Latest news:

Next Game: To be confirmed....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Telegraph reporting Tuilagi, Greg Bateman, Kyle Eastmond, Noel Reid, Jordan Taufua and Telusa Veainu
Discussion started by Jon T , 30 June, 2020 22:45
Telegraph reporting Tuilagi, Greg Bateman, Kyle Eastmond, Noel Reid, Jordan Taufua and Telusa Veainu
Jon T 30 June, 2020 22:45
As missing the deadline, [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Of those I think we'd miss Taufua the most. obviously Manu and Telusa are great players, but Telusa has missed a lot of games recently, and as much as I love Manu, his wages are massively inflated.

Re: Telegraph reporting Tuilagi, Greg Bateman, Kyle Eastmond, Noel Reid, Jordan Taufua and Telusa Veainu
Rich W 30 June, 2020 22:59
If nothing else it will leave us massively short-handed - especially at centre.

Re: Telegraph reporting Tuilagi, Greg Bateman, Kyle Eastmond, Noel Reid, Jordan Taufua and Telusa Veainu
PrestonTiger 30 June, 2020 23:15
Centres has been a dire problem for several years now you mention it.
When were we last 'stable' in the centres ? About 2013 ? (When AA got a serious injury)

Rich W 30 June, 2020 23:27
Agreed. But this year was looking like we'd finally fixed it.

odd-shaped vagaries 01 July, 2020 00:14
Quote:
Rich W

... but with room under the cap and some choice from amongst the jobless

... no matter who is to blame, if they don't want to give their all for the Club they can p155 orft

The referee is the final arbitrary

Brownian Motion 01 July, 2020 05:28
I wouldn't want to give anything to the club if they treated me the way they have the staff. Run by @#$%&.

Stopsy 01 July, 2020 07:42
I think we'd miss Taufua, Manu and to a lesser extent Telusa.

Manu is a game changer off the ball as he drags in defenders and we have seen what he can do on the ball, his defence has improved but room to grow.

Taufua give us speed and yards, great defence/turn overs.

Telusa seems to have lost something from his arrival, possibly injury/age related or just being marked better.

If the other 3 go then so be it, Bateman has done well for us.

GreenandGold22 01 July, 2020 09:43
I hope Bateman doesn't end up cutting his nose off to spite his face because he's the players rep and feels as though he has to make a stand. He's been a great club man for us and very under rated IMO. If we didn't have someone as good as Genge I think Bateman would have done a brilliant job as no.1 over the last few years

Rich W 01 July, 2020 09:49
Quote:
odd-shaped vagaries
Quote:
Rich W

... but with room under the cap and some choice from amongst the jobless

... no matter who is to blame, if they don't want to give their all for the Club they can p155 orft

Not if they all have to have their contracts paid out - that would come under the cap - so we'd lose the players and have no head room.

Otherwise, agree with Stopsy and G&G22

RushdenTiger (KT at work) 01 July, 2020 11:20
It's all going very well isn't it.

IDLETIMES 01 July, 2020 11:33
I would certainly miss V. he is a natural. Eastmond has been a big disappointment, I really thought he would do things for us. I agree with G&G about Bateman, may be cutting his off to spite his face. What can you say about Manu. A game changer when on form, a great bloke off the pitch and a much better thinker and talker about the game than some give him credit for, think he would have gone at the end of his current contract anyway

johnthegrif 01 July, 2020 11:56
The players have not been badly treated by the club, they have been well rewarded for their services. We are now in a situation where they have been paid, some very well paid even if reduced whilst there is absolutely no income coming in. The wage cap is due to be reduced dramatically and one of the marquee players will have to be included in that reduced cap paying 10% of the wages available to just one player who is only available for 2/3rd of the season barring injury is just not viable when we need a minimum of 40 players to complete a season. It is also not viable to keep paying out when nothing is coming in.

Brownian Motion 01 July, 2020 12:05
Is it Peter Tom or Tom Scott who are controlling your strings, John?

IDLETIMES 01 July, 2020 12:10
John doesn't need me or anyone else to defend his actions but I will anyway. No one controls John, he will say what he thinks needs saying on any club issue at any given time

johnthegrif 01 July, 2020 13:15
I think Brownian Motion's comment is offensive, we differ on opinion and I am open to be educated. Perhaps he will enlighten me as to how he would fund a one million pounds a month wage bill with no income coming in. I am sure I can learn, adapt the methods to my own use and stretch my pension to round the world cruises instead of a two week out of season holiday in a static caravan.

tigerburnie 01 July, 2020 13:26
I have unfortunately been in a position of being forced out of a job, 3 times I was made redundant and I felt that I was unfairly treated, even proved it one case winning a tribunal case against my former employer(that got me put on an employers federation blacklist for 6 months). There's no nice way to do this, it is difficult to find a fair way of doing this, I have been a trade union official in negotiations trying to save jobs on more than on occasion, when peoples livelihood's are at stake it is an unpleasant time for all. Without knowing any details it is not either easy or helpful to make comments about either side, I'm sure there will be intransigence on both sides, animosity on both sides and some genuine endeavour to find a solution on both sides, but like a divorce, it is unlikely that a totally happy solution will be found.

SimW 01 July, 2020 14:22
Quote:
tigerburnie
I have unfortunately been in a position of being forced out of a job, 3 times I was made redundant and I felt that I was unfairly treated, even proved it one case winning a tribunal case against my former employer(that got me put on an employers federation blacklist for 6 months). There's no nice way to do this, it is difficult to find a fair way of doing this, I have been a trade union official in negotiations trying to save jobs on more than on occasion, when peoples livelihood's are at stake it is an unpleasant time for all. Without knowing any details it is not either easy or helpful to make comments about either side, I'm sure there will be intransigence on both sides, animosity on both sides and some genuine endeavour to find a solution on both sides, but like a divorce, it is unlikely that a totally happy solution will be found.

Well said. And the players are all individuals. If you have a group of 40 people itís very likely to have a wide variety of responses to the same circumstances. But they wonít all be in the same circumstances.

Itís just a sad day.

IDLETIMES 01 July, 2020 14:25
Blimey, tigerb. that is almost a mirror image of my life's working experience and some people now begrudge us our pension as well

Yorkie 01 July, 2020 15:34
It's interesting that until the club's statement, we have only had the media dishing up what is being leaked from the player/employee side of the situation. Quite rightly, the club have stayed silent. But some seem to have made their mind up in the strongest terms that the club/employer is evil based upon one side/view of the situation. Strange.

Now if our players had shown some decorum and stayed quiet too then perhaps a calmer environment would have existed?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Marlow Nick 01 July, 2020 15:36
Quote:
johnthegrif
The wage cap is due to be reduced dramatically and one of the marquee players will have to be included in that reduced cap paying 10% of the wages available to just one player who is only available for 2/3rd of the season barring injury is just not viable when we need a minimum of 40 players to complete a season.

I agree there may be a moral argument for players taking temporary wage cuts due to loss of income from covid but legally I struggle to see how the club are not in breach of contract. The reduced cap is a red herring since it doesn't count for existing contracts and anyway clubs agreeing new league rules doesn't override player contracts. Players can only be made redundant if the club permenantly reduces the size of the squad not simply replace them. If the players stand firm they can probably claim unfair dismissal, the full value of outstanding contracts plus damages. This is crying out for calm heads and mediation beause the more I'll will created the more cash the club is likely to lose.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net