths.

I suppose the virus may go away because it can't spread to anyone but we're just about to relax lockdown not increase it so I can't see that happening.

It goes back to the original herd immunity theory I guess. Everyone's sort of going to get it and everyone who will die of it will die of it. It was all about spreading those deaths not reducing them.

The only other solution (vaccine) seems years off.

And don't give me track and trace. This Government couldn't organise a proverbial in a brewery. And I wouldn't join in anyway simply because I don't trust this lot with my data (re app).

GT1 02 June, 2020 13:24
Seems to be a lot of anger out there atm!
Thank your lucky stars Corbyn/Abbott/Ashworth/Thornberry/McDonnell etc aren't running the country I know I do every single day!!!
I don't support any party btw!

Rich W 02 June, 2020 13:33
I struggle to see how they could have done worse. But at least you know they would have been working towards reinvesting in the NHS and its workforce instead of continuing to asset strip it.

Brownian Motion 02 June, 2020 14:41
Quote:
GT1
Thank your lucky stars Corbyn/Abbott/Ashworth/Thornberry/McDonnell etc aren't running the country I know I do every single day!!!

And yet you've bought into the pro-Tory, unsubstantiated media rhetoric.

SimonG19 02 June, 2020 15:13
This thread is beginning to mirror parliament and highlight why little has been/will be done to improve the NHS - too many people far more concerned with attacking the opposition party/each other than with addressing the problem.

Sad.

IDLETIMES 02 June, 2020 15:35
What Rushden and Rich said, bang on. We don't know what the original advice was that took us into lockdown and we have no idea what advice changed to ease it.

IDLETIMES 02 June, 2020 15:41
I don't think so SimonG. Most of us on here called for NHS staff, care workers and all the others, like the bin(wo)men who are seeing us through this crises to be paid what they are worth.

Rich W 02 June, 2020 15:44
Quote:
SimonG19
This thread is beginning to mirror parliament and highlight why little has been/will be done to improve the NHS - too many people far more concerned with attacking the opposition party/each other than with addressing the problem.
Sad.

I don't really agree - I think it reasonable to level criticism for almost a decade of disinvestment at the party that's been in government for that period. I think it reasonable to suggest that the party with a history of increasing investment in the health service, explicit policies to address this at the last election and leadership that, for all the flaws of which one might have accused it, had over many years demonstrated an idealogical bias towards such policies might actually be more inclined to take a radically different approach.

Little has been done to improve the NHS not because the Labour party has, under successive leaders, consistently argued for more investment but because the party in power has made idealogical decsions not to do so.

Yorkie 02 June, 2020 15:53
Well when I posted the OP wasn't expecting it to go all political. Was more a musing about which parts of life will have changed forever post virus and how these changes may look. Even my penultimate paragraph of the OP was a dig at all parties and not a red v blue dig.

Another business model which will have to change I'd guess is the booming on line dating/hook up sites. Even the old fashioned way of meeting across a crowded bar on a Friday night might now be lost for ever?

Wonder how the whole care home sector will look if/when it gets remodelled? Now that sector needs a massive cash injection, far more than even the NHS gets. Will care homes continue to shut up shop at such a rapid rate post virus?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

harlequinade 02 June, 2020 15:56
Quote:
Rich W
It's about time we stopped with the Thursday night clapping imo. If we have to do something like that let's start making it a protest over pay and conditions for key workers.

I agree with Rich here.
we have done our last one now.

Life is short,
and art long,
opportunity fleeting,
experimentations perilous,
and judgment difficult.

GT1 02 June, 2020 16:29
Quote:
Brownian Motion
Quote:
GT1

And yet you've bought into the pro-Tory, unsubstantiated media rhetoric.

As your name suggests you're talking out of your ar--!!
I haven't bought into anything especially anything written or spoken in the media!
Jog on there's a good chap/ess.

Brownian Motion 02 June, 2020 16:35
Someone didn't listen very well in chemistry, did they? And it's funny, you claim to have come to a conclusion all on your own that's suspiciously exactly like that espoused by the Daily Fail and the Shun. Don't like your views being challenged? Don't post them.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 02 June, 2020 16:52
I quite like John Ashworth. He's my MP.

After a conversation with my wife it was pretty clear he was no Corbyn fan.

IDLETIMES 02 June, 2020 17:07
You cant help but bring politics into this. A couple of Tory M.Ps. made me laugh, in a sad way, when they were going on about the press pack hounding Cummings, they must have missed it when they were doing the same to Corbyn

PrestonTiger 02 June, 2020 17:59
Quote:
Rich W
It's about time we stopped with the Thursday night clapping imo. If we have to do something like that let's start making it a protest over pay and conditions for key workers.

Bang on the point.

I've not been doing the clapping. Partly as usually been out on my push bike in the asre end of nowhere, but also because what I want is to see those very same nurses and carers actually paid properly instead.
It was a well intended gesture but once again let's the government off the hook for why our care system (well it's not really a system just a series of disjointed activities) is so badly supported.

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 02 June, 2020 19:26
Clapping the NHS is @#$%& all to do with the Government.

How does not clapping get the nurses and carers paid properly?

Rich W 02 June, 2020 20:00
I don't think that's what we're saying.

Yorkie 02 June, 2020 20:04
Whilst there is no doubt that junior nurses are not that well paid, there are some senior nurses who do very well. Same with doctors. And NHS managers (and what a lot of them there appears to be?) don't do too badly either. Lots of cleaners, porters and other ancillary staff don't get paid that well.

Does the NHS perhaps actually receive enough money but doesn't use it very well or distribute it fairly?

And the range in the quality of service received by the public is massive. Sometimes it is excellent and sympathetic whereas other times it is like wading thru treacle. And, to me, "service" means everyone involved. Not just the nurses and doctors.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net